Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 d2k7x

Rang Jason Keogh in the HR department today. Garda clearance came back and they should have the contract out to me within the week and should be starting on the 31st! Delighted with myself now, never expected to get this far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tots78

Are they doing anymore interviews?

tots78 wrote: »

i couldnt tell ya but i doubt for awhile seeing as they did a whole load before the christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Arco 08

tots78 wrote: »
    What number are you tots78,im in the 480 to 600 group,im hoping to hear something fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ianfb

hi all, very new to this site. just wanted to know a few things if anyone can help ?
    i completed my aptitude test in november 2008 (group 3) came in early 400s
    i completed my interview on the 19th november 2010
    i found out i passed my interview i think it was the 9th or 10th of december. placed 30 something in order of merit it said.

it says on letter i will shortly be issued with an information pack consisting of relevant forms for completion and other information.

but my problem is that i haven't yet recieved my information pack and wait is killing me and slightly worried too ?

has anyone got a number of anyone that i might be able to call about it ?

• Advertisement

ianfb wrote: »
    hi all, very new to this site. just wanted to know a few things if anyone can help ?
    i completed my aptitude test in november 2008 (group 3) came in early 400s
    i completed my interview on the 19th november 2010
    i found out i passed my interview i think it was the 9th or 10th of december. placed 30 something in order of merit it said.

it says on letter i will shortly be issued with an information pack consisting of relevant forms for completion and other information.

but my problem is that i haven't yet recieved my information pack and wait is killing me and slightly worried too ?

has anyone got a number of anyone that i might be able to call about it ?

if i were you, i would be contacting the hr department asap! the number is 043 333 5100. i was placed 40 in order of meritand iv done my fitness and im just awaiting for my contract to arrive cos my garda clearance came through on monday.

****. gonna ring first thing in morning, twice as worried now. but puzzled as to how i haven't heard yet. thanks for your help

****. gonna ring first thing in morning, twice as worried now. but puzzled as to how i haven't heard yet. thanks for your help

sounds weird alright, hopefully you get some good news tomorrow!

and to pick your brains again, may i ask what date you completed your interview ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

d2k7x wrote: »
    Rang Jason Keogh in the HR department today. Garda clearance came back and they should have the contract out to me within the week and should be starting on the 31st! Delighted with myself now, never expected to get this far!

I rang 3 times already,last time been last thurs so I dont really want to be annoying them but im dying to know if mine came back yet!
    I was placed in the 20's after the interview and was one of the top in the physical.I was fitted for the uniform that day and told I would be starting on the 17th of jan,still no word on my clearance so its really squeaky bum time!!!!

• Advertisement

cob655 wrote: »
    I rang 3 times already,last time been last thurs so I dont really want to be annoying them but im dying to know if mine came back yet!
    I was placed in the 20's after the interview and was one of the top in the physical.I was fitted for the uniform that day and told I would be starting on the 17th of jan,still no word on my clearance so its really squeaky bum time!!!!

i rang on friday and was talking to some woman because he was away from the desk and she was saying that they still hadn arrived and that was about lunch time, so they must have arrived between then and monday morning. i was placed 40, had no bother with the fitness but them 40shuttle runs were a killer ha and we were fitted as well. there was only seven for out test, 5 repeating(only two of them passed) and myself and some other fella. Id say you will be starting on the 31st and i doubt they mind you ringing because they know people have to give notice for their other jobs, thats if they have them.

and to pick your brains again, may i ask what date you completed your interview ?

i think it was sometime in november and i did my fitness test on january 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

what i cant understand is i came in the low 30's and came second in my physical regarding shuttles etc, and i know of people who were don in the 60's that started monday whats the point giving you an order of merit if they dont go in any particular order doin the garda vetting its all a little rather strange to me and i was told not so long back that my clearance would be back last week for definit and i would have 2 weeks notice i dont know whats going on in there and i'm sick ringing hr they know me by name in there now

lozzy23 wrote: »
    what i cant understand is i came in the low 30's and came second in my physical regarding shuttles etc, and i know of people who were don in the 60's that started monday whats the point giving you an order of merit if they dont go in any particular order doin the garda vetting its all a little rather strange to me and i was told not so long back that my clearance would be back last week for definit and i would have 2 weeks notice i dont know whats going on in there and i'm sick ringing hr they know me by name in there now

I'm in the exact same boat as you,it's so annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

It might be a little different here...

And you're basing that on what experience exactly????

That video is as true as it gets without actually working in a Jail, but I'm sure you know better.........with all your experience and everything.....

any news on how people got on that started on monday? what happens on your first day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

480905 wrote: »
    And you're basing that on what experience exactly????

That video is as true as it gets without actually working in a Jail, but I'm sure you know better.........with all your experience and everything.....

Look up the word 'might'.
    Then re-read what I said.

Incase you're too lazy to do that, I'll break it down for you.
    By inclusion of the word 'might', I haven't actually claimed to know what it's like in an Irish jail.
    Everything I've said is just speculation, because I don't actually know.
    And that's why I was clever enough to include the word 'might'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Is your name really dingdong?

Cant wait to meet you, its nice to be around people of superior intellect, raises the tone dont you know. You should apply your manner to the inmates, they will respect you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Ps. Stop digging bud.

Look up the word 'might'.
    Then re-read what I said.

Incase you're too lazy to do that, I'll break it down for you.
    By inclusion of the word 'might', I haven't actually claimed to know what it's like in an Irish jail.
    Everything I've said is just speculation, because I don't actually know.
    And that's why I was clever enough to include the word 'might'.

YO Dingdong.
    You said might... ( an auxiliary verb, which, can be used to express possibility OR advisability ), because in your own head... you think, "Sure it cant be like that really ,no , because I reckon its not like that , it can't be".
    Sure what do these lads who are in years and some who are only after joining know. Not more than me, surely not.
    SenorDingDong, me oul flower, I'm being hard on you now for a reason....If you join up with an attitude like "I know everything" and " What do these lads know?" You'll have a long LONG service. People come in with attitudes like yours, and, invariably say something ,do something or just be themselves and they achieve a reputation and - God Forbid - a nickname, that follows them around for life. I was told in training years ago , Keep both holes on the side of your head wide open, and keep the big hole under your nose firmly shut.... Advice to this day I hold very close. And if you've any cop on whatsoever you'll do the same.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any more update on when they expect to get more clearances back?like has any come back yet this week,any expected back by friday?
    every day I check the post and its not there im cracking up a little more and more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

480905 wrote: »
    YO Dingdong.
    You said might... ( an auxiliary verb, which, can be used to express possibility OR advisability ), because in your own head... you think, "Sure it cant be like that really ,no , because I reckon its not like that , it can't be".
    Sure what do these lads who are in years and some who are only after joining know. Not more than me, surely not.
    SenorDingDong, me oul flower, I'm being hard on you now for a reason....If you join up with an attitude like "I know everything" and " What do these lads know?" You'll have a long LONG service. People come in with attitudes like yours, and, invariably say something ,do something or just be themselves and they achieve a reputation and - God Forbid - a nickname, that follows them around for life. I was told in training years ago , Keep both holes on the side of your head wide open, and keep the big hole under your nose firmly shut.... Advice to this day I hold very close. And if you've any cop on whatsoever you'll do the same.

I said might, as in, expressing possibility.

The rest of your post all well and good, except you're yet to point out where I professed to know everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Does anyone have any more update on when they expect to get more clearances back?like has any come back yet this week,any expected back by friday?
    every day I check the post and its not there im cracking up a little more and more!
    I'm going to ring HR tomorrow.

for the kids that are fighting on this i'm sure there are plenty of playgrounds for yee to b*tch at each other this post is for recruits and potential recruits a bit annoying logging in and seeing your immature comments. Haven't heard anything myself and its becoming very frustrating at the minute going to ring HR tomorrow and see what the story is the recruits that went in monday were obviously told not to post anything on boards or other sites. I'm starting to wonder if the embargo has been put back in place and thats why we're not hearing anything i'll go mad if it does happen, post up the feedback you get from HR tomorrow incase i don't get a chance to ring them cheers

Yea im sick of hearing people spamming up this forum with their fighting when all i want to see is some info about the clearances..
    I'll give them a ring either tomorrow to the day after.

I still cant believe I was told i was starting on the 17th,then to find out my clearance still wasnt back.then to be told I was starting on the 31st.

when i ask if my clearance would be back by then all i got was "we dont know",so I asked what happens if its not,the answer was "we'll have to apply for another class and some one else will take your place",I then asked what the likely hood of another class starting was and when might it start,like it could be another year or two,the answer was "we wouldnt know untill we appliedand yes your right it could be a few years down the line".

If it came to that I wouldnt stop until I found out why I was placed in the top 1/4 of recruits(on merit) but yet was pass up for a job I gained fairly because my clearance was sent last...

lozzy23 wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if the embargo has been put back in place and thats why we're not hearing anything i'll go mad if it does happen, post up the feedback you get from HR tomorrow incase i don't get a chance to ring them cheers

i doubt the embargo has been put back in place because i rang monday to find out about my garda clearance and he said it returned and they would have my contract sent out within a week. i only passed my fitness on the 7th of january and im guessing yours was before the christmas so it should be back by now!

Here's how the clearance system works........The forms for the people for clearance are given to the Gardai to vet by the Civil Service. A couple of weeks later they arrive, given the time to put all the forms in the right envelope and deliver them to the right person or section( I'm Not Kidding). The forms are put into a pile on top of the forms that are already there for the lads to clear. It could be a dozen or it could be 300 forms that are required for clearance .Out of maybe 6, members in the vetting section ( Garda A goes on leave, Garda B is out sick , Garda C is required in court,Garda D is on maternity) leaving one member and the Skipper ( If they're lucky) . The Skipper in charge does his/her best but he/she hasn't got the staff. There may be external agency enquiries required for each clearance, i.e. court judgements, license enquiries, conviction results etc . But in the Courts Service, officer A is on leave, Officer B is out sick.... ETC ETC ETC.
    So for the people waiting for Clearance, welcome to the Civil Service , where you have to take your turn and wait until the system gets around to you......No matter how much giving out or calling or ringing the HR section you do, there's NOTHING they can do until the form comes from Harcourt SQ with the clearance attached. That's how it works.

I rang there, still not back yet. They said there still waiting on loads.

yes cob bit sick of hearing that dont know what the hold up is with them, its getting alot closer to the time now, like surely they can process at least 5 a day so that only leaves 16 working days for them to clear 80 clearances I dont know what we're going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

I rang there, still not back yet. They said there still waiting on loads.
    Same here. Very disheartened by the whole thing.

Advertisement