Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dog golf

ianfb wrote: »
    hi all, very new to this site. just wanted to know a few things if anyone can help ?
    i completed my aptitude test in november 2008 (group 3) came in early 400s
    i completed my interview on the 19th november 2010
    i found out i passed my interview i think it was the 9th or 10th of december. placed 30 something in order of merit it said.

it says on letter i will shortly be issued with an information pack consisting of relevant forms for completion and other information.

but my problem is that i haven't yet recieved my information pack and wait is killing me and slightly worried too ?

has anyone got a number of anyone that i might be able to call about it ?

ianfb i'm in the same boat done my interview on 25th of november placed 42. Rang ips hr the other day and was told that only 20 people were were sent for the physical from the november interviews. They actually didnt intend on doing the november interviews but they didnt get enough canditates out of the september and october interviews they also couldn't give me any info when a possible date for a physicals they have had no mandate to recruit. we'll just have to hang on another while

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

I'm just after been talking to a few lads i know that have gone into ballad one of them only done his interview in November and another got more than 30 places behind me in october its such a load of crap ya think when you've got so high at interview stage and then again at physical that you should be one of the first in obviously not the case just shows that some of the posters are right on here bout the civil service that whoever had sent there garda clearance in first are put to the bottom and the last in gets seen to first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

If mine doesnt come back next week and I dont get into the class on teh 31st,who is at fault.Like who am i gunning for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 d2k7x

cob655 wrote: »
    If mine doesnt come back next week and I dont get into the class on teh 31st,who is at fault.Like who am i gunning for?

its nobodies fault. you cant help that there is a backlog and if your gunning for somebody, well mate your digging your own grave! why would they give u a job if your on the end of the phone giving out! just relax mate, i bet theyl be back next week and you will be starting on the 31st and hey if not at least down the line they will offer you a place.

d2k7x wrote: »
    its nobodies fault. you cant help that there is a backlog and if your gunning for somebody, well mate your digging your own grave! why would they give u a job if your on the end of the phone giving out! just relax mate, i bet theyl be back next week and you will be starting on the 31st and hey if not at least down the line they will offer you a place.

yea im just having a bit of a rant.I just think if im placed higher than someone I should get the job before people further down the line,like I was ment to start on the 17th and now its not looking good for the 31st.I know I have nothing on my record so why wasnt my clearance done before people who were placed behind me after the interviews and fitness tests....?

• Advertisement

yea im just having a bit of a rant.I just think if im placed higher than someone I should get the job before people further down the line,like I was ment to start on the 17th and now its not looking good for the 31st.I know I have nothing on my record so why wasnt my clearance done before people who were placed behind me after the interviews and fitness tests....?

ah god well hopefully they pull the thumb out quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Picture this.... IPS gets a call from a prospective recruit for the 10th time that week, they are told .. YET AGAIN... that clearance wasn't back and that when it was, a letter would be sent straight away or they'd be contacted by phone..... Now here's the conversation with the HR colleagues after the call....
    HR 1 - "Jesus that's your man/woman ringing again about the fecking clearance..I told them each time they rang that as soon as it got back they'd be informed....How many Jaysus times do you have to be told something"
    HR 2 - " Your man whatshisface?? Ringing again?? FFS, He only rang me fecking yesterday... Is he for real??? Do they not understand its OUT OF OUR HANDS??? He's really getting up my nose now....

Lads, the last thing you want to do is p1ss off the people who are responsible for getting the clearance sorted, I've no doubt they are doing their best to get it moving but as has been said, these things take time..
    And as for "Gunning for someone"..as a poster said previously, that attitude is certainly not going to win friends and influence people in IPS if you come out with that on the phone....That might work in your present situation but, believe me, it'll get you alienated from the very people who are there to help you. Everybody just needs to calm down and it will very probably work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Also guys remember that all of the trainers in beladd and Im sure plenty of people in IPS read this forum. They can easily firgure out who you are if your ringing and then mouthing off. Be careful

I tried to explain how the clearance thing worked. It's very possible the Vetting Unit sent an enquiry to your local Garda station and haven't got anything back yet because the Garda they asked hasn't got around to it or is on more serious cases... Have you tried ringing your local station to see if there has been an enquiry?? Maybe that might hurry things along. Ring the local station business hours and ask to speak to the Skipper or the Officer In Charge. It may help...

480905 wrote: »
    I tried to explain how the clearance thing worked. It's very possible the Vetting Unit sent an enquiry to your local Garda station and haven't got anything back yet because the Garda they asked hasn't got around to it or is on more serious cases... Have you tried ringing your local station to see if there has been an enquiry?? Maybe that might hurry things along. Ring the local station business hours and ask to speak to the Skipper or the Officer In Charge. It may help...

yea did this two weeks ago and the chief said all the info was with the clearance team and that he would give them a ring and see if he could get it done a bit quicker..

• Advertisement

Picture this.... IPS gets a call from a prospective recruit for the 10th time that week, they are told .. YET AGAIN... that clearance wasn't back and that when it was, a letter would be sent straight away or they'd be contacted by phone..... Now here's the conversation with the HR colleagues after the call....
    HR 1 - "Jesus that's your man/woman ringing again about the fecking clearance..I told them each time they rang that as soon as it got back they'd be informed....How many Jaysus times do you have to be told something"
    HR 2 - " Your man whatshisface?? Ringing again?? FFS, He only rang me fecking yesterday... Is he for real??? Do they not understand its OUT OF OUR HANDS??? He's really getting up my nose now....

Lads, the last thing you want to do is p1ss off the people who are responsible for getting the clearance sorted, I've no doubt they are doing their best to get it moving but as has been said, these things take time..
    And as for "Gunning for someone"..as a poster said previously, that attitude is certainly not going to win friends and influence people in IPS if you come out with that on the phone....That might work in your present situation but, believe me, it'll get you alienated from the very people who are there to help you. Everybody just needs to calm down and it will very probably work out.

I have rang no more than 4 times in the last month and was more than polite.All I have asked each time was if it was back yet.no more no less.

like im sure its ok for some people to wait,but im a married man with a child and a mortgage and bills to worry about.And to make things worse tomorrow is my last day in my job as i fully expected to have my contract by now,never mind before the 17th.
    If im not allowed be a little annoyed by this whole thing then somebody is living in lala land..

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

If im not allowed be a little annoyed by this whole thing then somebody is living in lala land..

You think this is annoying....Wait for recalls, AH, Rostes, Conscription, The pension levies, dealing with scum and then dealing with the prisoners...

You're nearly there...patience is an important part of the job, so use this as part of your training...

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

I have rang no more than 4 times in the last month and was more than polite.All I have asked each time was if it was back yet.no more no less.

like im sure its ok for some people to wait,but im a married man with a child and a mortgage and bills to worry about.And to make things worse tomorrow is my last day in my job as i fully expected to have my contract by now,never mind before the 17th.

No offence bud but if i'm taking you right on the above and you finished your job because as you say you fully expected your contract by now that was a bit stupid, anythin could happen, that class on the 31st could be cancelled and put back months,get used to things and your plans changing literally at the last minute, if your looking to direct a bit of anger at someone maybe try the mirror!!

Sure the prison service told us the day we did the fitness text."if you pass today your starting on the 17th of jan".I know a chap who had finished up his job the friday before that and rang to find out where he would be sleeping only to find out the class was already full.
    And then I was told the week before the 17th that because my clearance didnt come back the week before the 17th that i would definitely be starting on the 31st and it was definitely going ahead.(maybe i will still start on that date but its very much so squeaky bum time...)
    I had to give 2 weeks notice and work said i could leave after a week so thats why im finishing up 2mo..

I know the lads in HR as fed up as we are,their more than helpful any time ive spoke to them.
    Its the vetting office I cant understand,is there not any order to who gets vetted next or is it just a lucky dip into the pile?

Sure the prison service told us the day we did the fitness text."if you pass today your starting on the 17th of jan".I know a chap who had finished up his job the friday before that and rang to find out where he would be sleeping only to find out the "class was already full".
    And then I was told the week before the 17th that because my clearance didnt come back the week before the 17th that i would definitely be starting on the 31st and it was definitely going ahead.(maybe i will still start on that date but its very much so squeaky bum time...)
    I had to give 2 weeks notice and work said i could leave after a week so thats why im finishing up 2mo..

I know the lads in HR as fed up as we are,their more than helpful any time ive spoke to them.
    Its the vetting office I cant understand,is there not any order to who gets vetted next or is it just a lucky dip into the pile?

class was already full = a list of names came back and were cleared, they were informed of a start date.

who gets vetted next or is it just a lucky dip into the pile? = I've already explained how things work, Read back over those posts. Circumstances dictate when a candidate is cleared. There may be any number of reasons why it's not through. It doesn't matter who's next or who was first in the queue or who passed this and that....When you're cleared ,you're cleared.

Who removed the Video????

Some people just can't leave things alone.

What D1ckhead took it upon himself to decide what can or can't be posted ????

Do I need to ask???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Still here as far as I can see...

I just went back a few pages and there it was and the moderator log is empty, which means the post wasn't tampered with by anyone on the site.

I'm very taken aback by the tone of this post by the way. :confused:
    Who removed the Video????

Some people just can't leave things alone.

What D1ckhead took it upon himself to decide what can or can't be posted ????

Do I need to ask???

Not directed at you so no need to be taken aback. .If it was directed at you , I'd say it. It's directed at the people who decide to interfere with posts and move them or delete them without consultation with the poster.

anyone hear anything today didn't get a chance to ring them up in HR its not looking good though is it only 5 working days left:(

• Advertisement

Not a word yet, I only rang yesterday so not gonna ring yet today but if you end up ringing will you ask if many came back since yesterday. Thanks

only five working days for these clearances to come through!!!!

only five working days for these clearances to come through!!!!

Not looking good!!
    does anyone know how many of the 40 clearances already came back?like over half,less than half??

PMA lads think we're going to need for someone to take there finger out down in the garda vetting office to, just dont understand what way this works how can peope who have done there interview a month later have there garda clearance back already were there forms put on top of ours or what?

Dont have a clue,every thing just seems so wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I know the feeling.
    I wanted to give my boss as much notice as possible, but held off until the contract arrived.

He got five days notice because that's all I was able to give him.

What's the story with the class starting on the 31st?
    Have those taking part been told as much or is the group yet to be selected?

I know the feeling.
    I wanted to give my boss as much notice as possible, but held off until the contract arrived.

He got five days notice because that's all I was able to give him.

What's the story with the class starting on the 31st?
    Have those taking part been told as much or is the group yet to be selected?

did you get your contract??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

did you get your contract??

Oh sorry, I did get my contract.
    I got it on the 7th, and started on the 17th.

Not great in terms of notice but I guess that's just how the system works.
    My understanding is that it is the clearance that slows everything.

Oh sorry, I did get my contract.
    I got it on the 7th, and started on the 17th.

Not great in terms of notice but I guess that's just how the system works.
    My understanding is that it is the clearance that slows everything.

Yea its the clearance that slows the show,I was told I was starting on the 17th but here I am and still not sure if it will be back before the 31st.
    What I was told is a class will go ahead on the 31st as long as they have enough to start a class,now dont know if that means the full 40 people or 30 or 20 or what ever...

• Advertisement

i was told that the class is goin ahead no matter wat whether that be with 20 people in it or whatever, anyone ring this morning? dont wana be annoyin them up in HR they cant hurry it on but somehow i dont think i'm goin to be startin monday.:mad:

Advertisement