Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

did HR tell you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

yes the other day when i rang up wasn't jason tho, any news from them today have ya rang them or anything?

I'm going to ring them later

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

will ya post up whatever they say to ya or pm me good man not going to get a chance to ring them today will wait till tomorrow or wednesday and i'll let you know what i get told cheers

just rang them there now. Still no clearance back. They put in another request today to try and speed things up but thats all they can do. not going to ring them again now. If i don't hear from them by friday i'll assume the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 d2k7x

Just got the call from the HR Department. Im starting in Portlaoise on Monday for my training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

me too!I hope every one else gets word soon too,I know the feeling of waiting and its not nice at all!

Best of luck lads.

cheers mate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

d2k7x wrote: »
    Just got the call from the HR Department. Im starting in Portlaoise on Monday for my training!

Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bowdie4733

Congrats Lads and hope the rest of ye get good news soon!!! See ye In Bellad Monday and dont forget the Kiwi Show Polish!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Things have a habit of working themselves out. Well done all who got contracts. Ears open, mouth shut when you start. Loudmouths stick out like huge sore thumbs. Again well done.

thanks guys/girls!
    was just wondering what exactly do i bring with me on the first day?

Turn up with a bag for a week stay away from home. Bring tracksuit, runners and you should be pretty much set. You'll know better at the and of the first week what to have for the next week. No need for towels or bedding or anything like that. Kiwi polish not necessary as cream supplied with boots , But you cant beat a Parade Gloss finish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No recession around here! I'm half expecting you to say they get a free Selvyt cloth too!
    480905 wrote: »
    Kiwi polish not necessary as cream supplied with boots

On our first day we were told to use kiwi and kiwi alone.
    I chanced my arm with a tin of punch and it didn't work, so I had to work twice as hard on my boots when i finally got the kiwi.

So my advice to you is to get the kiwi from the get go, and ask your mother if she would mind teaching you to sew buttons because the buttons on your tunic will fall off.

Also, ironing is a big thing down here..if you don't already know how to iron your cloths, again, ask your mother to give you a quick lesson.

On our first day we were told to use kiwi and kiwi alone.

And the ones telling you can only polish the toes.....?? would I be right?

psni wrote: »
    No recession around here! I'm half expecting you to say they get a free Selvyt cloth too!

Nothing as extravagant. The boots are a great bit of kit though, some like them some don't. Although they look sh1te with the uniform trousers it has to be said.

And the ones telling you can only polish the toes.....?? would I be right?

Not sure what you mean...
    We were told to do the fronts and backs, but not the higher parts of the boot that would be covered by the trousers.

Did you do something different?

No, Some people only bull the toes..That really annoys me and looks ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Best of luck to all starting on the 31st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Recruit

So my advice to you is to get the kiwi from the get go, and ask your mother if she would mind teaching you to sew buttons because the buttons on your tunic will fall off.

Also, ironing is a big thing down here..if you don't already know how to iron your cloths, again, ask your mother to give you a quick lesson.

Nice to see sexism is alive and well here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Recruit

Got the call :D, starting on Monday, can't wait to get stuck in. Been waiting for this a long time.

For those of you already down there, have you been told what prisons to expect to be sent to? Is it definately Dublin? Are the shifts in each prison different or is it 8 - 8 across the board?

Cheers lads

Nice to see sexism is alive and well here :rolleyes:

haha we'l have a few andy grays ere!!

Got the call :D, starting on Monday, can't wait to get stuck in. Been waiting for this a long time.

For those of you already down there, have you been told what prisons to expect to be sent to? Is it definately Dublin? Are the shifts in each prison different or is it 8 - 8 across the board?

Cheers lads

starting monday myself, actually cant wait but dont know what to expect at all. i think while we'r training its 8-5 not too sure though, i think i read it somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m1se

Cheers lads

Everyone starts in Dublin. Most dont want to go to Mountjoy but when they get there dont want to leave. There is waiting lists for all Prisons outside Dublin. Castlerea is about 2.5 years, Portlaoise/Midlands is around 5 years, Limerick is 4 years and Cork just forget about it. The people starting off will be 8 - 5 and when get roster will be 8 - 8 most times.

No, Some people only bull the toes..That really annoys me and looks ridiculous.

Yeah, I see alot of that, and I could be wrong, but some of the staffs shoes look that way too. But if that's what's done than so be it.
    Nice to see sexism is alive and well here
    You know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

If you bull more than the toes the polish tends to crack and it looks terrible

d2k7x wrote: »
    starting monday myself, actually cant wait but dont know what to expect at all. i think while we'r training its 8-5 not too sure though, i think i read it somewhere![/QUOTE

Correct.... for the Beladd phase of your training, and then when you get posted to a Prison , you'll be on a roster (hopefully) for the next 2/3 years of training.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

During your training can you put a request in for what prison you would like?if so what are the easiest to get to coming from the M1?

Advertisement