Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

uachtar99 wrote: »
    I dunno if thats accurate, but if it is keep in mind thats without overtime aka annualised hours. Still a bit low when compared to senior officers but you will get there.

A bit low is an understatement. Even with the roster and AH it will still be way short of those who started only a few months previous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Is this true?
    Any word on your clearance yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 uachtar99

A bit low is an understatement. Even with the roster and AH it will still be way short of those who started only a few months previous

Good point. Not saying I agree with it for a moment, just trying to stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Thats why I said a good few posts back that anybody joining the service should think long and hard about it. The wages are muck for new recruits. Family Income support forms are being requested left right and centre.
    BL makes a good point.
    But when was I talking when I shouldn't have been?
    What specifically, did I say that I should not have said?

I'll go back to the video I posted. It reflects life here very accurately. You reckoned it didn't. You Even told people who were in that they were in the wrong job and that it must be different. Basing this on nothing else but your own opinion.Thinking you know everything is grand, As I'm sure you aren't stupid by any means, but telling people you know better is considered talking too much....especially in Prison, cos they will f''king destroy you if you come across as being mouthy, and I don't mean Prisoners either. Just one to watch for your own sake. Plus the fact you've over 7000 posts here so I'd say that you'd have loads to say anyway. Not a bad thing either ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

480905 wrote: »
    I'll go back to the video I posted. It reflects life here very accurately. You reckoned it didn't.
    Again, I didn't say your video was inaccurate, I said it might be different here, than in America, where the video originated. Might. Not must.
    I made this point with you before.
    But this pertains to one incident, you said I have a tendency to do this. When else have I done this?
    You Even told people who were in that they were in the wrong job and that it must be different. Basing this on nothing else but your own opinion.
    Yep, this would be common sense, and is a sentiment that seems to be re-iterated by many of the staff I've encountered.
    If you don't like the job, quit. Don't come to a message board to terrify and lampoon would be recruits.
    Thinking you know everything is grand, As I'm sure you aren't stupid by any means, but telling people you know better is considered talking too much....especially in Prison, cos they will f''king destroy you if you come across as being mouthy, and I don't mean Prisoners either.
    Do you not see the irony in labelling me as a loud mouth know it all, only to come down on me like the tonne of bricks, telling me how it really is?
    Just one to watch for your own sake. Plus the fact you've over 7000 posts here so I'd say that you'd have loads to say anyway. Not a bad thing either ....
    Come on....you looked at my post count and didn't look a millimetre above it to see that I signed up here in 2004?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

And what do you do Martin?

You know what I do , dont be a smartarse , I was just being polite that you are defying a governors order in Beladd by posting here , thats all.Are you going to do the same in whatever prison you are posted to, taking your own badly formed iniative and putting other po's at risk because you know it all.

You're attitude stinks , experienced officers are posting the same about you and trust me ,these are the same guys you are going to need on your side , you wont last a week without their advice, you are going to learn the hard way when you do get inside .You are really setting yourself up because loads more po's read this than post on here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

@martingore - One and only on-thread warning: Don't get personal. Attack the post, not the poster.

martingore wrote: »
    You know what I do , dont be a smartarse , I was just being polite that you are defying a governors order in Beladd by posting here , thats all.
    You weren't being polite, you were being smart, and are you not defying the same order?
    I missed that order anyway, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the governors orders during the week.
    Are you going to do the same in whatever prison you are posted to, taking your own badly formed iniative and putting other po's at risk because you know it all.
    Elaborate on how anything that I've said or done would result in what you've said above.
    You're attitude stinks ,
    So you and another poster have said, but you are yet to explain in what way that my attitude stinks. I would think I have quite a positive attitude.
    Or is that the type of attitude that is hated in the prison service?
    experienced officers are posting the same about you and trust me ,these are the same guys you are going to need on your side , you wont last a week without their advice, you are going to learn the hard way when you do get inside .You are really setting yourself up because loads more po's read this than post on here.
    I won't last a week without their advice?
    Ok, thanks for all your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

There will be a moment in life when you'll know the time to stop rubbing people up the wrong way...This is one of those moments.

It might not be a Governors order, But it is a local order..
    They do things like that to help protect you and the the job in which you are about to start working in..

You've done you week on the job, Please tell me that you found it to be beneficial...That you learned how to read the body language of the officers as well as the prisoners.. I hope that when you return to Beladd tomorrow, You will remember what its all about...Teamwork, Its quite simple, Be a Jackass if it suits you, But remember that its Team of people who come running in the Blue Wave to help you when the alarm goes off.. And being hateful / overconfident / smartass to others, wont do you any favours.. 30 years on the job is a long time to have people holding a grudge..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm calling time on this 'back and forth' between one side and the other.

Let it go folks. You won't get on with everyone you meet in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

No , you're not calling time on this <mod snip>

2-week sabbatical for martingore for back seat modding, refusing to comply with moderator instructions, and discussing moderator actions on-thread.

No further comment on this please and thanks.

Back on topic please.

martingore wrote: »
    No , you're not calling time on this <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Let it go folks. You won't get on with everyone you meet in life.

Point taken Mr. Mod,but you should at least expect to get on with people who one day might end up saving your life or you theirs,and that is no exageration.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

cant we all just get along ha

any news about any classes starten up

No sign or word of any more classes mate, Not for the foreseeable. I'd say the change in government would have a say in how many more classes may be taken on.

ye thats what i was afraid of still waiting on pct jason in hr told me to ring him if i hadnt heard anything by the end of feb i know there is still aload of weeks left in the last one would just like a date something to look forward to

Infracted for discussing forum moderation on-thread.

As you were.

Point taken Mr. Mod,but you should at least expect to get on with people who one day might end up saving your life or you theirs,and that is no exageration.

This is a video about our colleagues in New Yorks' Department of Corrections. Note the Superman music...The poster of the video is BBKerik...aka Bernard Kerik, the then Head of the Department, who went on to be the NYPD Boss under Rudy Giuliani.....Bernard is now residing in one of his Jails as he was convicted of a litany crimes.

Oh how the mighty fall..

Just thought you might be interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/nyregion/19kerik.html

Well let's face it, he deserves jail time for compiling such a contrived piece of tripe like that. They must be in dire need of POs over there.
    480905 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Arco 08

Anybody know if theres goin to be any more interviews,Im thinking of heading to australia,Id hate to hang around for another year waiting for the call only to be told that another recruitment campaign is starting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

psni wrote: »
    Well let's face it, he deserves jail time for compiling such a contrived piece of tripe like that. They must be in dire need of POs over there.

In fairness, it's no more contrived than any of the other sh1te that every other PD, FD and sheriffs dept in the states puts out.

The other thing is that they are trying to make a difficult, dangerous and sometimes monotonous job seem glamorous.

Every job uses the most high profile and prestigious units when advertising and recruiting (police use bikes, mounted, air and K9 etc), they don't show a Guard standing on the street in the lashing rain directing traffic getting abuse roared at them.
    I definitely didn't see the PSNI showing lads looking under cars or moving house cause of threats in their last recruitment campaign.
    If the NYDoC showed you standing on a landing getting piss and **** thrown down on you then they would be in even worse need of officers.

In saying that, the use of the superman music is inexcusable, it should really have been the birdy song.

Arco 08 wrote: »
    Anybody know if theres goin to be any more interviews,Im thinking of heading to australia,Id hate to hang around for another year waiting for the call only to be told that another recruitment campaign is starting.

I think the only one that could really tell you is HR and even then I would expect that their hands would be tied by DoF/DoJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

uachtar99 wrote: »
    Good point. Not saying I agree with it for a moment, just trying to stay positive.
    sure why wouldn't you be positive? all you do is sit on your hole all day teaching recruits who look up to you.
    you are not on their wages. you have a nice income even after all the cuts. get a grip man!

d2k7x wrote: »
    Hell of a lot less!
    lol it is actually. it was based on 3 weeks not 2 weeks. the shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Heard that recruitment might be starting again this year, any truth in this?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Does anyone know how many people got letters after the apptitude test in 2008. Was it the top 1000 or 2000 or what?

Does anyone know how many people got letters after the apptitude test in 2008. Was it the top 1000 or 2000 or what?

i dont know how many but if you passed you got letter i passed and i was around 400 if that helps

Tones69 wrote: »
    Heard that recruitment might be starting again this year, any truth in this?!

what do u mean recruitment a new campaign i realy dont think so they are not long done with the 07 lot and aren't even half way thru the 08 group
    plus that would cost money they dont have could be wrong though

Wind your neck in bitter_lemon. Attack the post, not the poster.

As you were..
    get a grip man!

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    Wind your neck in bitter_lemon. Attack the post, not the poster.

As you were..
    ok i just saw this. what does this mean? <mod snip>

Advertisement