Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

The only rule you need know or remember in any great detail is Rule 110 - 1947 rules.
    ( I think its rule 93 now)

An Officer shall not strike a prisoner, unless compelled to do so in self defence, and if so compelled, minimum force as is deemed necessary shall be used. AMEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

cordub wrote: »
    good luck with them ;);) would love to catch up with you in a few years and see what you think of work than , will this thread still be going I wonder lol

Cheers bud, yeah by the looks of things this thread will go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Cheers bud, yeah by the looks of things this thread will go on forever.
    yeah but will we lol ?????

yeah but will we lol ?????

Probably not, we'll be taxed out of existence within the next decade.

Probably not, we'll be taxed out of existence within the next decade.
    24 years soon yeha , what has changed ???? nothing even our wages nearly the same lol:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

So your wages are now the same as they were twenty four years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

So your wages are now the same as they were twenty four years ago?
    yeah you stick it to her! hope you didn't piss your money away and invested it wisely :D

hey how are the pct tests going? how are the shuttle runs going? i am doing quite well. i can do the whole circuit in 15 seconds. how is everybody else getting on? :confused:

salut wrote: »
    Most of the lads gone out for a few pints. Some like ding dong wit his nose in the books:rolleyes:. whats the story with rookies havin a bit of nookie. is it ok?
    sure it is buddy! get in there before the bosses though ;)

yeah you stick it to her! hope you didn't piss your money away and invested it wisely :D

hey how are the pct tests going? how are the shuttle runs going? i am doing quite well. i can do the whole circuit in 15 seconds. how is everybody else getting on? :confused:
    I did of course im a lucky one would hate to be starting again !! i reckon you factor in the standard of living with the wages we are on today we would nearly be the same as back 24 years ago with the wages we got then!!! there would have been no one entitled to FIS when we were new to the job surely that alone tells you something :(:(:(

I did of course im a lucky one would hate to be starting again !! i reckon you factor in the standard of living with the wages we are on today we would nearly be the same as back 24 years ago with the wages we got then!!! there would have been no one entitled to FIS when we were new to the job surely that alone tells you something :(:(:(
    ah no no no this is worse. but wait you went through the 80's recession. is this worse or the same do you think? comparing everything. i have spoke to a few different people. they say different things. what do you think?

• Advertisement

I don't understand? Invested what?
    I did my pct ages ago!

I don't understand? Invested what?
    I did my pct ages ago!
    it went over your head. don't worry about it.

Is it a joke about how the pct was un necessary?

Is it a joke about how the pct was un necessary?
    no
    bitch-please--large-msg-124148364172.jpg

ah no no no this is worse. but wait you went through the 80's recession. is this worse or the same do you think? comparing everything. i have spoke to a few different people. they say different things. what do you think?
    BL im afraid to say i think this is much worse for those in our job , I think a awful lot of lads that joined our job in the last 10 years could be in big trouble . talking to lads they say that most of the younger fellas bought houses in the boom time and were given huge mortgages , our pay has drastically dropped plus a lot of the lads would have based their repayments factoring in overtime which was huge depending on where you worked, I think a dublin PO could nearly work around the clock depending on what jail they worked in . I reckon there is NO WAY our wages will ever rise to the rates they were so I personally dont see any thing getting better for us. I suppose the lads only starting in the job now have a realistic idea of the wages and know they wont vary much so i suppose the really new fellas wont be too bad, much better than the dole I think if your a single fella , not too sure if it is if you have a family starting on the basic wage , How does my opinion vary from others???

Well partly I think we're better off starting now since our wages are so low we are not likely to over-shoot our limits with over priced mortgages.

BL im afraid to say i think this is much worse for those in our job , I think a awful lot of lads that joined our job in the last 10 years could be in big trouble . talking to lads they say that most of the younger fellas bought houses in the boom time and were given huge mortgages , our pay has drastically dropped plus a lot of the lads would have based their repayments factoring in overtime which was huge depending on where you worked, I think a dublin PO could nearly work around the clock depending on what jail they worked in . I reckon there is NO WAY our wages will ever rise to the rates they were so I personally dont see any thing getting better for us. I suppose the lads only starting in the job now have a realistic idea of the wages and know they wont vary much so i suppose the really new fellas wont be too bad, much better than the dole I think if your a single fella , not too sure if it is if you have a family starting on the basic wage , How does my opinion vary from others???
    it pretty much tallys up with the general consensus. thanks very much for that. i am in the same position. i got a bit down there for a while about the whole scenario. i just can't see a way out. i work long hours to just make ends meet.
    the problem i had - i was always going out and money was no option. i used to have a great time. but i have finally come to terms that i am lucky to go out once or twice a month. i used to be a social creature so its saturday night and i won't be going out this weekend. :(

there is no point in getting bitter. i am the only one suffering. so i intend to smile a lot and get through it the best i can. once i have come to terms with that i will be allright. took a long time coming though i tell you. :)

Well partly I think we're better off starting now since our wages are so low we are not likely to over-shoot our limits with over priced mortgages.
    i do admire your positivity. i'm 3/4s of the way there :)
    but you must remember when i got my mortgage i believed i could afford it. i was offered a huge amount based on my potential earnings. unfortunately the cookie didn't crumble that way.
    but yes you are right - you are in a more realistic situation.

it pretty much tallys up with the general consensus. thanks very much for that. i am in the same position. i got a bit down there for a while about the whole scenario. i just can't see a way out. i work long hours to just make ends meet.
    the problem i had - i was always going out and money was no option. i used to have a great time. but i have finally come to terms that i am lucky to go out once or twice a month. i used to be a social creature so its saturday night and i won't be going out this weekend. :(

there is no point in getting bitter. i am the only one suffering. so i intend to smile a lot and get through it the best i can. once i have come to terms with that i will be allright. took a long time coming though i tell you. :)
    yeah unfortuatly we are all in the same boat , I was only saying to a fellow PO I never had to think about money or the lack of it in my whole adulthood till last year, never scrimped , went on hols 3 times a year spent without thinking . It s a bit of a shock to the system having to think before spending but I suppose thats the way it goes and we can do nothing about it , all im sick of hearing from others people is how we should be grateful to have a job !!! that pisses me off big time as you and I know we earn every cent we work for !!!:mad::mad:

yeah unfortuatly we are all in the same boat , I was only saying to a fellow PO I never had to think about money or the lack of it in my whole adulthood till last year, never scrimped , went on hols 3 times a year spent without thinking . It s a bit of a shock to the system having to think before spending but I suppose thats the way it goes and we can do nothing about it , all im sick of hearing from others people is how we should be grateful to have a job !!! that pisses me off big time as you and I know we earn every cent we work for !!!:mad::mad:
    thats it - its just a huge culture shock! went to the states every year up till 2 years ago. i'm saving hard now for a weekend in the uk later on in the year :(
    lol thats a running joke i have. "you're lucky to have a job"! whenever i want to really piss my colleagues off i tell that -lol!

but yeah its vital to stay positive. if you don't you will not get through this. its the only way. go in, have a laugh and get through it ;)

• Advertisement

It's some realisation now that you have to cut your cloth to suit your measure where the wages are concerned...The days of "I'll do a few recalls and pay the car insurance " are gone... long gone... But it's the way it is and we're in a better position than some people so no time for griping.

480905 wrote: »
    It's some realisation now that you have to cut your cloth to suit your measure where the wages are concerned...The days of "I'll do a few recalls and pay the car insurance " are gone... long gone... But it's the way it is and we're in a better position than some people so no time for griping.
    yes you are right. this is the way it is - deal with it.

i do admire your positivity. i'm 3/4s of the way there :)
    but you must remember when i got my mortgage i believed i could afford it. i was offered a huge amount based on my potential earnings. unfortunately the cookie didn't crumble that way.
    but yes you are right - you are in a more realistic situation.

Well I can't lie, I'm not entirely positive about it. I don't see myself ever affording a mortgage.

HAVE SENT A FEW PM TO SOME OF YOU OUT THERE , HAVE YOU NOTICED IF SO PM ME BACK WITH YOUR OPINIONS THINK IT IS A HUGE ISSUE TO US ALL!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Replied.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not in all caps please. It's against the charter. Ta.
    HAVE SENT A FEW PM TO SOME OF YOU OUT THERE , HAVE YOU NOTICED IF SO PM ME BACK WITH YOUR OPINIONS THINK IT IS A HUGE ISSUE TO US ALL!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Very curious now indeed.

Very curious now indeed.

Very curious as to?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Hi guys. Any of you PO's hear anything about no more recruits being taken on. Got a txt off a PO friend of mine today saying that I'm in for a long wait. (I just missed out on the last class in Beladd thanks to the vetting process)

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Well, An board snip are currently in a lot of prisons and are looking to reduce staffing levels. As a result there will probably be less requirement for new recruits unfortunately. It remain to be seen what the extent of these cuts will be, but if the initial leaked cuts come to pass its not good news for the safety of those working on the landings or for the sanity of those waiting on the call to beladd.

Advertisement