Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I wonder if it will ever go the other way, that people from Cork or wherever stop applying, and then IPS is left without staff to fill the places left by retiring officers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

3 years ago it took over 12 years to get to Limerick, same for Portlaoise and 10 years for Castlerea. Things change and what will happen is all the dinosaurs in Cork will go at once and the service needed will drop dramatically. The closing of spike is the main reason that cork became so senior.

Could be worse, Shelton Abbey is 20yrs+

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

I wonder if it will ever go the other way, that people from Cork or wherever stop applying, and then IPS is left without staff to fill the places left by retiring officers.

If the wages recruits are being paid now don't stop people from joining up then nothing will. People will need jobs. They're going to apply ,no matter where they're from. And they'll wait their turn for transfer, just like everybody else will. No matter how fair or unfair they see it. It's the way it is. If there's one thing that pushes the Jailer over the edge apart from having money taken off , it's transfers being f"ucked with.
    Everybody new has their own reasons for wanting a transfer, and they will always say their reason is far more important but it's the way it is.

slim1919 wrote: »

Well then I'll just have to agree with you.

http://irishprisons.ie/documents/2008_RPO_Info_booklet_2409.pdf

There you go, No need to agree. Black and white on page 9 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Rawhead wrote: »
    3 years ago it took over 12 years to get to Limerick, same for Portlaoise and 10 years for Castlerea. Things change and what will happen is all the dinosaurs in Cork will go at once and the service needed will drop dramatically. The closing of spike is the main reason that cork became so senior.

Could be worse, Shelton Abbey is 20yrs+
    Hate to say but a lot of the DINOSAURS from cork are nearly gone bar about 15 !!!! It doesnt seem to have effected the lenght of timeof a transfer because they have NOT REPLACED a lot of the ones that have left in the past few months either due to the recruitment embargo:(:(. I dont forsee the transfer numbers to cork being majorally effected either in the near future as there a still a few of the old SPIKE staff in limerick looking to return to Cork so the trip to the south from Dublin is still a long way off for many !!! Sorry to all you cork people out there living in hope.To the lad in training did the country lads that your training with never think to check out things like thos before they joined the job??? It would have been the first thing I imagine I would have done back in the day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

If that happens then they will just send new recruits to Cork and there will be a waiting list for Dublin jails. Simple.

Current system is the fairest

Lets take your example of posting people closest to there homes. If we were to take all the officers in the prison service at the moment and put them in the jails where they want to work then there would be obvious shortfalls of staff in some jails and huge overstaffing in others. How would we then decide how to spread out the surplus staff.
    Would we count up the amount of break glasses the officer ran to in a year or would the union decide that it should be a rolling year.
    Could it be decided on the number of halfsheets that an officer has wrote. Perhaps the street value of drugs an officer has confiscated.
    Could we map an officers appearrance on parade against due on days divided by rest day availed of.

No. we would simply move the officers with the least service to the jails which are in most need. Which is exactly what IPS does now

Maybe for some but I know that this system wasn't made aware to my group until our second week, when we were knee deep in training.

The issue of transfers has been mentioned on this thread many times over the past few years as early as page 2 #27

Knee deep in training:rolleyes: In this job your big toe is dipped in after two weeks
    flaging my post for Text speak for using two y,s and one u is a bit harsh you can hardly call that post text speak

you wouldnt write like that on a p19 (breach of discipline report)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

you wouldnt write like that on a p19 (breach of discipline report)

no i wouldnt write like that in any job regardless of what job it was

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

i really don't know what you are all nattering about!
    transfers are not as hard as they were 5-6 years ago. it is considerably less time now to get home for those outside dublin. portlaoise and limerick you can get after a few years service these days. and there are ways and means around it ie compassionate transfer or go for AIS and get to cork. i have seen it done and i have seen the backbiting and the nasty and vicious begrudging towards these people. remember they were talking about suitability v seniority. what ever happened to that? a qualified chef or a qualified gym instructor on the outside dosen't get the post because of seniority. is this right? so if someone desperately wants to get home to their family they will get there much quicker these days if they use a bit of cop on and work the system.
    i would certainly not begrudge them.

i dont know about any body else but i thank posts when i think the post makes a good point i dont see any think wrong with that
    there is nothing wrong with that. that is not what i was getting at. i explained it already.

there is nothing wrong with that. that is not what i was getting at. i explained it already.
    me too I always thank them so cause even though they may vary in opinion to mine its always good to hear a diffrent opinion and sometimes they might even be a little bit right lol;););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

thereal wrote: »
    lads tbh transfers is the last thing to be worrying about since the boys and girls waiting for a class will prob be waiting another year and the lads waiting for interview will never be called so i reckon time to pursue different careers the mney's for starters is piss poor anyway under 400 saw a slip the other day the lad who showed me has since handed in notice absolutely shocking!!!

And the wages could possibly get worse before the year is out.. I heard that we could possibly be loosing anything up to €50 per docket..

lads tbh transfers is the last thing to be worrying about since the boys and girls waiting for a class will prob be waiting another year and the lads waiting for interview will never be called so i reckon time to pursue different careers the mney's for starters is piss poor anyway under 400 saw a slip the other day the lad who showed me has since handed in notice absolutely shocking!!!

Did you hear this from sum where or did you come up with it on ur own

nothing surprises me anymore. i would be probably better off at this stage being a prisoner getting my free food, tv and workshops etc etc. and getting paid in grat for the privilege.

the payslips are correct. it is a joke. (not sure if emergency tax is taken into account).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

my local representative told me that retirements wont be replaced and no more interviews will take place of this competition. I saw the payslip. So not making this up on my own.

Thats me f**ked so. If they are not doing any more interviews they are hardly going to start a class with the few lads who missed out because of the security clearance delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

my local representative told me that retirements wont be replaced and no more interviews will take place of this competition. I saw the payslip. So not making this up on my own.
    I wont disagree with you about the payslip,but your local represrntative is talking through his h*le,unless hes a member of the ips or working in the justice department how would he know that for certain.Theres lots of other parts of the civil service that if they lost staff they wouldnt even be noticed missing,but the prison service is not one of those areas,in the mccarthy report it said its the one area that couldnt have cutbacks and needed more investment.

i was just asking about the people not be called for a class till next year i know the money is ****

he does work in the justice department.
    I rang the hr dept of the prison service last week and they said that while things were quiet at the moment on the recruitment front that things could change overnight so im not giving up hope yet.Dont get me wrong,im not blaming the messenger im just not ready to put up the white flag on the whole thing.:)

Things are quiet at the moment alright....so quiet that they've moved the lad off the Recruitment desk and onto another area completely. Did people not read my post not so long ago??? The Dept of Finance has instructed No more recruitment until the new Government is set up and decides what they want to do. They are NOT replacing retirements. They are actively seeking to phase out Prison Officers and replace with Auxiliaries and cheaper alternatives. Do not be surprised if they offer the job but under completely new conditions. And before all the hopefuls come on saying " oh they can't do that"....THEY ARE DOING IT... We always said they couldn't touch our wages , that they were sacrosanct..Our wages have been decimated.......Plans are well advanced to replace certain promoted grades with civilian staff....They see the Prisons as a necessary evil and will do ANYTHING to cut costs. This is the reality. Think Long and hard if you're offered a position. I've said this all along

480905 wrote: »
    Things are quiet at the moment alright....so quiet that they've moved the lad off the Recruitment desk and onto another area completely. Did people not read my post not so long ago??? The Dept of Finance has instructed No more recruitment until the new Government is set up and decides what they want to do. They are NOT replacing retirements. They are actively seeking to phase out Prison Officers and replace with Auxiliaries and cheaper alternatives. Do not be surprised if they offer the job but under completely new conditions. And before all the hopefuls come on saying " oh they can't do that"....THEY ARE DOING IT... We always said they couldn't touch our wages , that they were sacrosanct..Our wages have been decimated.......Plans are well advanced to replace certain promoted grades with civilian staff....They see the Prisons as a necessary evil and will do ANYTHING to cut costs. This is the reality. Think Long and hard if you're offered a position. I've said this all along

This is the depressing reality. We are lucky in the IPS because we have a crystal ball and can look into the future, it's called HM Prison Service. They have absolutely decimated the service in the UK, moral is rock bottom, wages are worse than muck,the dregs of society are being hired and they are letting G4 security run new jails. We import every idea from across the water and this is what our service will be like if they have their way.
    They want quick turn around of staff, people who do the job for a few years and then move on, this means no expensive pensions. Management will be college grads hired straight in at Governor grade, liberal social worker types who will come up with great ideas like calling the lags Mr.
    The days of IPS being a 30 year career will be a thing of the past. The fact that private prisons don't work or that underpaid, badly resourced prisons cause greater problems doesn't matter anymore, we are in unprecedented times and the IMF have just told the government that they haven't made enough savings. Croke Park will not last and more cuts are on the way.

Now I'm off to a dark room with a bottle of brandy and a Smiths album to cheer myself up...........

The next thing you'll be telling us is that theres no such thing as santa and if thats the case i'm going onthe beer for the day:D:D:D

• Advertisement

i went on the beer for the day :D
    all is good and fluffy here.

i went on the beer for the day :D
    all is good and fluffy here.
    Thought you were abstaining these days lol ;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

im f**ked so, i was supposed to be called up in the interviews b4 xmas and they sent letter to wrong address!! they admitted it was there mistake as they had my new address!they said im top of the list for the next interviews!! now according to you lot thats never gonna happen!!! i must be luckiest man alive

haha cordud sounds like hes doing a bit of flirting
    haha def not ;);)

cordub wrote: »
    Thought you were abstaining these days lol ;);););)
    sometimes we all need to break out. ;)

lol whos flirting with who? its better than arguing anyway.

cordub the dirty yoke, he must be going mad with all the waiting ha
    waiting for what??I think Ive missed something here lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So the latest cost saving jail rumour I've heard is that they are looking at a way to do away with the rent allowance.
    Anybody else hear that?

Yes Dingdong, they will get the rent allowance AND they will most probably take the Sunday allowance too in the future. And they'll get them
    Too cos the Union will let them.

The union will be unable to do anything about whats coming down the line. If we walk out the gates they will send the mules and the sandbaggers in like before and they will leave us outside till we beg for our jobs back (don't be under any allusion that the mules won't come in and scab, they will baton us out the gates for OT).
    I think one of the following two things will happen,

1. We will achieve the 21 million cost cutting that is required but it will have all been in vain because there is no way Education or the HSE will ever get their houses in order and they will just end up cutting wages again (rent and unsocial hours etc.) We are only small fry but they will cut everyone again.
    2. The easiest solution to all the managements problems is flashing like a big neon sign "ROSTER CHANGE". In one swift move they will get 24 extra working days out of every officer, that is the equivalent to recruiting 300 extra officers for free. The AH system is collapsing because it was designed with a base amount of officers that was needed for it to work, the recruitment ban has caused that number to drop below the minimum and that is why the system is f$cked. They are never going to allow numbers to return to minimum levels so the AH system is gone unless they change the rosters.

I would guess option 2 is the one management will go for............

• Advertisement

Yes , I agree. They want the Roster. They also want Auxiliaries at 15 K a year. Following HMP they are.

Advertisement