Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Looks like things are moving again. Got a letter to Have an audiogram and medical done. I believe PCT is early next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

macroman29 wrote: »
    Looks like things are moving again. Got a letter to Have an audiogram and medical done. I believe PCT is early next month.

Where did you come in your interview, When did you get the letter, Does it give you a date when you have to get the audiogram and medical done

Just rang ips there a few mins ago garda clearance not back yet so I won't be getting letter any time soon,
    Although they did say that there was no class set and they were just trying to get people ready for when or if there is one,

slim1919 wrote: »
    Where did you come in ur interview, When did you get the letter, Does it give u a date when u have to get the audiogram and medical done

Got letter Yesterday. Gives you two weeks to have hearing test and medical done.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

Got letter Yesterday. Gives you two weeks to have hearing test and medical done.

do u already have interview done? its just im waitin to get called up for my interview! i was supposed to have it b4 xmas but they messed up my address

• Advertisement

lakes1985 wrote: »
    do u already have interview done? its just im waitin to get called up for my interview! i was supposed to have it b4 xmas but they messed up my address

Yea mate have interview done since last november. Anybody else get a letter. Rang around about audiogram. PM me if you want details.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

hopefully things are looking up for us all ,more staff means we can get time off when we want and less ah work , hurry up lads !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tubes46

hey macroman, when in november did you do your interview? i done it in november also and got my letter to say where i was placed but have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

How are ye all coping with the withdrawal of catering services in the evenings and at weekends? Pretty unpopular move! Its a long bloody day without a hot meal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

Salmon wrote: »
    How are ye all coping with the withdrawal of catering services in the evenings and at weekends? Pretty unpopular move! Its a long bloody day without a hot meal!

Ah yea its a bit of a pain but the union is trying to fight this,also in my prison the staff are filling in the gaps and supplying food when the catering company arent.(we pay for it of course,just incase anyone had the wrong idea.)

I havent been on this in a long time but one of my friends is waiting on word on a start date so I tought id have a look on here and see if anyone else had any word.

I read alot of ****e on this forum before i started and alot of people who were claiming to be officers putting people off were giving out about the job.

I personally love the job,they pay may not be great but it will go up over the years so thats a bonus.
    But the job may be hard at times,it can be like looking after children as alot of prisoners have never had a good upbringing.
    But i still love it and wouldnt swap it for a job that pays alot more!
    Oh most of the saff are great and everyone looks out for one another!
    thats all i have to say for now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Has that time come already!? Janey that flew in! Brown bag it is so!

Also, does this mean there will be another crowd heading down to Beladd?

tubes46 wrote: »
    hey macroman, when in november did you do your interview? i done it in november also and got my letter to say where i was placed but have heard nothing since.

Mid November

Mid November

Did someone tell you that

Did someone tell you that

Tell me what mate.

Tell me what mate.

were you saying that a class was starting mid november thats what i was takeing from your post and if it was that did you hear it from somewhere

were you saying that a class was starting
    Mid November

No slim all I'm saying is I got a letter on Thursday saying I have to go for a audiogram and medical in the next two weeks .

No slim all I'm saying is I got a letter on Thursday saying I have to go for a audiogram and medical in the next two weeks .

forget what i said sorry i read that completely wrong i looked at it again i read your post and another post and put the two of them together i thought you were answering something else sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

In fairness, the food in the mess in our place was never really top notch.. So its not missed THAT much.. The vending machines that are there a a joke though... Cup a Soups and no hot water!!!
    I will say however, fair play to the governor for getting something sorted for the staff in the short term..

LoanShark wrote: »
    In fairness, the food in the mess in our place was never really top notch.. So its not missed THAT much.. The vending machines that are there a a joke though... Cup a Soups and no hot water!!!
    I will say however, fair play to the governor for getting something sorted for the staff in the short term..
    totally agree with you there fair play to them , our campbells staff went ape when they heard the staff were going to be cooking in their kitchens and left nothing in the vending machines !!!!! they will be gone for good in sept so hopefully we will get a more permanent solution!!! Its unbelieveable that they would expect staff working a 12 hour to have no hot food available!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hi I'm 18 and I'm interested in joining the prison service when the recruitment ban is lifted.If I got in could I serve in my own city I'm from cork by the way.

• Advertisement

A.G.S wrote: »
    Hi I'm 18 and I'm interested in joining the prison service when the recruitment ban is lifted.If I got in could I serve in my own city I'm from cork by the way.
    Hi ya at the moment I could safely say you would be waiting about 10 years to get back to cork, You could lok for a transfer to the midlands or limerick but i think you could be a few years wating to get out of Dublin. hope this helps

cordub wrote: »
    Hi ya at the moment I could safely say you would be waiting about 10 years to get back to cork, You could lok for a transfer to the midlands or limerick but i think you could be a few years wating to get out of Dublin. hope this helps

I think you could safely say you could be waiting about 10 years just to get the job i am almost 3 years waiting

I think you could safely say you could be waiting about 10 years just to get the job i am almost 3 years waiting
    God I hope not things are getting thin on the grounds as it is and about another 100 to go before feb next year

cordub wrote: »
    God I hope not things are getting thin on the grounds as it is and about another 100 to go before feb next year

I was only saying 10 years if you were not yet on the panel in my opinion, I think they are takeing a class in the next few months, Your man macroman29 got letter to do audiogram and medical, Pct cant be long after that.
    I was talking to ips the other day and they were saying they are getting people ready for when there is a class set.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

sorry to burst the bubble lad but i've heard it from very good sources that there is no plans at all in taking anyone back to bellad for a good while yet, even some of the A.C.O.'s are going back to the prisons maybe that is just cause there is better money but still not a great sign either, as for campbells september cant come soon enough the food is pure muck the prisoners get better fed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Lozzy,

Are they gone altogether in September? Haven't heard this myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Lozzy,

Are they gone altogether in September? Haven't heard this myself!

Yeah contract up in september cant come soon enough the food at weekends now in our place is excellent with our own lads and ladies cooking its 100 times better than the muck we are getting monday to friday

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Hundreds of North prison jobs to go | BreakingNews.ie

This makes grim reading..... If it happens there , what's to say it won't happen here too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

It's been on the cards for some time now. It's a early retirement package aimed at the older officers. They have 3 types of officers up north.
    Pre 1995- Prison Officer= Expensive
    1995 to 2005- Auxiliary Officers= Cheaper
    2005 to Present- Operational Support Grades= Cheapest

They want rid of all the pre 95 full Officers cause they are costing them to much money. They will be offering them two and a half years wages lump sum to go plus pension. They also have NCO (night custody officers) who do only nights and just check the lags, no contact with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

lozzy23 wrote: »
    sorry to burst the bubble lad but i've heard it from very good sources that there is no plans at all in taking anyone back to bellad for a good while yet, even some of the A.C.O.'s are going back to the prisons maybe that is just cause there is better money but still not a great sign either.
    well in fairness if there are no classes in beladd or no plans to take any in (i don't know how true this is - thought there was) why are the beladd staff getting paid to sit around twiddling their thumbs?
    back on the floor with them i say and no handy numbers either :mad:

hi goys i'm back :P

Advertisement