Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Magazines

Options
  • 02-08-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone read one?

I get PSM3 regularly. I know for latest news you can usually preempt with the internet, but I do enjoy hard copies of stuff plus I find their reviews extremely fair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I used to buy the occasional Pc gamer magazine, back when i had a computer worth **** but not anymore. They're just too expensive and the demos you can get over live or psn anyway.

Actually i think i have a copy of pc gamer october 1998 upstairs somewhere. It has a walkthrough of half life in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have a subscription to PSM3. Fiver a month is okay. I can spend hours looking up thing on the net sometime. Nice to have it all sorted in half an hour by reading a mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

PC Zone and PC Gamer every month :)

I used to get PSM2 back in the playstation days, threw about 50 issues out recently :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Games TM and Edge (occasionally) are the only two worth reading to my mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Edge is the only one I read anymore. Hate format exclusive magazines and most of the others tend to be very immature and childish. Considering the net has all the news and reviews these days, Edge is the only one (although games tm is meant to be great too) which has interesting articles and intelligent discourse. May not always agree with their reviews, but they are always a damn fine read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Games TM and Edge (occasionally) are the only two worth reading to my mind.

The last two games magazine i bought were these two respectively (about 3 or 4 years ago). Glad to see that they're still, at least somewhat, worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are all a big waste of money, i'm paying for broadband i don't need to pay more for what i can get for free with internet.

that being said if i'm travelling i will buy a copy of edge just purely to pass some time.

I have found my preference(PSM3) to be fairly objective. (numerous admissions about bad ports or the superiority of xb live)

Great read IMO, always have features on older games which are a good read.

I haven't bought edge in so long.

Someone tell me next time a really good issue comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

noodler wrote: »
    Someone tell me next time a really good issue comes out.

ehh, this month. next month. the month after that.

i have to admit i've never read a bad issue of it, i just don't see the need to pay for it when i have internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I stopped getting magazines years ago. I used to get CVG, Play, the odd OPSM (UK+IE, PS+PS2), and a few others.

Always thought GamesTM were better than EDGE. EDGE, in my opinion, are up their own arses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I used to buy PC gamer before i had the internet, it meant i could get news about the latest PC games and software, I Could get mods, Patches, Maps, Game trailers, Wallpapers, Demos, Free software and tools which would keep me busy for weeks!

Then i was going into school with a bag full of USB hard drives and downloading everything i needed without having the internet. :o

Cremo wrote: »
    ehh, this month. next month. the month after that.

i have to admit i've never read a bad issue of it, i just don't see the need to pay for it when i have internet.

Ah nice to see things on paper, I lose perspective looking at crap on the net sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I get Edge every month. Sometimes I dont even read it.
    Arcade Magazine was great aswell.

My favourite mag was probably N64 Magazine. N64 era was my favourite , being a Nintendo fanboy with great games and seeing the shift of franchises from 2D to 3D. Those were good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

gamesTM on occasion and Edge near religiously. i wouldn't buy a magazine for news though. i've got eurogamer, kotaku and 1up on my bookmarks for that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is games for windows magazine available to buy in ireland?I cant seem to get anywhere :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Used to get Games TM every month but they stopped stocking it in the local shop so don't get it anymore. It's not perfect but they were the best multiformat magazine with a great retro section. I'd get EDGE the odd time but usually regret it, they are far too pretentious and most of the articles end up boring me.

One magazine I'd always pick up whenever I get a chance is retrogamer magazine, always a great read and there's a sense of fun that is missing from magazines these days.

I've heard NGamer is a brilliant read but is unfortunately not multiformat.

Again I really preferred the magazines of old to the ones that are around today. Todays magazines are either childish affairs that spend way too much time hyping up licensed crap and wrestling games or are pretentious and often aboring like Games TM and EDGE. Was up in the attic recently and found a load of my old Arcade, Sega Power, Commodore Format and Gamesmaster magazines. They are still a brilliant read. They are very informative yet there is a good sense of fun to them with constant running jokes and banter between the writers. PC Gamer was also exceptionally good in it's heyday.

Commodore Format and Arcade in particular are fabulous publications. If there was a mag like that I'd subscribe since the sense of fun is something you don't get in online sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Games TM, especially for the Retro section. Unfortunately I've noticed the Retro section has gotten slightly smaller :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Anyone remeber an old Irish magazine, called C4 I think?

I thought it was a great multiplatform, but hten again this was around the time of n64/PSX/dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I mostly read Kotaku.com for gaming news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Varkov wrote: »
    Anyone remeber an old Irish magazine, called C4 I think?

I thought it was a great multiplatform, but hten again this was around the time of n64/PSX/dreamcast.
    It was called G4 (Games for Ireland methinks). I liked that one too. It was out every two months though, and it didn't last long unfortunately. I have a few copies lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Used to get Games TM every month but they stopped stocking it in the local shop so don't get it anymore. It's not perfect but they were the best multiformat magazine with a great retro section. I'd get EDGE the odd time but usually regret it, they are far too pretentious and most of the articles end up boring me.

I've heard NGamer is a brilliant read but is unfortunately not multiformat.

I get Games TM and NGamer every month. Games TM is a good multi-format magazine but I don't always agree with their reviews and do find it ever so slightly pretensious sometimes (but not near as bad as Edge, which I hate for that)

NGamer is brilliant, there's a real sense of fun in it that I haven't found anywhere else and even though it's Nintendo exclusive they're never afraid to point when Nintendo screw up. It's also the only magazine that can make me laugh out loud every second page thanks to the consistently witty writing. It's expensive, as most magazines are, but totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Seeker wrote: »
    I get Edge every month. Sometimes I dont even read it.
    Arcade Magazine was great aswell.

My favourite mag was probably N64 Magazine. N64 era was my favourite , being a Nintendo fanboy with great games and seeing the shift of franchises from 2D to 3D. Those were good times.

I used to get that was always a good laugh with pretty decent reviews, they changed editors Tim Weaver I think was his name left to go to a different mag and was replaced by the girl on the team. The next month they had a walkthrough for Tarzan the game,w hich they gave an overall result of something like 24%. I stopped buying it after that.

Just brought back that memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The internet took away my need for gaming magzines... I did buy tons of them years and years ago.

I'd say I have around 500 of them up in the attic haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I used to love CVG (Computer & Video Games) pre-1999, then it turned rubbish when bought by some new company. The reviews were spot on and the humour used was really off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gamesTM is streets ahead of anything else.

3526_gtaiv_gamestm_preview_gameplay.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i used to buy retro gamer every month but it seems to have disappeared.

nowadays i rarely buy any magazines..

I miss Amstrad Action...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Digitiser :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Jazzy wrote: »
    Digitiser :pac:

Digi has been dead for years man, let it go.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Tusky wrote: »
    gamesTM is streets ahead of anything else.

3526_gtaiv_gamestm_preview_gameplay.jpg

Does anyone else find this image a bit freaky?

Advertisement