Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Magazines

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

monument wrote: »
    No. Why?

becuase it looks to me like she has six fingers on the lolipop hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i usually buy PC Gamer or PC Zone
    mostly for when i'm taking a dump as the laptop is too cold on my knees ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Anyone remember Playstation Power? I used to love it, tried to aim itself at the 20-30 year old market, played off the whole "Playstation makes games cool" image, twas a great magazine, until it eventually changed it's name to Power and became ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

I get PSM3. I think it is a good magazine with good articles and a good sense of humour. I miss the CVG magazine. That was a brilliant magazine. Still have a good few of those magazines up in the attic! Its ridiculous that it got discontinued for gamesmaster. That magazine is the biggest crock of sh*te going!!! Every month its either a soccer game or a wrestling game on the cover i swear!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Here here to the PSM3 subscribers! They are rather even handed for a single format publication

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

Yeah that's why I like it so much plus it reminds me of the old CVG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Have Loads of these magazines(PCGAMER, PCFORMAT among others) lying around from the good old days(1997 - 2007ish):)
    Don't buy them much anymore with the advent of Eurogamer etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'll either get Edge or GamesTM. I always love to pick up retrogamer. It's the only one full of stuff that you won't find on current news/ reviews websites:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

just picked up a copy of NGamer along with Retrogamer and Games TM. Have to say I'm quite impressed. It has that fun element that the mags of old used to have and is what I miss about them and it's something you just don't get from gaming websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

360 gamer and same thimes games th

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I used to read GamesTM and Edge, but I don't read any games magazines now. Can't be bothered spending good money when there's plenty of easily accessible games news online, plus I'm not even gaming anything like as much as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Yeah Crash and ZZap 64 are my favourites.

Sorry, that was a hundred years ago.

I think the official Playstation and Xbox magazines are probably the most informative. The independent ones give me a pain in the arse.

If you're looking for a good review of any game past or present, you can't go wrong with ign.com

PSM3 FTW! etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Games TM and Edge from time to time are my purchases. I steer well clear of the OPS3M as the demo disc is absolutely useless and the articles are biased and poorly written. If I wanted to read fanboi sh!te, I'd log onto the PS3 forums!

I tend to buy Games TM regularly for the articles but as stated already, kotaku and 1up tend to be the better sources of news.

Phew I thought you meeant PSM3 there! Honestly I have never tried the official ones because in my head I can't see how they can be anything but biased. Is the official 360 equivalent as bad?

Also official ones tend to be dearer.

True about the price but I tend to find the discs are rubbish on every magazine you buy so they just end up gathering dust. At least they don't put them in those DVD cases anymore!

I have to say I don't find the official magazines biased at all. Don't forget, they're both published by the same company, it's not like Sony are publishing one and Microsoft the other.

They'll often make reference to a game on the "other" console, and not in a derogatory manner either.

I hate the juvenile slagging off the other console rubbish that goes on with a lot of the independent mags that are aligned to one particular system.

The only decent one that covers both is Edge.

That's just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Used to buy PC Gamer and PC Zone every month. Couldn't decide which one was better (or worse).

Realised it mostly depended on the quality of the demo disk, unfortunately both had more or less the same content :rolleyes:

Stopped last year.

Can you honestly say you have read alot of independents or are you just stereotyping? I have only read a handful (of different ones) in the last year.

PSM3 does do the whole "doesn't turn out to be the Halo beater it was sposed to be" or "not as good as live alot". Also have never mentioned RROD to my memory.

• Advertisement

I used to buy a wide range of magazines including the indo ones. (My job requires me to travel to France a lot so I usually end up buying 2-3 at a time in the airport) and I just found the content in them to be poor.

I think the official ones are just more factual and less opinionated.

Maybe I'm just the gob****e who can't see bias but I don't think so.

Ha, I wouldn't say that! For one thing I hate 'out of ten' reviews.
    I also feel Official magazines give higher scores in games. Also, my fave indpendent mag, tells/told you how to do certain 'stuff' with your PSP, or makes speculations about Sony which I find it hard to believe (altho I haven't bough OPSM in ages) OPSM would make.

Wow, 3 at a time? There must be some serious repetition there!

Fair point.

Maybe I'll revisit the scene of the crime and give the indos another chance. It's the fanboy crap that gets under my skin.

Repetition is the reason why I stopped buying so many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

use to but gamesmaster until about a year ago becuase it started to get ****e, i buy the new cvg now because it covers the history of certain games, its already done mgs and gta

Advertisement