Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 Cable and Patch Panels

Options
  • 02-08-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Anyone know of anywhere handy I can source this around Dublin ?

B.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any electrical wholesalers. Eastern Electric etc...

Radionics.ie also stock them, they're expensive though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Maplin and Peats on Jervis and Parnell St. respectively. Although the last time I sent someone to get some CAT6 cable from Peats, it turned out they didn't have any. They gave them CAT5 and told them it was exactly the same :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cat5e supports up to 1Gbps ethernet of the current type. Almost all "CAT5" is actually CAT5e now.

I thought it was only an early version of 1Gbps that needed CAT6?

100Mbps ethernet never needed CAT6

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

watty wrote: »
    Cat5e supports up to 1Gbps ethernet of the current type. Almost all "CAT5" is actually CAT5e now.

I thought it was only an early version of 1Gbps that needed CAT6?

100Mbps ethernet never needed CAT6

Yeh it will work fine for Gigabit Ethernet alright. It required a lot of effort to install the cable so I wanted to have the most future proof version I could...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I think with CAT6 you have to have minimum bend radii, careful separation from mains etc. and I found the termination gear was much more expensive (my CAT5e 24 port patch panels were €15 each and the cheapest CAT6 I could find was €60ish). The patch cords, switches are much more expensive.

You can run 1Gbps over CAT5e as long as you use all 4 pairs and take care punching down.

Good luck with whatever you do, you may find the extra expense of CAT6 isn't worth it TBH.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kellihers sell them, they should be cheaper then Maplins and they offer a decent to semi decent brand too.
    what make is the cat6 cabling you have? if you want to be really fussy you could match the patches with the cable.

I know it can sound like a load of BS, but we have had issues with the wrong cat 6 leads in different patch panels, i know the connections are a standard, but there are tiny differences.

Nexans stuff available from Kellihers is decent stuff IMO.

Advertisement