Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a riff/lick you wrote and comment on the one above.

• 02-08-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok so I saw this on another site and it made a pretty good thread, figured I'd give it a shot here. Basically post up a little riff (or a big long 9 minute 21 instrument masterpiece, it's up to you) that you wrote and then we give comments on each others. Not just like "crap" or "good" but you know, preferably helpful critisism if you have any. I'm starting the thread so I guess I'll have to go first (hopefully other people will post the good stuff) but I really don't have the first clue what I'm doing so any advice will be very welcome.

e|
    |
    B|
    |
    G|-14-14BR--12-14~~----14-14BR--12
    14-14BR--12
    9-12
    |
    D|
    14~~
    14/12-12~---9
    12-14~
    |
    A|
    |
    E|
    |

Also if anyone wants to post thiers up in notation or in Guitar Pro/Power/Tux guitar tabs that would be great cause then we could actually listen to them and hear the timing and all that. Not just guitar, if anyone wails on the accordian or French horn or anything post that up too. Not sure if this will take off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I see what your trying to get at but TBH a small low quality mp3 would be much much better. Its very hard to get any sort of feel or idea of how its suppose to sound. Will be interesting to see how it goes for you, good luck. Will keep watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Tab doesn't convey feeling, so we don't really know how you play it or intended for it to sound. Post a clip of it. :)

I'll see if I can find any of my clips and post one. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

jus a G major noodle at the end of one of my songs i do sometimes, kinda cool string skipping thing, g major at whatever tempo u want

E-3
    |
    A
    |
    D---5
    7-5
    |
    G
    9-7
    |
    B
    12-10
    15--12
    |
    E
    10/12
    12/14
    15~-|

i havnt written tabs in ages!

heres the audio - http://media.putfile.com/Simple-Gmajor-lick

u can keep goin up the notes in the scale, but its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah, totally get what your saying sei and Dord, I tried to do it out there in Tux guitar as best I could, how would I go about posting it though? I'm presuming I can't just link to the file on my computer and you will be able to access it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

slipss wrote: »
    Yeah, totally get what your saying sei and Dord, I tried to do it out there in Tux guitar as best I could, how would I go about posting it though? I'm presuming I can't just link to the file on my computer and you will be able to access it?

You can upload them on http://www.soundclick.com :)

• Advertisement

putfile.com is another

theres tons of upload sites, but pick one that streams music instead of downloading the mp3's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Sounds interesting. I'm up for it as soon as i get out of work :(

Ok I did it out as close as I could get it on tux guitar, couldn,t really get the timing the same as I play the end bit (might try to figure out how to hook my guitar up to the computer later and record it that way)

e|
    |
    B|
    |
    14-14BR--12
    9-12
    |
    D|
    14~~
    14/12-12~---9
    12-14~
    |
    A|
    |
    E|
    |

e|--12*
    |
    B|
    15-12-15-12----12
    |
    G|
    14----14-12-14-12----12
    |
    D|
    14----14-12-14-12
    |
    A|
    14-12/14~----|
    E|
    |

e|
    |
    B|
    |
    G|
    |
    D|
    |
    A|-14-14-14/12--12/9--9/7--9-7
    |
    E|
    9-7-9~-7~-9~
    |

http://media.putfile.com/Jazzfrog

So anyone got any ideas? To me it sounds a bit kind of cut and shut, the way the slow bit at the start ends and then it goes into the faster bit with nothing joining them up, but I can't figure out anything to piece them together. Any notes sound out of tune? Any idea where I could contiue it on? Basically any suggestions to make it sound any better are wlecome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Wow! This is state-of-the-art recording technology.

niallk wrote: »
    Wow! This is state-of-the-art recording technology.

First of all, it is an extracted and transfered midi file, no recording, state of the art or otherwise involved. Secondly, if you have nothing interesting to say and all you want to do is come out with a witty comment, then first you have to think of a witty comment to come out with. Disastrous and embarrasing fail all round on your part my attrociously unimaginatively monikered friend. Better luck next time.

• Advertisement

lol i couldnt tell if he was joking or not

Midi rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Who says syncopation isn't melodic?
    Guitar 1: (94BPM) All 8th notes: (Repeated)

e |----7-------7---|----7-------7---|----8-------8---|----5-------5---|
    B |--7---7---7---7-|--7---7---7---7-|--8---8---8---8-|--5---5---5---5-|
    F#|5-------5-------|5-------5-------|6-------6-------|3-------3-------|
    D |----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
    A |----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
    E |----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|

Guitar 2: (94BPM) All 8th notes:

e |------0---------|--0-----------2-|----------3-----|------0---------|
    B |----0---0-------|0---0-------0---|0-------0---0---|----0---0-------|
    F#|--1-------1---1-|------1---1-----|--1---1-------1-|--1-------1---1-|
    D |2-----------2---|--------2-------|----2-----------|2-----------2---|

e |------2---------|--3-----------5-|----------3-----|------2---------|
    B |----0---0-------|0---0-------0---|0-------0---0---|----0---0-------|
    F#|--1-------1---1-|------1---1-----|--1---1-------1-|--1-------1---1-|
    D |2-----------2---|--------2-------|----2-----------|2-----------2---|

The two riffs sound different apart, but when you loop the first one under the second, they form a totally different sound.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17041926846b1bef/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Here's a riff I based off a song someone had posted on the Flipside forum. I actually play the guitar part in a different place on the neck as I find the first chord awkward to hold but I just never updated the tab. I have attached the Guitar Pro file if anyone is interested. There's not that much extra in it, just a few more bars of distorted guitar, lead guitar, bass and drums.

Clean Guitar
    E||
    |
    B||
    |
    G||
    2----|
    D||
    |
    A||--5
    5-|
    E||
    |
    B||
    |

|
    |
    0----|
    |
    4-|
    |
    |

|
    |
    2--3--2--0----|
    3-|
    |
    |
    |

|
    |
    0----|
    |
    4-|
    |
    |

Bass
    G||
    |
    D||
    |
    A||
    0--5--|
    E||
    1--1
    |
    B||--3--3
    |

|
    |
    |
    4--4--|
    --2--2
    2----5--5--2--5
    |

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

malice_ wrote: »
    *Original Post*

Very cool, I like the syncopation.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Very cool, I like the syncopation.
    Thanks! I've attached an MP3 of that part of the song to this post if you're interested.
    e|
    |
    B|
    |
    14-14BR--12
    9-12
    |
    D|
    14~~
    14/12-12~---9
    12-14~
    |
    A|
    |
    E|
    |
    I had a few minutes to kill this evening so I thought I would put the above tab into Guitar Pro just to see what it sounds like. Have a listen and tell me if I was even close to what you play :).

Here's a riff I based off a song someone had posted on the Flipside forum. I actually play the guitar part in a different place on the neck as I find the first chord awkward to hold but I just never updated the tab. I have attached the Guitar Pro file if anyone is interested. There's not that much extra in it, just a few more bars of distorted guitar, lead guitar, bass and drums.

Clean Guitar

Bass

Ha, thats deadly man, talk about creepy and tense, not sure if thats what you were going for, but yeah I likes it.

I had a few minutes to kill this evening so I thought I would put the above tab into Guitar Pro just to see what it sounds like. Have a listen and tell me if I was even close to what you play :).

yeah thats actually pretty close man, http://media.putfile.com/Jazzfrog Thats my attempt at it on GP but I can't get the timing the same as I play it

Ha, thats deadly man, talk about creepy and tense, not sure if thats what you were going for, but yeah I likes it.
    It did turn out creepy-sounding didn't it :). I have another part added to it but I don't think it fits with it so I've left it alone until inspiration strikes again.
    yeah thats actually pretty close man, http://media.putfile.com/Jazzfrog Thats my attempt at it on GP but I can't get the timing the same as I play it
    Yeah, it can be difficult to transcribe things into Guitar Pro so that they sound the same as what's in your head or what you are playing. It gets easier with practice though (like a lot of things ;) ).

This might be off-topic but I think it's a useful tip if you don't know it. Those files hosted on Putfile.com can be downloaded if you right-click the part of the Window that looks like Windows Media Player and select Properties. Copy and paste the location value into a new browser window and you should get a Save As dialog box to allow you to save the file to your computer.

This can be useful if you are going to be working on a computer without an Internet connection for example.

you can prob do it by looking at the page source too and finding the mp3 link, but thats neither here or there

takes me ages to write powertab or guitar pro so i jus recorded it, easier n faster

• Advertisement

-=al=- wrote: »
    you can prob do it by looking at the page source too and finding the mp3 link, but thats neither here or there

takes me ages to write powertab or guitar pro so i jus recorded it, easier n faster
    It took me a while to get used to Guitar Pro as well but you get the hang of it after a while. I found learning the keyboard shortcuts helped a lot. There's a big list of them in the manual.

Here's a riff that's part of a (slightly) longer song that I've attached to this post if anyone's interested. I tried to paste in the plain text version but some of the chords wouldn't line up so I went with an image from the PDF exported by Guitar Pro instead.

riff_20th.png

Advertisement