Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Lizard for a starter

Options
  • 02-08-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi every one, I am looking for some advise. I am thinking about getting a lizard in a few months, but I am a total starter and don't have clue what to get or look for in a good lizard. I have 3 small kids so have to take that in to account. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Bearded dragons are the best in my opinion - they are friendly & seems to enjoy human interaction - do some research before you decide anything tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Leopard Gecko: Easy to house, easy to feed, no need for expensive UV lighting, and no need for a large enclosure. Can be kept on newspaper substrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

Thanks for that lads. I will have to do my homework on this.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Bearded dragon or a leopard gecko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

yeah demonique, agreed. leopard geckos come in loads of different 'morphs' or colours, and they are really easy and cheap to keep.

• Advertisement

How big do leopard geckos get? I know bearded dragons can get a fair size.

around 10-12 inches. quite small!

8 inches would be average size for an adult leopard gecko. They are easy to sex as adults too but just make sure if you do buy more than one that you don't mix two males as they are fiercely territorial.
    I'd Say the Bearded Dragon is just as good a starter lizard, but if cost is a consideration then I'd go for the leopard gecko, as they are easier to look after and they are nocturnal so no expensive uv lighting is needed, and secondly they are terrestrial so the enclosure doesn't have to be tall or too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Leopard geckos live longer than beardies

sorry, my 8yr old male leopard gecko must be huge then, as he is 12 inches!

they are defo cheaper option, and I think cuter. they also smell less!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

There's loads of good info on the net about lizards. If you're in Dublin head into Reptile haven in fishamble street and Ben or Graham will help you out. It could also be worth your while investigating vegetarian options as keeping live crickets/locusts in the house may be a concern for you?

www.kingsnake.com is an excellant resource for all things reptile. Have a look for caresheets. I would also suggest http://www.reptile-community.com/smf/ as a very good Irish reptile community.

What are the veggie options? I don't mind the crickets but the wife might.eek.gif

vegetarians include desert iguanas and uromastyx for small size lizards, they are available to buy in Reptile Haven at the mo, to my best knowledge. Ben is really a great help , and I'd recommend anyone considering a reptile of any kind to go see him for some information and good advice before taking the plunge!!

Caroline B wrote: »
    sorry, my 8yr old male leopard gecko must be huge then, as he is 12 inches!

they are defo cheaper option, and I think cuter. they also smell less!

He probably is :)
    I did say that 8 inches is about average :)

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into it more to make my mind up.
    thanks.smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Get a nile Monitor...Just kidding! Bearded dragons the best for a beginner IMHO.

Advertisement