Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP's Enforce their Download Cap?

Options
  • 02-08-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey Guys.

Ive just switch from a local wireless provider in Donegal which was really good, and never enforced any limits or throttling on me.

But now im switching to Digiweb because of the 7.6Meg Speed upgrades (Just waiting for my Modem to arrive and the upgrade on Aug 9th)

What I want to know is, do Digiweb strictly enforce their download Cap?

What other companys do or don't enforce their cap, and the amounts over the cap you can go with them. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Digiweb use a rolling 30 day cap which is a bit of a pain and yes they throttle you if you go over the limit.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

By Rolling cap, you mean like actively enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

NO, they calculate the usage over the last 30 days so it is a bit harder to keep track of, dunno if they have an online checker!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

By Rolling cap, you mean like actively enforced?

By rolling cap he means they calculate your usage over the last 30 days and not a reset at the end of every month. If you used up your full cap in one day today (exaggerating to display the point) and they throttled you it would be a full 30 days before that day leaves the counted 30 days and you are unthrottled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

BT also use the rolling 30 day system and make it difficult for people by only using the current month for the online usage meter. But at least they allow you to go to 100gbs before they throttle you and don't impose the 30gb cap. I don't think Eircom throttles or charges for overuse but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,897 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You really do have to watch out if you're on a rolling 30 day cap. As you can see, I have to wait another 17 days to get that 7.67gb spike back. On the plus side though, I do find digiweb don't throttle my 20gb connection until I go over 25gb.

digiweb.jpg

Really do have to upgrade my package to something else though. Getting a tad ridiculous at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

So basically means im screwed since im a heavy downloader, does anyone know if you can buy an addon for your cap with DSL like you can with metro?

Doesn't anyone think that a 40GB cap is a tad small for a 7.6Mb connection which can do about 950kbps under ideal conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

UTV have a cap limit and charge an absolute fortune( 10euro per gig, im gonna have to pay 30euro extra this month for exceeding my cap by 3gigs even though i exceed it because i only have an 8kilobyte upload/regular disconnects causing me to redownload )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lmimmfn wrote: »
    UTV have a cap limit and charge an absolute fortune( 10euro per gig, im gonna have to pay 30euro extra this month for exceeding my cap by 3gigs even though i exceed it because i only have an 8kilobyte upload/regular disconnects causing me to redownload )

Sorry but I've no pity for you if you getting charged for going over any cap,
    UTV offer three options when it comes to their caps
    - Charge for going over the cap
    - Stop service when you reach the cap
    - Pay 5e a month for a "unlimited" option

If you have a disconnection issue then I'd suggest you read the charter/FAQ and failing that get onto UTV support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Are eircom enforcing caps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

My brother in law has Digiweb dsl. I went to use his pc on Saturday but the internet was just so SLooowwww..... Speedtest sites wouldnt load. I started to download the free version of AVG, it was downloading at 5 KB/sec!
    I was trying to load up some osi maps online, but just had to walk away from it. Dial-up would of been faster. I asked him was there something wrong with his pc. No he said, thats a regular occurance due to the download cap. Needless to say, he is switching to Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Needless to say, he is switching to Eircom!
    Tell him to look into UTV since they have an option with unlimited downloads. Supposed to be decent enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If he's in a Smart exchange area, they have no cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Cabaal wrote: »

It's been €5.99 since the last speed upgrade. And it's free for the first 3 months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Onikage wrote: »
    It's been €5.99 since the last speed upgrade. And it's free for the first 3 months.

pfft, I was close enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Guess I'll let you away with it this time :)

Not as good as Imagine's 60GB for €0.99, but certainly beats paying €30 for 3GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sorry but I've no pity for you if you getting charged for going over any cap,
    UTV offer three options when it comes to their caps
    - Charge for going over the cap
    - Stop service when you reach the cap

If you have a disconnection issue then I'd suggest you read the charter/FAQ and failing that get onto UTV support
    ??????????????????????? I wasnt looking for pity, the thread is about which ISPs charge so i merely stated that utv do and gave an example.
    As for my crap broadband( read charter, logged about 30 calls with UTV, Eircom said to stop logging calls about the line as its rate adaptive and not a guaranteed service ), we moved house because of it,much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Are Eircom now inforcing there download caps ? i have gone 15GB over my 30GB limit. im only getting 1mb download speeds on my 3mb broadband package. when i access the router it shows the speed as 3072/384 (kbps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

Griffin87 wrote: »
    Are Eircom now inforcing there download caps ? i have gone 15GB over my 30GB limit. im only getting 1mb download speeds on my 3mb broadband package. when i access the router it shows the speed as 3072/384 (kbps).

they're not enforcing anything, they're service is just crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

U.TV have been crap for me for a while but they seem to be improving touch wood. They are strict enforcing caps but as pointed out offer 5.99 option for unlimited. Don't know what their unlimited is... Downloading all I can this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

lmimmfn wrote: »
    ??????????????????????? I wasnt looking for pity, the thread is about which ISPs charge so i merely stated that utv do and gave an example.
    As for my crap broadband( read charter, logged about 30 calls with UTV, Eircom said to stop logging calls about the line as its rate adaptive and not a guaranteed service ), we moved house because of it,much easier

I think he was just pointing out that UTV is quite reasonable in their approach...

They offer an accurate download checking option and let you decide if you aren't willing to pay extra per megabyte.

They have the same difficulties as all the Eircom resellers but I think they do a good enough job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Xcellor wrote: »
    U.TV have been crap for me for a while but they seem to be improving touch wood. They are strict enforcing caps but as pointed out offer 5.99 option for unlimited. Don't know what their unlimited is... Downloading all I can this month :)

Are utv available in blackrock/ when i do that line checker on their website it says my result is inconclusive...

Also what is the 'Unlimited download limit' for utv exaclty? less the 100GB or nearer to under 250GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

do vodafone inforce their cap? If so whats the charge if you go over or can you go over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Vodafone have a very large cap on the unlimited package. Trust me, you will not go over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Are utv available in blackrock/ when i do that line checker on their website it says my result is inconclusive...

Also what is the 'Unlimited download limit' for utv exaclty? less the 100GB or nearer to under 250GB?

yes UTV is available in Blackrock as they are just an Eircom reseller, I have been with UTV for over a year with the unlimited option and I regularly hit 200+gigs a month with no problems but then again I use the scheduler built in to uTorrent to only use bandwidth at night time so I don’t hog the line during peak hours
    Vodafone have a very large cap on the unlimited package. Trust me, you will not go over it.

where is the unlimited option I cant see it on there website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

They dont seem to have an unlimited option just 60gb on the 7mb package which they say cant get (Even though my next door neighbour has 7mb eircom)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think we need another thread on how crap eircom are lately, let alone compounding the confusion with a year old thread about other ISPs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement