Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lurcher

Options
  • 02-08-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Anyone help i have taken in a rescued lurcher he has ben badly beaten a year old i have vaccinated him wormed him etc.He is a quiet gentle traumatised dog .he is a bedlington x whippet.001-22.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Your looking to re-home him now?.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or are you looking to getting him untraumatised?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I am working on him .he is going for walks which he loves and he is clean in the house .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sorry if I sound like I'm 'nit-picking', but you asked for help?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's one seriously shaggy dog. :)

• Advertisement

I may keep him but my german shepherds are jealous of him.And are not amused and i have 5 german shepherds already .Ideally a quiet home would suit he is a good house dog.

Mairt wrote: »
    Sorry if I sound like I'm 'nit-picking', but you asked for help?.
    Sorry i shouldnt have asked for help i just wanted really to tell his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

he's beautiful and you are great for rescuing the poor thing.
    maybe try intoducing him to the others on neutral ground? maybe try taking them for a walk together or something to try and integrate him into the gang? It'd be great if you could keep him, it's supposed to be hard to find homes for lurchers and greys in this country. make sure you always have an eye on him as well as (to be un-PC!) the travellers are always out to steal lurchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My sister had one of these, very affectionate dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He's adorable well done for taking him in, poor fella. His face reminds me of an Irish terrier but his legs are lurchery lol.

Fingers crossed the poor fella gets a permanent loving home in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Give it time and he'll be fine, try what I did for my grey hound, go to him when he cries out and has nightmares let him know everything is ok, just sit with him and hug and pet him don't forget to leave a light on at night. Mine came from the travelers and suffered sever nightmares, always call their name from a distance until they wake then go to them (just encase he gets a fright and bits) You need to work out what it is that frightens him most, mine wouldn't go outside when it was dark and I had to stay with him, even worse he hated the rain and the dark, I got soaked trying to convince him to leave the car and go into the house, it tuck about 20 mins even though he could see the front door was open, if he thought he was left alone to long he'd call out almost sounded like a sad song so I called him Pavarotti. It tuck time, lots of time but it was worth it to see how happy he is now. You say you have five dogs I'd get him use to walking with the alfa dog and you first if the top dog excepts him he will have an easier time being excepted by the rest. Again mine was beaten and stabbed he didn't like the sweeping brush and I had to move him out of the rooms I would be sweeping but I started to give him a choice and left a door open for him to come and go and left the brush down on the floor or against the wall for him to small and realize I wasn't going to hurt him. Nothing seems to bother him now he go's out the back in the dark and rain and ignores the sweeping brush it just takes time.

He gorgeous, if you rescued him in the first place then your heart is all ready in the right place to bring him round and he'll sense that and come round. Lots & lots & lots of love dogs are great at repsonding to to love alone.

Fair play to you for taking him in.

Hi all ive been taking him out with the other dogs he is great around dogs loves going for walks just doesnt relate to people at all .My dogs arent keen as gsds are notoriosly jealous dogs .We have been walking as a pack for over a week now .I will try and find him a caring home.As i have had a lot of problems with travellers and i dont want then coming up here .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

He'll come around to people quickly enough.

One of my lurchers was just dead to people when we took him in. He had no concept of human attention of affection. they learn it pretty quickly though.

Had a walk with him and he is slowly coming round why are people so cruel to lurchers

Have you any idea of his back round at all, if he's come from the travelers I can help you to get him to come round, if not then I'm sure I can help and I'm sure anybody on boards with experience of abused dogs will also help.

Right now he is seeing the hand of kindness, food, warm bed and affection he'll already be trying to hold on to that, involve him in everything your doing, like a child he needs to be thought how to do things and what is safe and what isn't, a dogs like a child who has to be educated, don't be afraid to let him follow you around and show him what your doing, let him sniff the shopping bags and have something at the ready to give him from it. Talk to him as you go about your business like you want him to be involved, pet him from time to time as you go, I know it sounds like a lot of work but you get use to it as you go, and with out warning one day it will just click with you that he's striking out on his and is content in his surroundings. Don't forget just because he's had a hard time doesn't mean you shouldn't set boundaries the last thing you want is a spoiled brat on your hands, if you don't want him doing something no means no, boundaries help him learn were he stands and that he doesn't get beaten for it even if he's done wrong just a telling of he will be happier with that than six weeks down the road hearing it day and night because he's spoiled.

The best thing is to try to work out his back round and mean while just give him the love he deserves. We might be able to fill you in on what he's been through then and help more.

Thanks Black Cat for your advice.I have dealt with dogs like this before it just takes time .I rescued a whippet about fifteen years ago and a belgian shepherd before that .What i tend to do with a dog like that is as you say involve him in everything .So i tie him to my waist and do my housework and farm work it is helping him.He came into the sitting room today on his own and lay by me .I just hate the way people abuse lurchers .I chat away to him and bit by bit he is coming it will take time.He was chained up and beaten so he is kind of people dead/the walks out are his joy .he will come round ive dealt with worst it just great to have the moral support from you all and i thank you so much for that .

Glad to hear he's starting to come to you it is a sign of trust, the monsters who do these things are not worth wasting your breath on, these types are no more than scum, focus your energy on looking after him and by the sounds of it you have a lot on your hands best to for get them. These are people who don't know how to love and in the end usually die alone, it's not good enough in my book but it's something at least. If you know who it was and have evidents then hang him to the police/warden even if he gets a slap on the hand he'll know people are will to hang him again or it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LizzyT

Do you still need a home for beautiful lurcher?
    We rescued a badly treated whippet last year and
    we are looking for a little friend for him.
    We live on the West of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi Lizzy, if you're looking for a greyhound or lurcher type dog, and dont have any luck here

have a look http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/
    MJ will really look after you, and knows her dogs inside out, so can help you choose the best one for your family. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Second the recommendation for MJ, she's absolutely amazing and you'll be well looked after.

If she doesn't have anything that suits then PAWS always have alot of lovely lurchers/greys looking for good homes. http://www.paws.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Third recommendation for MJ at Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary!

LizzyT wrote: »
    Do you still need a home for beautiful lurcher?
    We rescued a badly treated whippet last year and
    we are looking for a little friend for him.
    We live on the West of Ireland
    Hi lizzy i rehomed him he settled in well with his new owner.Try orchard greyhound rescue.

Advertisement