Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help needed

Options
  • 02-08-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hello All
    I have a 99 astra 1.4 16V petrol. that has started to "chugg" when i pull away from a stand still. rev counter acts normal ??ive changed the plugs and used injector cleaner also cleaned the carb problem not solved though.
    Any one any ideas
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Please some one help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    Please some one help!!

Could be coil pack on it's way out or an air flow sensor. Both common problems on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

More info - how long/far does the chugging persist? Does it happen all the time or only when hot/cold?

I had a similar problem in a 2006 Zafira which was caused by clutch judder but it was only prevalent for the first few metres after engaging the clutch.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Had a similar problem in my last car, and it was caused by the distributor cables. One wasn't connecting properly and a second one was on it's last legs. New set sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Most likely problem is coil pack causing a misfire on acceleration. EGR valves get dirty on them but that would usually cause lumpy idle, hard start problems also. 99 astra 1.4 would be a x14xe engine so doesnt have plug leads or distributor leads, its all one unit built into the coil pack. It also doesnt have an air flow meter. OP would you know a misfire if you heard it? does it seem like its missing? A missfire in that engine wont bring on the engine management light either due to it only having one oxygen sensor. Unless you think its not missing, I would get a coil pack for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Lucifer wrote: »
    Most likely problem is coil pack causing a misfire on acceleration. EGR valves get dirty on them but that would usually cause lumpy idle, hard start problems also. 99 astra 1.4 would be a x14xe engine so doesnt have plug leads or distributor leads, its all one unit built into the coil pack. It also doesnt have an air flow meter. OP would you know a misfire if you heard it? does it seem like its missing? A missfire in that engine wont bring on the engine management light either due to it only having one oxygen sensor. Unless you think its not missing, I would get a coil pack for it.

Opps, was thinking of a Corsa I changed an air flow meter on last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Yes the 1.0 and 1.2 engines have an airflow meter and you are correct, they do give trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Cheers lads
    Gives me something to work on

Advertisement