Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental Health

Options
  • 02-08-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

What are any environmental health graduates at??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

Bluemoney wrote: »
    What are any environmental health graduates at??

Heya Bluemoney!

I'm going into 4th year of Environmental Health, but i took a year out between 2nd and 3rd year. A lot of my old class have just finished.

One friend got a job in Health Promotion with MEAS, the group that run drinkaware.ie, another got a job as an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) in Perth, Australia. One got a temporary job as an EHO with the HSE out in Blanchardstown.

I know many people over the years who have finished this course. A lot have gone to Australia/New Zealand to work over there for a bit because with a Degree in Environmental Health from DIT you automatically get a visa for those countries. A lot ohave gone to England because there arent enough EHO's over there. A few have stayed here and gotten jobs in varying industries. Either in Food Safety consultancy, health promotion, Banking and all sorts.

Any questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluemoney

Hey Thanks for your help,

Any other replies would be great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

I did Environmental Health, finished a few years ago, im now in IT. I wouldnt say many people have gone to Oz, I would know a lot of people from over the years and i think theres about 3 over there all together. There is a good few over in the UK though. In fact if anyone wants a job over in Oz I can put you in contact with the recruiter for West Oz and give the email of a mate from my class whos working over there at the moment.

You'd wanna be **** hot to get a job in Ireland as an EHO at the moment, theres no jobs at all, even in private industry most of the jobs are Food Safety Consultancy and Health and Safety - the thought of doing either of them for the rest of my life turned me away from the EH area, just wasnt for me.

Are Babs and Kiely still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluemoney

Yep there still there, donno how though. Thanks for your help, im just trying to find out what lies ahead of me when I finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Lamps wrote: »
    You'd wanna be **** hot to get a job in Ireland as an EHO at the moment, theres no jobs at all, even in private industry most of the jobs are Food Safety Consultancy and Health and Safety - the thought of doing either of them for the rest of my life turned me away from the EH area, just wasnt for me.

Kiely still there?
    Agreed

I left after first year, i realised the course wasn't for me. If you do stay in Ireland it is like a lottery trying to secure an EHO position. Should you move into the private sectors such as Health & Safety you're left with a clip board and high vis vest for the rest of your life telling people not to this and that, becoming an increasingly bitter person as the years go on!

Kiely, ah fun times. 90% of his lecturing involves straying away from the subject at hand and telling you his life story, not much to be learned at all! Nice man though!

• Advertisement

Well I worked as an Environmental Health and Safety Officer for a year after coming out of college - my gawd did I hate it, the boredom was unreal. I felt like the degree hardly helped me at all - ye I knew the basics of H&S from Victors lectures (he was farily sound) but it does not begin to go into the depth thats required in the industry. Imo the course has far to much of an emphasis on Food Safety, which in the past would of been ok with most gradutes going on to become EHOS in ireland, but now with very few jobs its ridiculous. Plus if you do go to the UK or Oz to work as an EHO, food saftey will make up only a small portion of your work, Environmental, housing and H&S are equally if not more importnat over there, whereas in ireland its much smaller portion of the work and EHOs dont even deal with H&S.

I was really into EH in college, loved the course, got a 1st class honours degree and to this day would love to be an EHO in Ireland (who wouldnt, a handy number, good salary for a graduate, a really well respected job and fairly intresting) but I cant see it happening so have moved into an industry that im genuinly intrested in.

Moving abroad never intrested and it seems its the best option to the OP if he wants to work as an EHO, but if not remeber the degree is a really broad degree and can be applied to quite a lot of areas....

Oh and Gazza how did you know the course wasnt for you? 1st year is just the sciences - its 2nd year when the fun starts and you really get an insight into what its all about.

Plus whta bloke could not love that course - about 6/7 blokes and about 35 birds!! Oh did me and the lads have fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Lamps wrote: »
    Oh and Gazza how did you know the course wasnt for you? 1st year is just the sciences - its 2nd year when the fun starts and you really get an insight into what its all about.

Plus whta bloke could not love that course - about 6/7 blokes and about 35 birds!! Oh did me and the lads have fun!!

No don't get me wrong i didn't just take my first year to heart and leave without looking into it. I spoke with the tutors and a few people from the years ahead of me to get a picture of what to expect and i just wasn't interested.

It was never my first choice to begin with so that never helped. I'm happily in Biomedical at Kevin St now!

Oh and Lamps, hey i know what you mean about the women to men ratio in EH, it was great, especially the trip down to Wicklow (or as Kiely said Wicklaaa....wicklaaaa!) in first year! ;)

haha the first trip to wicklow is the highlight of the course.

Todd took us down to Kerry one of the years to, what a laugh that was. Us lads used to drink ourselves into oblivion at night and then lock all the doors and ignore the banging the enxt morning, have a nice lie in and get ready for another season. Ah they were the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

I broke my foot on the trip to wicklow...jumped out of my bunk and landed on a belt buckle....I didn't feel the pain though....vodka helped that....

Yes...Babs and kiely are still here.....

Seamus still teaches a milk module....all the EHO's laughed when they heard that one on placement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement