Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single speed cranks

Options
  • 02-08-2008 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

what do people recommend for single speed cranks? Looking at some Race Face DH ones for €95 on Wiggle but wondering did anyone have any other ones I should look at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

For mountainbiking? I'd go for any Shimano crankset (from Deore to XTR) and replace the rings (you can easily sell them on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's for an internal gear hub. So you reckon I'm better off buying a shimano triple and removing two of the chainrings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

penexpers wrote: »
    It's for an internal gear hub. So you reckon I'm better off buying a shimano triple and removing two of the chainrings?

You'll be able to buy cranks and chain rings seperately if you want, and can get washers to adjust the chain line if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What have you got? Rohloff?

Shimano cranks tend to be reliable if not all that exciting. I'd ditch all the rings (sell them as a set) and install a single non-ramped chainring. Maybe a bashguard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

big ol' thread about them here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055294511

remember that if it's for a fixie then the longer the crank then the more chance you have of catching it on the ground cornering

Whatever the application then buying a dedicated single speed crank means you will know what length your bb spindle should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Hi have an mtb with a shimano alfine 8 speed hub gear set up. I just converted my shimano lx cranks (external bearing bb) by discarding the three standard chainrings and replacing with a Thorn single one (104 BCD) from sjscycles.co.uk, mounted on the middle ring. You'll need single ring chainbolts, though. Chainline not quite straight but you can get spacers for the BB that can sort that out. I'm not that bothered, tbh.

Thanks for the help!

So after some more researching, I'm going to go with cranks and chainring from http://www.specialites-ta.com .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't know if this is any good to you but here's a link to Middleburn. I use their cranks with TA rings.
    http://www.middleburn.co.uk/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement