Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression : Medical Bracelet

Options
  • 02-08-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Bit of a background first.

I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago. First I was put on 20mg of Citrol and this was ok for a few weeks but then I started to feel bad again. I was then put on Fluzac which drove me absolutely mental after about a week. I got completely random thoughts in my head which made me want to either bang my head off a wall repeatedly or just cut myself to take away the pain.

Anyway at the time I was lucky because I had a friend with me who knows about my condition and brought me straight to my doctor who told me that it will take a few more weeks for fluzac to kick in. He gave me Xanax to tie me over for the meantime..

Anyway I was wondering, If this was to happen to me while I was in work etc (which i don't particularly want my job knowing about tbh) would it be good to have a medical bracelet ?

I thought they were mainly for people who are diabetic or those who suffer from allergies until my friend mentioned it to me.

So basically my question is do many suffers of depression wear medical bracelets?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hiya,

I've never heard of such a thing. With diabetes and stuff, I thnk the point of the bracelets is incase you pass out or have an accident, then paramedics will know what to do.

I can't see what use having a depression one would be or why you would want one. If I go mental in work, a bracelet on my wrist isn't gonna be that much use to me...

Best thing would be to let a manager know that you are on medication, keep it simple, they have no legal or moral right to judge. That way if you flip out, you can just explain that your medication isn't workng and you need to leave to see a doctor. That's what I would do. Thankfully I have never had to yet. Although two weeks ago I did have to crawl under my desk and sit crying and hugging my knees and rocking while customers politely ignored me. Ah, a day in the life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

there are plenty of medical alert kits you can get where you don't have to specify on the piece what the condition is, there's a number that hospital staff can call to get your medical record. I think if it gives the wearer some piece of mind, it's a good thing. It's no harm to let hospitals know that you are taking particular medication even if it has no effect on whatever it is you happen to be in hospital for.

Advertisement