Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

rathfarnham

• 02-08-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

i am living in rathfarnham for this year in college.... just wondering what is this area like for getting to UCD... ill have my car

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

A car is better than the 17 bus anyday. But if you're going to be in for 9am, you'll need to be on your way by 8am. If you're in anytime from 11 on it'll take about 15 minutes max. Of course then you won't be able to find parking. It's all about pros and cons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Wont take you too long to drive to college, 45 minutes max in rush hour traffic i would say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

A car is better than the 17 bus anyday. But if you're going to be in for 9am, you'll need to be on your way by 8am. If you're in anytime from 11 on it'll take about 15 minutes max. Of course then you won't be able to find parking. It's all about pros and cons...

17bus the only one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The only direct route. Sometimes I use to do a 75 to Stillorgan Village then a 46A, or equivalent, combination. This would be after waiting for the 17 for an hour or something and fairly pissed off at it not showing.

Cycling is the way to go though really. Takes about 25 minutes and no need to spend another hour trying to get parking.

There's a 15X bus too actually that goes from Knocklyon via Ballyboden, Rathfarnham Village on into town and then out to Belfield - now that's crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

Oh thanks.
    Yeah, the 15 sounds good for going up anyway,
    there's no late bus back. i'll keep looking for a way up there.
    Cycling's eh... not for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The 17 is a pain in the proverbials to rely on. It's the one thing that, during the first week back, I can guarantee will having me saying "I can't believe I came back to this ****!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

Cycle only solution, parking is a NIGHTMARE anytime after 11am in Ucd (especially the 1st 2 weeks) and the traffic in the morning and evening will drve you cracked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Depending on where in Rathfarnham, might it be walkable?. e.g. from the north side, along the Dodder, to Richview?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Are you seriously proposing driving the whopping 4 km from rathfarnham to UCD every day? Rush hour starts at 07.00 now, all spaces in college are gone by 09.00 so you're probably looking at about an 08.10ish departure time...

Cycling is the best way in followed by walking. Buses are too affected by traffic and eccentric in their times to make any serious time saving in the mornings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

wow somebody seems a little angry! i posted this looking for advice! relax dude! and to be honest i am really grateful to all the responses, but i would rather stand and wait in the rain for hours for a bus than cycle.... not my thing!!!

and i have driven every other year to college (as have all my roommates) and you can always get a space up to 10am, sometimes half 10 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

oh the fun of finding parking at ucd at 10.30 am........it can only be describes as delightful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

wow somebody seems a little angry! i posted this looking for advice! relax dude!

If you are referring to Tayto2000's post I think you read it wrong.
    and to be honest i am really grateful to all the responses, but i would rather stand and wait in the rain for hours for a bus than cycle.... not my thing!!! and i have driven every other year to college (as have all my roommates) and you can always get a space up to 10am, sometimes half 10 :)

Out of curiosity, do you ever car pool*?

*cant believe I actually used that phrase. God damn yanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

lol ... we do car pool when we can, but our timetables are very different :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

get a bike, itll take 10 - 15 minutes.

Advertisement