Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Help - Secure Network - Please??

Options
  • 02-08-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I have set up my wireless network successfully with a Thomson ST780WL router using their quick wizard over wlan (no cable connected to the computer) However when I go to Security Mode in the router configure file to install a WEP password to make my connection secure, after pressing apply the wlan internet connection drops. ( I presume because of the new password)

However it disconnects before completing the task. Leaving me with an open non secured connection. I keep going around in circles. Is there any around this bar buying an ethernet connection.

Can anyone help, I am driving insane!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Welcome to the insane world of wireless networks, :D

You should have gotten at least one Ethernet cable with your router? If not then yes you'll have to get one from somewhere to do the config of the router, always best to do the config using a wired link to the router as it stops the situation you are having from arising.

Try with a cable and get back to us if it fails (might be another issue altogether)

MC

tvr wrote: »
    I have set up my wireless network successfully with a Thomson ST780WL router using their quick wizard over wlan (no cable connected to the computer) However when I go to Security Mode in the router configure file to install a WEP password to make my connection secure, after pressing apply the wlan internet connection drops. ( I presume because of the new password)

However it disconnects before completing the task. Leaving me with an open non secured connection. I keep going around in circles. Is there any around this bar buying an ethernet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

tvr wrote: »

1. Connect using an ethernet cable to change settings that required the AP to be reactivated.
    2. Download and upgrade the latest firmware from your router.
    3. With your ethernet - router connection working properly, set up your Wireless LAN using WPA2 (TKP+AES) for security.
    4. Your router will require a reboot to restart the Access Point. When it has rebooted, *then* disconnect the ethernet cable and attempt to connect to your WPA2-protected WLAN.

Advertisement