Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect bites

Options
  • 02-08-2008 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

I got bitten by some flying insect on Thursday night while playing tag rugby. Now my arm and back of my knee are swollen around the bites and they hurt :-(

I'm hoping they'll be gone down by the time I go on holidays on Monday.

Argh!!

Vent here about your insect tales of woe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I killed two flies last night. .o>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Lol, thought the title was "incest bites".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LadyJ wrote: »
    It's not? Damn it. /leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

In Sardinia last May a group of us were holidaying before a wedding. One of my cousin's and I are particluarly fair skinned and for that reason (I think) the mosquitos loved us. They loved all of us, but mostly our legs. So we ended up with masses of bites which turned into red lumps which joined up and turned into lumpy RASHES and we were eaten alive by the end of the week. Worst thing was, we were both bridesmaids and the dresses were just below knee length!!! We managed to disguise them well enough but whatever bit us were hardy little feckers.

A month after arriving home mine were worse then ever. huge, red and scabbing over (eeeuuuggghhhh). Had to get special cream for them and was terrifed they'd scar. They only faded last month, about seven weeks after I'd obtained them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

pookie82 wrote: »
    In Sardinia last May a group of us were holidaying before a wedding. One of my cousin's and I are particluarly fair skinned and for that reason (I think) the mosquitos loved us. They loved all of us, but mostly our legs. So we ended up with masses of bites which turned into red lumps which joined up and turned into lumpy RASHES and we were eaten alive by the end of the week. Worst thing was, we were both bridesmaids and the dresses were just below knee length!!! We managed to disguise them well enough but whatever bit us were hardy little feckers.

A month after arriving home mine were worse then ever. huge, red and scabbing over (eeeuuuggghhhh). Had to get special cream for them and was terrifed they'd scar. They only faded last month, about seven weeks after I'd obtained them.

Don't scare me! The one on my leg is ok I think. But I've two really close together on my arm that are scabby and it's after making my arm really swollen. I've never gotten bites like it before.
    Thankfully they're not too itchy, it's the swelling that's slightly worrying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Get yourself to a chemist pronto. They'll give you an antihistamine and a cream to combat the worst of the swelling. Depending on the nasty little critter that bit you, you may or may not have an uncomfortable reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

pookie82 wrote: »
    Get yourself to a chemist pronto. They'll give you an antihistamine and a cream to combat the worst of the swelling. Depending on the nasty little critter that bit you, you may or may not have an uncomfortable reaction.

I got clarityn alright today. I'll have to get the cream tomorrow.

If it doesn't go down I might take a trip to the out of hours doc tomorrow. I don't really fancy having my holidays ruined by getting a bad reaction to the bloody thing. What a nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Antisan ointment is fantastic stuff OP, worth a try anyways..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

If the bites are oozing then they might be infected which would mean you'd need to take a trip to your doctor.

I got bitten by two mozzies a few months back now and my ankle swelled up to twice it's normal size and started to ooze horribleness :) My doctor put me on a course of anti-biotics which cleared it up pretty quick.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

b3t4 wrote: »
    I got bitten by two mozzies a few months back now and my ankle swelled up to twice it's normal size and started to ooze horribleness :) My doctor put me on a course of anti-biotics which cleared it up pretty quick.

A.

:eek:

I find any of the anaesthetic, over the counter creams like germolene are fantastic for the succession of ant bites i've been getting this summer - the cream stops the itchy. Any problems i've had with bites have been linked to me scratching the heck out of them, unconsciously usually.

Anyone else scratched bites in their sleep? What was a little red bump when i fall asleep can be an angry, potentially infected red weal by the time i wake up....

• Advertisement

I've only just rid of last years mozzie bites!
    They half healed over but refused to clear up.
    I got a bit peeved and went at the skin with a bit of veet, leaving me with a bald patch on my arm.
    So then the whole lot had to come off...it never occured to me that the chemist might have a solution.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

In the sunday times style mag it said that vitamin b1 acts as a repellent to the mosquitos so you should take vitamin b tabs. I never get bitten thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Dee369369 wrote: »
    In the sunday times style mag it said that vitamin b1 acts as a repellent to the mosquitos so you should take vitamin b tabs. I never get bitten thank god!
    Gin and tonic is also meant to help repel those pesky mosquitos.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Just back from Crete yesterday... I got a HUGE mosquito bite on my foot, was really odd!! Have 2 on arm, 2 on neck, 3 on legs on very first night within 2 hours!! Not fun!!

Had forgotten to bring a mix of essential oils i'd made up with me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

LadyJ wrote: »

I thought it was about really small boobs, tis what i call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Elbert

I cut the grass yesterday and got bitten by something that I think was a mosquito. Just one bite on my thigh. Didnt feel it at the time but saw a red thing that looked like a hive when I finished grass cutting. Over the next few hours a large area the size of my opened hand became really hard and really hot but not too itchy. Then by bedtime I was in agony and limping with the pain. I find when I stay still for long periods of time its OK but hurts (throbs) like mad when I move again. Im wondering should I go to the doctor or might the pharmacist sort me out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Elbert wrote: »
    I cut the grass yesterday and got bitten by something that I think was a mosquito. Just one bite on my thigh. Didnt feel it at the time but saw a red thing that looked like a hive when I finished grass cutting. Over the next few hours a large area the size of my opened hand became really hard and really hot but not too itchy. Then by bedtime I was in agony and limping with the pain. I find when I stay still for long periods of time its OK but hurts (throbs) like mad when I move again. Im wondering should I go to the doctor or might the pharmacist sort me out?

Ah if it was a mosquito you wouldn't feel it, cos the little feckers inject anaesthetic first so they can get their fill without you noticing. :mad::mad:

If I was you I would go the the chemist first, they'll be able to give you good advice and tell you whether you need to go to a doctor or not. I find antihistamine tablets and steroid cream are both great for bringing down that kind of swelling.

I get badly bitten at night here (Catch 22: Close the window and go mad from the heat, or leave the window and get eaten alive by mosquitos. Arrgh!). The little feckers would have such a good time that if you kill them you get blood everywhere (urrgh). I tried lots of chemicals repellents, citronella, vitamin B. Nothing works well; So I both a mosquito net for the bed. That does the job. (And it looks pretty).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Aw man I was in Denmark at a festival a couple of weeks ago and I still have mosquito bites all over my legs. And my arse. Dunno how they got up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

I got bitten two nights ago twice on my leg.... Woke up the next night with blood and scratches everywhere :eek: I'd been scratching them like there was no tomorrow in my sleep. Straight down the chemist for all sorts of creams, fingers crossed very hard they wont scar. It looks like something was trying to eat me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I get badly bitten at night here (Catch 22: Close the window and go mad from the heat, or leave the window and get eaten alive by mosquitos. Arrgh!).

Screens on the windows will provide much relief!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

I heard on the radio a few years ago that if you always get bitten by insects it means you're very sexy...

I choose to believe this! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

SeekUp wrote: »
    Screens on the windows will provide much relief!

The windows open in the way here so not sure if that would work but I'll look into it! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

In Singapore 2 years ago I was mysteriously bitten many, many, many times! And had some odd reaction. The bites all swelled up massively and as there were loads of them they sort of joined together and I had massive red lumps on various parts of me. Off I went to the doctor, who was mesmerised by me - she said she had never seen so many bites on the one person before, she counted over 90 of them!! She gave me very strong antihistamines that would knock a horse and some type of magic cream to help with the itching.

Unfortunately the marks from the bites took weeks to fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

I'm in the same boat at the moment. Was on holiday in America 2 weeks ago and got bitten a few times over there. Came home, and over the past few days they have swelled up and look like targets, its very odd! Went to the doctor who said they just need time to fade away, but it doesnt look like they will be going away any time soon. :( Its crap because they look horrific! Ive got my fingers crossed that there will be no marks or scars, Ive got a wedding coming up in a few weeks!

Advertisement