Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HI I need some advice

Options
  • 02-08-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi all,

im not a regular poster here and i was told between everyone here someone knows the answer to any question so ill ask.my engine is burning oil,possibly because of a worn piston ring and im not in a financial position to just trade in the car and get a new one.whats the pit falls of re conditioned engines are they worth a punt for what i was told would be about 1300 euro or would i be buying myself into more trouble??the car is a nissan almera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Is it petrol or diesel and what year is it?

How much oil is it burning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Rebuilding an engine is a rare thing these days except if it was a performance or classic car. Burning oil could be from worn valve seals or rings. A good mechanic should be able to tell you with a compression tester.

If the rings are knacked more than likely the rest of the engine is knacked and it would be just worth while contacting a scrap yard or API and get a quote for a replacement block. Get several quotes for doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get it tested for compression as stated already.

Is it leaking oil?

If you need a new (used) engine get yourself down to your local scrappie or I would recommend a trip to Traynors in Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think you need to be 100% sure that the oil consumption is down to worn rings. It could be worn valve stem oil seals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

Cionád wrote: »
    Is it petrol or diesel and what year is it?

How much oil is it burning?

its a 01 1.5 petrol.i go thru a five litre bottle of oil every two to three weeks depending how much i drive it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

robpurf wrote: »
    its a 01 1.5 petrol.i go thru a five litre bottle of oil every two to three weeks depending how much i drive it

Thats quite a bit, how many miles do you cover for that? Also what mileage is on the engine and presumably the car, it'll give a chance for posters to give best opinion on what's worth doing.

yeah that would make sense alright give all the facts!!i do about 54 miles a day six days a week and theres about 85000 miles on it give or take.its mainly motorway id be doing and while i may speed the odd time if im in a hurry it wouldnt be by more than five mph over.i always try to keep the rev counter at three and a half tops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is it actually burning oil (blue smoke from the exhaust) or is it just a leak (you're driveway would have lots of oil if it's going at the rate you describe)?

Option 1 - fit a new (used) engine, guess about €1k if you get a mechanic to do it.
    Option 2 - fix the leak, might be best depending on where it is.
    Option 3 - cut your losses and change the car before it turns into a money pit.

Either way, seek the advice of a trusted mechanic before you go any further.

yeah i think changing it would be best i had it in getting a service and they done the comsumption test and said its more than likely down to worn rings.a new engine is a more feasible option for me at the minute money wise

yeah i think changing it would be best i had it in getting a service and they done the comsumption test and said its more than likely down to worn rings.a new engine is a more feasible option for me at the minute money wise

How long did they have the car for? This 'consumption' test sounds unusual unless they tested emmissions. It might be no harm to get a second opinion. I don't wish to cast aspersions on your mechanic/repairer but 'get a new engine' sounds like an easy option.

• Advertisement

they had it for a day and i went off and drove it for a week and dropped it in again for another day.i had to do so many miles they said.thats why im garnering a cross section of opinion because it was the dealer where i bought it and i dont trust dealership mechanics

they had it for a day and i went off and drove it for a week and dropped it in again for another day.i had to do so many miles they said.thats why im garnering a cross section of opinion because it was the dealer where i bought it and i dont trust dealership mechanics

OK - not bad. They've only ascertained how much oil you have lost but it doesn't shed any light on where the oil is being lost.

Here's something you can try yourself. When safe to do so, drive the car to about 100km/h in 3rd gear. Release the throttle and let the car slow down of it's own accord to about 50 or 60 km/h. Press the clutch to the floor and rev the engine, if you see a plume of smoke then it's the valve stem seals and not the rings. If it turns out that this is the case then it will be substantially cheaper to repair than a replacement engine.

No harm in being sure before you spend a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

If it is worn piston rings, the simplest repair is oversize rings. they are available for most engines and is an easy and cheap ish job for a mechanic. I got mine done in a mechanics front garden took a day and cost a small amount/ worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

engines and is an easy and cheap ish job for a mechanic

Thats a bold statement:eek:! We are still talking about a couple of hundred euros, and they are not an easy job to do.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Thats a bold statement:eek:! We are still talking about a couple of hundred euros, and they are not an easy job to do.

I take your point - the job of replacing an engine is not the easiest, but it will guarantee the mechanic that the oil consumption will be erradicated - at maximum expense to the customer/OP...... To me it sounds like the easy option from a diagnosis point of view.

lads thanks for all the advice ill try that test on my next day off and go from there id prefer to sell the car on but as i said im not in a position to take out more finance at the minute and the car market really is a buyers one these days

Advertisement