Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Square "Shopping" Complex

• 02-08-2008 7:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the story is with the Railway Square Shopping complex is? We only have Storm Cinemas and a Centra that is delaying opening. Why wont anybody take up the units?

Also, the car park is a bit of a mess and hard for pedestrians to get in/out. Tis awful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

not sure myself, but its been what a year or more? someone fcuked up badly! Very badly, i though the place would be full by now, id say the investors arent pleased on how things turned out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not the nicest design though, but could still work out well.

I assume there looking for to high a price and people wont use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

for some reason anything at that end of town never seems to do well, baker st has closed and changed names on a couple of occasions , o gradys yard is only back open after been closed for ages , railway square shopping complex cant get tenent's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

SUNGOD wrote: »
    for some reason anything at that end of town never seems to do well, baker st has closed and changed names on a couple of occasions , o gradys yard is only back open after been closed for ages , railway square shopping complex cant get tenent's.

We have this concept in Waterford of the 'doomed unit', where businesses will never thrive, coupled with this irritating knack of always calling a place by the name of its doomed predecessor. The Kazbar used to be a doomed unit. Money and/or a good idea changes everything. Bad businesses close down. Baker st. and O'Grady's yard were fairly non-descript places in fairness. As well as that, if people get the sense that a place will be gone in 6 months, they're not going to bother with it. Not a great attitude maybe, but then the business people seem to have the same attitude, we'll give it 6 months and see what happens. Fletchers has tried something new -- it's not Baker st. -- and it looks like it has started to do well. Dignity could hardly be compared to O'Grady's yard, which was clearly targeting a different market (what market?). Dignity will live or die on the local gay community presumably. It's also worth pointing out that the Wander Inn has been in the same area for donkeys years!

A Pizza Hut tried to get into Railway sq, but iirc., a certain well known serial objector got it shot down on the grounds of signage. A Supervalu has been 'just about to open' for months now, and the rumour is that there is a vermin problem because of the river... If those places opened and started doing well, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two other places opened in there as well. High street shopping, though, it will never be. The units are just not suitable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Pizza Hut got their permission granted, but it wasnt to do with signage I think. SuperValue opening? That was a rumour I assume, as it was the company who owns SuperValue applied for PP - now they have placed Centra there but its not opening (the real reason and the excuse used seems to be very different).

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    We have this concept in Waterford of the 'doomed unit', where businesses will never thrive, coupled with this irritating knack of always calling a place by the name of its doomed predecessor. The Kazbar used to be a doomed unit.

A Supervalu has been 'just about to open' for months now, and the rumour is that there is a vermin problem because of the river... If those places opened and started doing well,

Vermin problemm even if it was only a rumour can be enough to really kill a place. The reason O Gradys yard was killed so badly was because of the rent the owners were asking for, also it was ment to be modelled like a "3shippes" but it wasnt snug and wide open.

Oh as for the vermin rumour id believe it, ive heard their has been a rat infestation in the tall apartments in Johns Street, oh and by the yellow road too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I heard that businesses are reluctant to move in because of the lack of flexibility on floorspace. The units are all solid walled and small, so no business can purchase 2 units and expand. Clothing retailers (2 based in Debenhams in particular) would not move there because of lack of space for changing rooms and storage etc...

Basically biggest planning disaster ever.

Sully wrote: »
    Basically biggest planning disaster ever.

aye kinda like the trinity shopping place, if anyone can remember that or if that is the correct name for the place ?

wonder how much money did they lose on it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can't see Centra going in their now, about 100metyres away there's tesco';s with a big car park thats free and then there's Centra with no parking facilities (yes I know there's underground but nobody is going to [park there for a pint of milk)

Then up the road at Masons you have another large Centra, centra in the railway square dev is screwed and anyone hoping to make a profit off it must be on some mind bending drugs :)

I know the Centra is almost finisged but they'd be mad to open it at this stage,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

centra in railway square in waterford is doing really badly they are cuttinf the size of the shop by half , they are clearing the sheleves as i type this message , ive said it from the start it wont last , i give it another 3 to 4 months maybe more or less , if even that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Man11 wrote: »
    centra in railway square in waterford is doing really badly they are cuttinf the size of the shop by half , they are clearing the sheleves as i type this message , ive said it from the start it wont last , i give it another 3 to 4 months maybe more or less , if even that

and what is the point of an identical post in two threads (this being is almost a year old?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

I was in said Centra today and I must say; the shelves looked fully stocked to me..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm standing outside right now and it fully open and stocked. You may want to lay off the sauce a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Every single post of this guy is aimed at detracting from that area, particularly Centra. I wonder what kind of agenda he could possibly have. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Every single post of this guy is aimed at detracting from that area, particularly Centra. I wonder what kind of agenda he could possibly have. :confused:
    Disgruntled tesco worker?

i think he is what we call a "bogey"

i think he is what we call a "bogey"
    He's in my nose

He's in my nose

only if your nose is as big as your chin:D

only if your nose is as big as your chin:D
    Not even close :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Looks like there could be something afoot here now. A new planning notice is up in the former temporary Pennys unit. 12927 ft mezzanine floor with lift, escalators and stairs. A sign that someone wants to move in, or just the developers trying a change in an attempt to attract business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Maybe tkmaxx?

Sounds kinda like the one they have in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

I've heard from someone who used to work in the Pennys in Railway SQ, that TK-Max is looking to set up shop there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    I've heard from someone who used to work in the Pennys in Railway SQ, that TK-Max is looking to set up shop there,

In fairness, how would they know?

If your friend was a TK Maxx worker it would make the rumour more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 citylad

tk Maxx are looking at their options -
    one city based auctioneer is pushing it to tk Maxx
    as well as M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Rumour: Something going in there.

Reality: Still empty next Paddy's day.

Place your bets now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

KingLoser wrote: »
    Rumour: Something going in there.

Reality: Still empty next Paddy's day.

Place your bets now.

I have money that says something will be in there within the next 12 months so! I'm willing to take a piece of that action... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

citylad wrote: »
    tk Maxx are looking at their options -
    one city based auctioneer is pushing it to tk Maxx
    as well as M&S

M&S should hold out for the Newgate center but I suppose them being in railwaysquare is better than out the ring road. I wonder how many jobs that serial objector has cost Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who's that? *cough*

• Advertisement
Advertisement