Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle routes from Cork?

Options
  • 02-08-2008 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi
    I have been living in Cork for a little while and now Im looking for scenic routes of 20something miles, to enjoy the rare sunny moments we get. I live in Blackrock and have been to Cobh and the surrounding areas, and found a nice little loop going from Rochestown to Monskstown on the hills, but would be nice to have a bit of variety. I am a total beginner, but quite like hills just a bit worried about the cars..
    any suggestions would be very welcome

cheers
    sf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Kinsale is a bit longer but a nice one- there is a very quiet and very hilly route and then you can return by the main road by the airport.

Blarney is also good and there is a loop you can do coming back in the Lee Road. Still a bit of a hill but certainly less than Kinsale (shorter too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

many thanks blorg. I think I will try the Blarney loop tomorrow, I have been thinking of going there for a while.
    I'm afraid I would never make it to Kinsale and back, not at this stage anyway :rolleyes:

I think this is the general idea for Blarney - note there is a shorter option to come back (e.g. the R579.)

Even if you don't go all the way to Kinsale- there is a sort of town/pub/shop less than half the way there that you could turn back at- we go out Togher Rd and Spur Hill (unfortunately this is one Google Maps thinks stops in the middle, it tends to do this!)

This is the road anyway, ends up in Ballinhassig and you can turn back and go along the main Kinsale Road back (which is much easier, less hilly.) This is a very nice quiet and picturesque road although _very_ hilly!

ok I don't know about this thanking with this hand pic, but thanks so much anyway. I think I will manage the Blarney one tomorrow, even if I get lost that's not the end of the world.
    I think I'll wait until I am strong enough to go all the way to Kinsale, so cool to arrive to a place thanks solely to your own efforts (and the bike of course). Would have never found that road without your map, so thanks again
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

options

Blackrock-passage west -carrigtwohill-old road to glanmire or Watergrasshill via leamlara and back to glanmire via old n7 - city & home.

Blackrock to city to North mall - up st annes hill on to Clogheen church and down into blarney.

blackrock to bandon road - ballinhassig - carrigaline - passage - blackrock

• Advertisement

many thanks roadmanmad, I don't know why I never thought of turning to the left after the ferry (I only ever went to Cobh).... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

blorg wrote: »
    ..... Ballinhassig

Just so you know, all the signs are twisted around the wrong way in Ballinhassig so if you follow the "sign" for Kinsale you'll end up doing some very stiff hills. It's the first time I've ever used my lowest gear! Just follow the road that looks like the right one rather than the one that is sign-posted and you'll be fine.

yours sincerely 7:20hr of being lost in the saddle yesterday!;)

Just so you know, all the signs are twisted around the wrong way in Ballinhassig so if you follow the "sign" for Kinsale you'll end up doing some very stiff hills.
    I'm pretty sure that is the road I am talking about though, I already said it was _very_ hilly! It's a lot quieter and more picturesque, and hills can be good for their own sake. You would continue on more or less straight from the road I linked above and you go up a big hill with sometimes a dog on the top. It takes you past the Irish Camp from 1601 and then down a hill past a pub, up to the main Kinsale Road where you turn left for Kinsale. There may be one or two other undulations that I forget.

It is hilly! I don't deny it! (I may have an elevation profile somewhere.)

thanks hunnymonster & blorg, for the info. I have just returned from Blackrock-Blarney-Tower-Blackrock, really nice ride, came just under 26 miles, and only had to ask my way 1x, and encountered 1 nasty driver which is not so bad... time of my life. thanks again!

On the road,

Be seen is a must. Lots of strong colour.

When it comes to cars, my experience is that you normally stay 2 to 3 feet from the road edge. When hear a car coming up behind you move in to about 2 feet only, any closer and you still have some space to play with.
    On bends going left you tend to stay out an extra foot in order to increase the time a car will see you. They have the extra fraction of a second to slow down as you pull inwards to the 2 foot position.

On bends turning right, staying between 2 foot and 1 foot allows you a view of an extra 10 foot or so. Also do not be afraid to signal to a driver not to pass. Right hand out palm backwards, most will apprecitiate it. Also only signal for a car to pass when you are sure they can. You are not obliged to signal.It is never the first driver you have to worry about normally, it is the forth or fifth in a queue who is not spending as much time focusing on the road.

• Advertisement

thanks Roadmanmad, for the advice. I have been commuting to work on bikes for the last 5 years or so, in different cities, so I am quite confident in urbain environments. However, it feels so different on the road, especially here (narrow roads, awful lot of curves and some silly driving). so your advice is really useful. And that one driver, who was aggressive, was, just like you said, something like the 5th car to pass me..
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

For a nice rolling course through the trees, head out the Coachford Road past the Inniscarra Reservoir. Never too much traffic. Saw lots of other roadies on my spin out that way yesterday.

A lap around Great Island is another good option. Just head out to Passage West and take the ferry over. The parts of the island east of Cobh are really quiet with some lovely scenery. Go anti-clockwise to get the few hills over while you're fresh.

There's also lots of great cycling in the area between Oysterhaven and Crosshaven, including places like Robert's Cove, etc.

Slightly further afield, the irregular-shaped box formed by Kinsale, Old Head, Courtmacsherry Bay and Bandon is beaut cycling country. Sure if the distance is too great you could always drive to Kinsale and start from there.

hi cantalach,

many thanks for your reply. I see, there are plenty of rides to do around here!!
    Re. Crosshaven, would that be a nice place to see the sea somewhere around there? We have been planning to cycle to the sea for a while and in terms of distance it seems just about feasible for us, but would be good to know where it's kind of pretty and not some industrial site. Looking at google map/pics, Myrtleville, Church bay etc are right on the coast, but it's a bit of a hit and miss (we don't have a car to check out routes before).

cheers
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi cantalach,

many thanks for your reply. I see, there are plenty of rides to do around here!!
    Re. Crosshaven, would that be a nice place to see the sea somewhere around there? We have been planning to cycle to the sea for a while and in terms of distance it seems just about feasible for us, but would be good to know where it's kind of pretty and not some industrial site. Looking at google map/pics, Myrtleville, Church bay etc are right on the coast, but it's a bit of a hit and miss (we don't have a car to check out routes before).

cheers
    sf

Hi Scary - road to Crosshaven is nice - I've gone that neck of the woods a fair bit (living in Carrigaine) - not sure if you can go to Church Bay and come back a different route (i.e think it might be a dead end) but you can definitely head towards Myrtlville/Fountainstown - road surface not great but it is nice and quiet (a small bit hilly) - If you are heading back to Carrigaline go through Ballyfeard and come up via Kinsale road in Carrigaline as if you come back the main Carrig/Minane bridge road it is SHOCKING and your tyres won't thank you for it !!

thanks for the info & tip, Funkyzeit. I think I will head back the same way as I get there (if ever...), given that Mr Sf cannot stand when I try experimenting with different routes :). Need to get a good map, too!
    cheers
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Just did Turners Cross - Passage West - Monkstown - Ringaskiddy -Carrigaline - Donnybrook Hill - Turners Cross. 24 miles...scenic route along the coast...only discovered that passagewest is very close to ringaskiddy today after working there for a year and a half...ooopps

Sign post are something I hardly ever consider. I scout the road first in the car before I drive it and I have checked map details before hand.

Sign posts could be completely wrong and a local would not notice. Your idea of a map is a good one.

PS An Oige leave every Thursay from the Opera House (Emmet Place) They do a variety of spins over 2 - 3 hours. In winter I understand they transfer to a Saturday morning. Thay have a reasonably gentle pace. May be worth looking at.

scaryfairy wrote: »

Once Carrigaline is behind you, the rest of the ride out to Crosshaven is very pretty. The road runs alongside a tidal river as it meanders its way into the harbour proper. No nasty industry to spoil your views. You'll pass a turn for Fountainstown along the way that you can take if you want to get to the sea by the most direct route. Tip: it seems easier to find your way to Crosshaven from Fountainstown/Myrtleville than the other way around. So consider doing that the first time.

But if you ask me, and I suppose you are, the best place close to Cork for some good sea views is Charles Fort and Summer Cove. Head towards Kinsale and about a km before the town there's a crossroads where you take a left followed by a right after another km or so. The signs say either Charles Fort or The Bulman (a pub) depending on which junction. Once you get to the fort itself, which is hard to miss, you'll have lovely views all the way into Kinsale. In the interests of full disclosure I should say that there's a fair amount of elevation change too - but I suppose that's why there are good views!

thanks so much for all this info. it's much appreciated.
    nice Wednesday to you all.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

For the casual cyclist I'm wondering if there are more scenic path/cycleways similar to the great routes like Blackrock-Mahon ring, Rochestown-Passage-Monkstown, Carrigaline-Crosshaven?

• Advertisement

comet wrote: »
    For the casual cyclist I'm wondering if there are more scenic path/cycleways similar to the great routes like Blackrock-Mahon ring, Rochestown-Passage-Monkstown, Carrigaline-Crosshaven?

Those are the only such paths that I'm aware of in the Cork area. It's a bit of a pity they can't connect up the one that finishes in Passage with the one starting in Carrigaline. It should at least be theoretically possible given that both run along the old Cork-Crosshaven railway line. A continuous 25 km "Cork Harbour Way" would be a great resource for locals and tourists alike. All we need is somebody in power with that dangerous combination of vision and budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

cantalach wrote: »
    A continuous 25 km "Cork Harbour Way" would be a great resource for locals and tourists alike. All we need is somebody in power with that dangerous combination of vision and budget.
    Absolutely, fantastic possibilities in the Cork harbour area and beyond. Its a real pity. They might be interested if they could put a toll on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I took a quick spin up to Church Bay ScaryFairy, and it is indeed a dead end - nice view up the top though !!

On a seperate note I went to Passage last week and went up the hill in the village and down Monastery road. Man it is HARD!!!! The first time I ever found myslef wishing I had a triple/compact There were people nearly walking up it as quick :o

ah, I'm sure that's really hard. But I love this area! I usually go up on Monastery Rd from Rochestown, at a snail pace of course, go on the "plateau", then land somehow in Monkstown, by a pub, near the boats, then climb back via the castle, passing the Monkstown golf course, and return on the Monastery Rd again. Very short, but enjoyable workout for a weakling like me! Last time I chose to continue and went down on Castle Farm road. My wrists were hurting for a day from using the breaks so much! Have to learn how to descend properly, I am afraid of turning over and damaging my precious bike :eek:

Advertisement