Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification/Apology.

Options
  • 02-08-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

There's been an awful amount of mis-interpretation regarding my post relating to a certain member of the boards.ie community who passed away last year. True, I posted it in the worst place possible, and for that I am incredibly remorseful and accept that the ban was deserved for sheer insensitivity. I regarded the thread as a commentary thread, forgetting to realize that it was not such a thread but a remembrance one - it was not an intentional effort to blacken an otherwise positive thread and it is incredibly embarrassing for me to have to deal with having done that in the face of so many friends and even family. I feel it's pretty important that I clarify this; I post here enough and I respect the community, even if it appeared otherwise yesterday.

The issue for a lot of people, was not that I posted it in a wholly inappropriate place, but that I was even daring to speak about it - some people seem to believe that you simply can't speak of the dead. Someone actually used 'speak ill of the dead', but that's an unfortunate and totally misleading phrase - nowhere did I attempt to insinuate that the person in question was not the outstanding, general all around friendly character that he was to everyone who knew him. That's the sad underlying message - victims of drugs and substances are not simply faceless individuals of an apparently lower worth that the media and general conditioning would have us believe. They are people like you and me. This whole issue was never about logic as a person, it was never about anyone in particular who takes drugs, or attempting to 'force' a moralistic message - it was simply a sad, and equally jarring warning over the potential dangers of taking up recreational drugs. I bear no ill will towards anyone who takes drugs, in any capacity, I simply believe that the more people are aware of the potential devastation they cause, the better our country and society are for it. There was a complete and utter tendency to regard my comments as personal attacks on the individual in question, which is about as far away from the truth as possible. I only had minor interaction with Logic1, true, only in the most casual of senses, but always found him a good laugh and in particular, we shared a good laugh over the fictional 'Caucasian Boards Beers' two or three years back. I was stunned by his passing as was everyone else, in fact, it actually plagued me for a long period of time, mulling over the tragedy of a such a young, fit man passing before his time. Did the details of his passing alter my opinion of him? Not in the slightest bit. I would even go so far as to say I lost a little sleep over it, and that's the honest truth. It simply made me sad that his life had to end in such an avoidable manner. As someone else said, there were so many other things he could have done with his life, and such an awful turn of events reflects the experiences of many families throughout the country.

Was I personally attacking logic1 in posting the conclusions of his death? Absolutely not, in any capacity. I only hoped that such a sad case that struck a nerve with so many people would present an even greater and further reaching message about the dangers of drugs. Logic was no doubt a great person, and regardless he always will be to those who know him - I would never, ever attempt to change that viewpoint for any reason, but people seem to think that was my intention. It was not. Nothing will change who he was as a person.

When Katy French died, when the young men from Waterford died from ingesting excessive cocaine, boards.ie was rife with wholly inappropriate commentary on both sides of the fence - good versus bad, deserving versus undeserving, and so on - which was generally allowed continue, with some members even going as disgusting far as propagating the law regarding defamation of the death. To say I was disgusted is an understatement, I felt repulsed. Katy French was a human being, but even that fundamental dignity was robbed from her over those initial weeks. True, she may have been in the public eye, but to her family and those that knew her, she was just a daughter and friend, who had to suffer such dreadful abuse by those who never knew her outside of the media circus. That is not the aspect I take - no one deserves to die, no one earns a 'told you so'. They can only provide tragic examples and hope that others will learn from their mistakes, even if it is too late for them. I do not judge someone on their private habits - but I do point and say that where he went wrong, the next potential victim can go right and avoid the same pitfalls. I never intended the thread about logic1 to be dragged into another predictable argument regarding drugs and drugs users ala Katy French, I would have been the first to be sickened by negative comments against him as a person - I feel this is where the highpoint of misreading my intentions surfaced. I felt discussion about it should have been allowed, but now that it has been deemed inappropriate, I accept that.

I hope that goes a little way to clarifying my actual intentions - and my most sincerest apologies to friends and family of logic1.

Thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Oh for the love of god. If you where actually sorry you'd give it a rest and stop trying to vindicate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Could someone siteban this guy t il he gets over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Please stop the attention seeking MI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Attention seeking? I want to apologize, and I have done. There's no hidden agenda - I know your blind hatred of me struggles to continue to insult me but that's all I have and that's all I'll give. Whether or not you accept it is up to you, clearly you haven't, but what more can I do other then try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

You've apologised. End of. Now stop f*cking posting here please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah lads give the guy a break, he's trying to right his wrong. Would be hell of a lot worse if he didn't care about it.

Fair play dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It seems the community finds you to be in the Doghouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Attention seeking? I want to apologize, and I have done. There's no hidden agenda - I know your blind hatred of me struggles to continue to insult me but that's all I have and that's all I'll give. Whether or not you accept it is up to you, clearly you haven't, but what more can I do other then try.

You apologised in the first thread you created, other than an apology the boards community needed neither another thread stating your apology or a clarification of why you posted what you did in that thread, hence creating this thread is attention seeking as it was not required by anyone else but yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Where's all the anger coming from?
    TF posted the wrong thing in the wrong place. It has obviously troubled him greatly and has made a very sincere apology.
    We seem to able to forgive the dead their mistakes, how about trying it with the living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

ya people are too quick to gang up on individuals on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Decent post from OP ,I know a couple of people who have died before 30 myself.

Some people don't like to talk about it and some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'm glad to see an apology, but perhaps a post in Helpdesk would have been better, there's a lot of animosity here in Feedback on the subject.

I think you should leave the apology as is and move along, I can't help but say sorry in some ways for the stick you have and are no doubt about to receive!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hagar speaketh the truth! Leave the guy alone. TF, let it go, you've aologised, good stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well concerning the hypothermia step-mother I myself let slip a couple Yore Ma jokes to the son for a while afterward - force of habit :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm sorry is two words. This is I'm sorry but blah blah blah. TF has made apologies like this before, they're not sincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How do you know they're not sincere?
    They're probably far more well intentioned than constantly keeping an eye on Feedback (and next to no other fora) for opportunities to pounce on people.
    There's been an awful amount of mis-interpretation regarding my post relating to a certain member of the boards.ie community who passed away last year. True, I posted it in the worst place possible, and for that I am incredibly remorseful and accept that the ban was deserved for sheer insensitivity. I regarded the thread as a commentary thread, forgetting to realize that it was not such a thread but a remembrance one - it was not an intentional effort to blacken an otherwise positive thread and it is incredibly embarrassing for me to have to deal with having done that in the face of so many friends and even family. I feel it's pretty important that I clarify this; I post here enough and I respect the community, even if it appeared otherwise yesterday.

The issue for a lot of people, was not that I posted it in a wholly inappropriate place, but that I was even daring to speak about it - some people seem to believe that you simply can't speak of the dead. Someone actually used 'speak ill of the dead', but that's an unfortunate and totally misleading phrase - nowhere did I attempt to insinuate that the person in question was not the outstanding, general all around friendly character that he was to everyone who knew him. That's the sad underlying message - victims of drugs and substances are not simply faceless individuals of an apparently lower worth that the media and general conditioning would have us believe. They are people like you and me. This whole issue was never about logic as a person, it was never about anyone in particular who takes drugs, or attempting to 'force' a moralistic message - it was simply a sad, and equally jarring warning over the potential dangers of taking up recreational drugs. I bear no ill will towards anyone who takes drugs, in any capacity, I simply believe that the more people are aware of the potential devastation they cause, the better our country and society are for it. There was a complete and utter tendency to regard my comments as personal attacks on the individual in question, which is about as far away from the truth as possible. I only had minor interaction with Logic1, true, only in the most casual of senses, but always found him a good laugh and in particular, we shared a good laugh over the fictional 'Caucasian Boards Beers' two or three years back. I was stunned by his passing as was everyone else, in fact, it actually plagued me for a long period of time, mulling over the tragedy of a such a young, fit man passing before his time. Did the details of his passing alter my opinion of him? Not in the slightest bit. I would even go so far as to say I lost a little sleep over it, and that's the honest truth. It simply made me sad that his life had to end in such an avoidable manner. As someone else said, there were so many other things he could have done with his life, and such an awful turn of events reflects the experiences of many families throughout the country.

Was I personally attacking logic1 in posting the conclusions of his death? Absolutely not, in any capacity. I only hoped that such a sad case that struck a nerve with so many people would present an even greater and further reaching message about the dangers of drugs. Logic was no doubt a great person, and regardless he always will be to those who know him - I would never, ever attempt to change that viewpoint for any reason, but people seem to think that was my intention. It was not. Nothing will change who he was as a person.

When Katy French died, when the young men from Waterford died from ingesting excessive cocaine, boards.ie was rife with wholly inappropriate commentary on both sides of the fence - good versus bad, deserving versus undeserving, and so on - which was generally allowed continue, with some members even going as disgusting far as propagating the law regarding defamation of the death. To say I was disgusted is an understatement, I felt repulsed. Katy French was a human being, but even that fundamental dignity was robbed from her over those initial weeks. True, she may have been in the public eye, but to her family and those that knew her, she was just a daughter and friend, who had to suffer such dreadful abuse by those who never knew her outside of the media circus. That is not the aspect I take - no one deserves to die, no one earns a 'told you so'. They can only provide tragic examples and hope that others will learn from their mistakes, even if it is too late for them. I do not judge someone on their private habits - but I do point and say that where he went wrong, the next potential victim can go right and avoid the same pitfalls. I never intended the thread about logic1 to be dragged into another predictable argument regarding drugs and drugs users ala Katy French, I would have been the first to be sickened by negative comments against him as a person - I feel this is where the highpoint of misreading my intentions surfaced. I felt discussion about it should have been allowed, but now that it has been deemed inappropriate, I accept that.

I hope that goes a little way to clarifying my actual intentions - and my most sincerest apologies to friends and family of logic1.

Thank you.
    Fair play TF - that to me looks extremely sincere and heartfelt. What I took from the post in question was simply that you used a platform inappropriately to make a point. But you've realised your mistake and you're obviously extremely sorry.

There's no need for the witch hunt. He clearly feels crap and that's punishment enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Who's hunting what now?

Who cares what you posted a year ago, christ nobody cares what your posting now. Un-needed drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Hagar wrote: »
    TF posted the wrong thing in the wrong place. It has obviously troubled him greatly and has made a very sincere apology.
    We seem to able to forgive the dead their mistakes, how about trying it with the living?
    Whilst i disagree with the OP's actions, He has made an apology, and I think it's in everyone's best interests to accept that - whether sincere or not. There's a lot of sense in what hagar has just said.

A bit of advice I got when two of my two friends died this year;
    You will never and can never get over death like this, you can merely come to terms with it. You will hear stuff and see stuff that will make you sick to the bottom of your stomach, but at least you'll know that you're lucky enough to be still alive to hear it. Hating those people only fills you with insecurity, so you might as well accept it as experience, and move on, learning from the mistakes from others.

i still remember what that counsellor said, word for word. and dammit, she was right.
    She also said that when you see a RIP message, and you also see the dates of that persons date of birth, and the date of death, but the only dates that really matter are the dates in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hagar wrote: »

The anger would disappear if he just shut up about this. The only person still starting threads about this whole incident is him.

Sometimes though, if guilt is gnawing at you, you're driven to doing something like this. Plus, while he may have apologised, he hadn't really clarified things - not a bad idea to set the record straight. I know I'd hate to be thought of as someone who was having a go at a young person who died tragically, which is what people were thinking, and this post counters that. Sure, there'll be people who'll continue to WANT to think he was having a malicious go at Niall, but **** them - most people realise now he wasn't.

But I agree, time to leave it at that, so might I suggest that this thread be locked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I hope this will be an end to it and everyone puts it behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Terrorfirmer/havok/mobileinfantry/whatever you're having your name changed to after this:

Just let it go, and go away before one of the smods makes you go away.
    You're digging deeper into a hole thats harsh on yourself and hurtful to a family.
    Theres no point in it all.
    Just. Let. It. Go.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

There's been an awful amount of mis-interpretation

No there hasn't.

Why don't you find some other high horse to jump on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh for the love of God.
    He did a tactless insensitive and stupid thing and he's now apologised - there's no need for the constant attacks.

TerrorFirmer feels bad for what he's done and just wants to say he's sorry. You'd swear none of ye had never made a mistake before, or posted something you shouldn't.

Boston I'm amazed you haven't been banned from Feedback due the constant barrage of childish insults you've thrown at him.
    Hagar wrote:
    Absolutely spot on.

Now someone PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

This issue is way too sensitive now, and things are gone beyond a joke. Time to lock it up, throw away the key, and move on, however difficult that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Mate,

You've realized the error of the original post and are at least trying to give an apology, but this has already been done in the other Feedback thread, and at this point I think it would be best if you just dropped it (and especially if you didn't keep trotting out the 'I'm trying to save lives' pony). That would be the quickest way for everyone to forget all about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Oh for the love of God.
    He did a tactless insensitive and stupid thing and he's now apologised - there's no need for the constant attacks.

TerrorFirmer feels bad for what he's done and just wants to say he's sorry. You'd swear none of ye had never made a mistake before, or posted something you shouldn't.

Boston I'm amazed you haven't been banned from Feedback due the constant barrage of childish insults you've thrown at him.

Absolutely spot on.

+1

Lock and load baby :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

nevf wrote: »
    This issue is way too sensitive now, and things are gone beyond a joke. Time to lock it up, throw away the key, and move on, however difficult that may be.

Ah dammit. Why did you have to quote me when I messed up the size tags?
    I agree though - this issue should be forgotten about and everyone just move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

They should be deleted full stop. All threads besides the memorial one.

I'm not taking sides but up until these threads started i had no idea who logic1 was, the name was vaguely familiar, i had no dealings with the guy.

Now i know his name,where he lived, his brothers name and what he 'allegedly' died from. I am sure anyone can come on here and do the same.

I dont think this is how his family will want him remembered.

If they choose to tell his story to put a message across that should be their choosing.

• Advertisement

There's been an awful amount of mis-interpretation
    Talliesin wrote: »
    No there hasn't.
    :confused: - Yes there has...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement