Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating DNS to point a domain at another host

Options
  • 02-08-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi, I have a .ie domain name, and we have just purchased a "more suitable" hosting plan for the site to which it currenly points. On the new host I have added the .ie domain successfully via my control panel. That was many hours ago today, and there is still no sign of the site pointing to the new host.

I spoke with a technician on the phone @ our new host, and they told to simply add it and that DNS would update automatically and we should be up and running in no time (this was yesterday as support is closed today, and we didnt' want to make the transition during business hours).

When I run a traceroute to the domain, I can clearly see that it is still going to the old hosting provider's server and not the new one.

What do I need to do in order to get this to transition properly? I have access to both hosts at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

This process can take from 24-72 hours to update globally. Normally the main Irish ISPs update within 24 hours, but there is no guarantee of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Are you talking about the A record for a website, or the authority for the full domain? Have you told your old hosting provider that you're migrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

oeb wrote: »
    This process can take from 24-72 hours to update globally. Normally the main Irish ISPs update within 24 hours, but there is no guarantee of this.

I had one and it took 7 days:confused: once

It can happen. It's rare though. There can be alot of factors that can cause delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It sounds like you haven't updated the nameservers for the domain or asked for them to be updated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

blacknight wrote: »
    It sounds like you haven't updated the nameservers for the domain or asked for them to be updated
    On which hosting account control panel do I do this, the old one or the new one?

I have already removed the domain from the control panel in the old host, and added the domain to the new host. From what I can see all this has done is added a [domain_name] directory to the host where I can dump the website files. I have been trying to access the new host's control panel all morning and it keeps timing out. I can ping the host fine, but perhaps the web server is under load and I can't get through. This is really starting to annoy me because it is absolutely critical that we can access our emails @our_domain during business hours. I find the whole thing a bit ridiculous as I have transitioned other .ie domains in the past and it took a matter or mins, not days.

Any ideas?

Also I have just noticed that not only is my control panel of my new host not reachable, register365.com is also timing out. Is there something up with their servers at the moment. I know a few websites hosted with them and all seem to be available, but their own website along with their hSphere control panel is not available.

You need to get the domain updated via whoever you registered it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

blacknight wrote: »
    You need to get the domain updated via whoever you registered it through.
    Thank you for your help. When I contact the old hosting company (registrar of .ie domain) and ask them to update the DNS records to point to the new host, is it the shared IP of the new host that I need to provide them with, etc?

Basically in your own words what are the steps that one should take to change the DNS records of their company's domain name. What information do they need, who should they contact, and what will they be asking for.

Right now, my understanding is this...
    I contact the old hosting provider
    I give them the Shared IP of the new host
    and that's it!

Is that correct?

ve wrote: »
    Thank you for your help. When I contact the old hosting company (registrar of .ie domain) and ask them to update the DNS records to point to the new host, is it the shared IP of the new host that I need to provide them with, etc?

Basically in your own words what are the steps that one should take to change the DNS records of their company's domain name. What information do they need, who should they contact, and what will they be asking for.

and that's it!

Is that correct?

Typically you get your domain name registrar (Where you registered the domain name day 1). And you get them to update your DNS records to point at your new address. There is normally two records, and they will be along the lines of ns1.yourhostingprovider.com and ns2.yourhostingprovider.com.

Normally you'd ask the registrar to point the domain at the new hosting provider's nameservers which your new provider should have given you
    and that's it!

Is that correct?
    No - see above

For example, if you had the domain somedomain.ie and it was hosted with hostx its dns might be:
    ns.hostx.ie
    ns2.hostx.ie

You have moved your hosting to hostY so the domain needs to point to their nameservers:
    ns.hosty.ie
    ns2.hosty.ie

As it is a .ie domain you need to ensure that the new hosting provider's DNS ia already setup for the domain, as the IEDR's system (and that of a lot of ccTLDs) will check that the dns is valid before allowing a change

You *could* point the domain at the new IP address, but unless the current host is also the registrar and is willing to provide you with DNS services ...
    The other downside to merely pointing the domain at an IP address is that if your site's IP changes at any stage it's going to be awkward for all parties concerned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement