Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difference between PC 5.1 and TV 5.1?

• 02-08-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I've run into a bit of a weird issue with my 5.1 setup and speaker placement.

In the manual for my Onkyo 606 it says the back speakers should be on the sides, but in my audio manager on the PC it says the back speakers should be to the rear. I've looked up about it and quite a few places recommend having the speakers at the rear when on the PC, and that for 7.1 you then add 2 speakers to the sides.

So which is it? Do I place them to the side or behind? Also, in my Audio manager I don't even have the option of selecting side speakers, the default setup for 5.1 is looking for the rear speakers.

Anyone else had this issue connecting a PC up to surround sound?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'd put them to the sides of your seating position - if you can't locate them there, then place them behind. It's not really critical.

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

5.1 speakers at the sides and if you want 7.1then add an extra 2 as rears - thats my take on it. I have a Onkyo 605 hooked up to a PC too, so any questions feel free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well I play games through my HTPC also so its kind of important having the speakers positioned correctly. Hearing a shot coming from behind is different to hearing a shot coming to my left or right. My PC setup is going to think my side speakers are actually positioned behind me.

It's just odd that there's a discrepancy in what defines a 5.1 speaker setup. My previous Logitech 5.1 setup said to place the speakers behind me, and every article I've read online about 5.1 setups for PC's says to put the speakers behind you. Yet when I look up about Home Cinema set ups they always recommend having them to the side and not behind.

MAJJ, how do you have your PC hooked up to the Onkyo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For 5.1 I believe they should be to the side, or very slightly behind. The PC set up image is probably assuming that you will be sitting at a desk and therefore close to the line of the front speakers, you would need to have some distance between the front speaker line and the rear speaker line to make out a good seperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

L31mr0d, I simply use a single cable, the PC has a number of outputs and I use SPDIF optical out directly to the AMP. In the AMP I have this assigned to the GAME/TV option. The PC O/S is Vista and sound is from onboard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement