Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attendance during Orientation Week

Options
  • 02-08-2008 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Ok, so hopefully I shall be starting in UCD this September and Ive just been reading about Orientation Week on the website. Im just wondering if it would be a major problem to not attend some of the scheduled events for each programme Im talking about these Welcome meetings and inductions etc. here. My problem is that I'm attending a grad on the 3rd Sep but am supposed to be in UCD at 9am the next morning according to the orientation timetable for the course I hope to get.
    Since I live in Sligo, I really don't think Im going to be able to go to the grad AND be in Dublin at 9am the next morning...
    I'll be there as soon as possible but do you really think it'll be a big problem for me to miss 2 or 3 of these orientation things??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 HoldOnTight

Its not really that importnat to attend. My friend was ill for the entire week of orientation last year and she got on grand. Other than having to hastily pick up her laptop during first week of term and getting a 60 minute laptop tutorial crammed into 5 minutes there were no probs. The welcome meeting isnt really important at all....just a futile attempt by the university to try and appear gracious and welcoming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hey!

Nah, it's not that important at all, don't worry. You won't be missing much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Ahahahaha.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

aw your going to miss DJ Dave and the boom box tent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Its a social thing, nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yep, nothing to worry about at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its not really that social.Unless you are already in UCD ... which you arn't . Otherwise you are one of 6000 people being herded around .... Not my idea of a social gathering

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aw bless his little cotton socks, he's getting worried about attendance in 1st year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Aw bless his little cotton socks, he's getting worried about attendance in 1st year.

I'm of the female variety :P

And thanks all for the replys! I figured that was probably the case. I can enjoy the grad now without having to leave early :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Grimes wrote: »
    Its not really that social.Unless you are already in UCD ... which you arn't . Otherwise you are one of 6000 people being herded around .... Not my idea of a social gathering
    I knew nobody and had a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Orientation Schedule cracked me up. "This event requires compulsory attendance." Eh, how? They don't even take the names of people attending:pac:

Show the link - they definitely don't take attendance at any of those things, and even if they do nothing is going to be done with the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Red Alert wrote: »
    Show the link - they definitely don't take attendance at any of those things, and even if they do nothing is going to be done with the list.

Look at my post sunshine. I said that they don't take attendance, so you agree with me. But when they send you out your UCD package, there are cards that say "so and so event" and that this event is "compulsory", when it's actually not, it's laughable.

Ah right, well take it from me there'll be no hassle!

Advertisement