Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sutherland School of Law at UCD

Options
  • 02-08-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Taken from the UCD site:
    The Minister for Education and Science, Mr Batt O’Keeffe TD has approved the development of a new School of Law at UCD. The planning and design of the new building, to be known as the UCD Sutherland School of Law, will begin shortly. The purpose built facility, measuring approximately 5,133 square metres, will cater for 1,500 students and staff, and is expected to be completed in 2011.

The new UCD Sutherland School of Law will be part funded under the National Development Plan 2007 – 2013, a major gift from Peter Sutherland SC, resources from the university and other private funding.

The new facility will include an innovative purpose built Clinical Legal Education Centre and moot court (where students learn how to present cases in a courtroom setting). This will benefit students, academics and the legal professions, and others associated with the law in practice such as mediators, arbitrators, expert witnesses (e.g. medical, forensic, and economic) and tribunals.

The UCD Sutherland School of Law will strengthen Ireland's growing reputation internationally as a location for the study and research of law. It will also enhance the number of highly skilled graduates in a sector that will play an important role in meeting Ireland's knowledge economy objectives.

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2008/07JUL08/310708_sutherland.html

I don't do law, so I'm not much up to scratch on the need for a new school of law, but what I do want to ask about in this thread is private funding and names like "Sutherland School of Law", and how other people at UCD feel about it.

Personally, I'm against it. I think it's a bit egotistical to buy a name. It's a little different with something like the O'Reilly hall because it's a general use building, rather than academic. I know Peter Sutherland is very successful, and should they base their decision to name the school after him that, fair enough, but the name should be based on merit alone, rather than 'large gifts'. I think the fact he can pay for his name to be put on the school sents out the wrong signal. I thought the point of a gift was that you didn't get something in return?

I always found it surprising that there was the 'Bank of Ireland' lecture theatre (among others) in the Quinn building. It reminds me of the Simpsons where they have the class in the future sponsored by Pepsi.

What do other UCD people think?

(Have I been spending too much time in the Arts building?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

To be honest, if its just his name on it and not interfering with the way its run etc, I think its grand.

In times of cutbacks and stalling on large capital projects, injections of capital from exterior sources in order to maintain development is fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hey, if the guy is willing to pay for the building, and all he wants is his name on it, then free building! It;s not like anyone's gonna call it that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Sutherland School of Law doesn't sound that bad. I don't think I'd like the 'McDonalds School of Philosophy' though :pac:, maybe the 'Burger King School of Economics'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

mloc wrote: »
    To be honest, if its just his name on it and not interfering with the way its run etc, I think its grand.

In times of cutbacks and stalling on large capital projects, injections of capital from exterior sources in order to maintain development is fine by me.

True. I suppose I just find it weird more than anything else. I mean, if I was to fund a building I wouldn't be my name on it. It'd be more fun to call the the Homer Simpson School of Law, or something.

Tom65 wrote: »
    True. I suppose I just find it weird more than anything else. I mean, if I was to fund a building I wouldn't be my name on it. It'd be more fun to call the the Homer Simpson School of Law, or something.

Lionel Hutz >> Homer Simpson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Perhaps a Robert Mugabe School of Economics?
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad School of Civil Liberty Studies?
    Amy Winehouse Institute of Addiction Studies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Myth wrote: »
    Lionel Hutz >> Homer Simpson.

Good point.

Think if we have a whip around we could get enough money to get this going? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Interesting. Well it will certainly be controversial. I've just finished a postgrad at the London School of Economics and Mr. Sutherland's role there was very very controversial! Lots of protests, campaigns and general outrage!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6299579.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Tom65 wrote: »
    I always found it surprising that there was the 'Bank of Ireland' lecture theatre (among others) in the Quinn building.
    Well they already have the Smurfit School of Business, and as you said, the Quinn School of Business. Does it really matter that his name goes on it if it provides extra educational resources for students, especially in a time when cutbacks are being made left right and centre?

I mean, worst case scenario: he's an egotistical billionaire who has no interest in education and just wants to see his name around the place. By doing so, he encourages other egotistical billionaires to pony up some cash see their names around the place. Result: more money put into education, less money required from students, their families, and the taxpayer.

Advertisement