Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we bring back the Galway Air Show in 2009?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I could say the same thing for the Amusments at Salthill - Should we get rid of those too? Infact, aren't a LOT of things unnecessary noise pollution? Like motorbikes - lets get rid of those too yeah!

Not to mention GAA games in Pearse stadium with the hoards of people often drunk and disorderly causing trouble and traffic chaos! Lets get rid of that too! And hey, while we're at it lets cancel the Galway races! Its a whole week long of disruption! All those helicopters causing noise pollution, visual pollution, general pollution and god knows what else! :rolleyes:

Get over it protesters, once a year event that, as said before, is enjoyed by young and old alike, showcasing pilots' fantastic skills and mans great engineering of these aircraft, it gets international attention and is regarded as one of the greatest air shows around. It boosts the economy, boosts salthill's reputation as a tourist area etc. etc.

BRING BACK THE AIRSHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hang on a second, are we back to blaming the cancellation solely on GAAW and their ilk?

I was under the impression that there simply wasn't a financing plan to pay for the insurance hikes and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Robbo wrote: »
    Hang on a second, are we back to blaming the cancellation solely on GAAW and their ilk?

I was under the impression that there simply wasn't a financing plan to pay for the insurance hikes and so forth.

Re read the posts and you will see they just want the Airshow back, nothing to do with the GAAW, but people are giving their views on the protestors which they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Steyr wrote: »
    Thanks for all your positive comments about us and what we bring to Salthill, really appreciated. Well see what we can do for 2009.:)

Sounds good.Best of luck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'm not a hippie or anti-anything.

It's just naff standing around on Salthill prom, gawping at the big metal birds in the sky.

Leave the airshow in the Cold War-era time capsule it belongs in

then **** off outta galway for the day or weekend or however long it goes on for. you don't even have to leave the county. unless someone actually forces you to watch it by tying you down then ok you can complain. untill that happens STFU

i am an anti war guy but i love the air show :) i used to live in/around Salthill and loved the air show :) most of the anti people here have no real arguements and are trying to be all high and mighty and end up looking like twats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Bring it back and make it even bigger!! I was out in Salthill along the prom on Sunday 22nd June and the place was dead! 12 months earlier there was 80.000 people there despite the horrendous weather and the hotels and guesthouses were full. A great free day, brings in 100's of thounsands of Euro into the area. Bring it back and make it even bigger and to hell with the kill joy minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hate the airshow, just like I hate the races. But you can't fault it for bringing the people to the city and to Salthill, just like the races.

Still, I hate it.

mars bar
    blue_star_2.gif

Animaniacs_-_Yakko.gif

Tuam? Sure it hardly imposes on ye that much does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

mars bar wrote: »
    I hate the airshow, just like I hate the races. But you can't fault it for bringing the people to the city and to Salthill, just like the races.

Still, I hate it.

_42064634_kevin2bbc203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I'd love to see it back. It's given some great performances throughout the years from the Eurofighter, the two A-10's, Thunderbirds right up to the Aer Arann plane banking very gently over the bay...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Meh. Didn't vote, couldn't give a toss either way. Long as my tax money isn't spent on supporting it I don't give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zzippy wrote: »
    Meh. Didn't vote, couldn't give a toss either way. Long as my tax money isn't spent on supporting it I don't give a ****

Don't forget that lots of taxpayers money is used to stock our rivers and lakes with salmon ;) I'm sure there's plenty of people who think that's a waste, but it provides a hobby/lifestyle/job for a lot of people.... just like the Airshow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My take on it is. There are 3 main groups of people in Galway: Yuppies, Crusties and Others. Crusties have their Arts festival, Yuppies have their races and the others use to have the Air show which was also often attended by the Yuppies too but still give us back our Airshow! I never got to go because I worked weekends, now I don't and I can't go because its not on!? COOMMMMEEEEE ONNNN!

Don't forget that lots of taxpayers money is used to stock our rivers and lakes with salmon ;) I'm sure there's plenty of people who think that's a waste, but it provides a hobby/lifestyle/job for a lot of people.... just like the Airshow!

Not any more. Hatcheries are no longer regarded as a good method of maximising fish stocks. Although salmon fishing does provide quite a few jobs in the accommodation/fishing guide/tackle shop/etc economy. I don't see that the air show provides a huge boost in terms of job numbers.
    Sustaining salmon stocks, on the other hand, is also a legal requirement on the government under EU law, whereas providing entertainment isn't ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My take on it is. There are 3 main groups of people in Galway: Yuppies, Crusties and Others. Crusties have their Arts festival, Yuppies have their races and the others use to have the Air show which was also often attended by the Yuppies too but still give us back our Airshow! I never got to go because I worked weekends, now I don't and I can't go because its not on!? COOMMMMEEEEE ONNNN!

Yuppies, Crusties and others :confused: That's a great view of the city :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mars bar
    blue_star_2.gif

Animaniacs_-_Yakko.gif

Tuam? Sure it hardly imposes on ye that much does it?

I think it might be because it nearly always fell around my bday when I was younger and couldn't head into galway coz it was just too busy. You know how excited you'd get when your bday came around...ridiculous, I know.

And during race week, well the traffic does be looney in Tuam!
    And for some reason or other, you just have to go into Galway to do something in race week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

There's a lot of people who don't like the airshow clogging up galway, esp salthill. What about all the crusties sitting on shopstreet making/selling crusty armbands and stuff!

Maybe have the airshow in salthill and run a free shuttle-bus service out to a bongo workshop in a bog in connemara on the same day? :p

;)

bongoti1.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't see that the air show provides a huge boost in terms of job numbers.

:confused:

Of course it doesnt it's an Airshow its not a Job. It's a labour of love of Aviation and everything that goes with it done by a voluntary commitee who get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

Whenever i visit Galway it was for the Atrs Festival and the Salthill Airshow yet i was always dumbfounded as to how much the Atrs festival got thrown at them yet you still had to PAY to go to see what was on:confused: Salthill got a pittance yet pulled of some unbelieveable atcs down through the years, il never forget seeing F14 Tomcats, amazing brought Top Gun right back into my head, Salthill is one of the damn best shows i have ever been to and iv'e been to LOTS now i have to go to the UK to see an Airshow, thats a raw deal.

Its a great day out. I hope it returns.

:confused:

Of course it doesnt it's an Airshow its not a Job. It's a labour of love of Aviation and everything that goes with it done by a voluntary commitee who get nothing.

I was referring to a post where John said:
    Don't forget that lots of taxpayers money is used to stock our rivers and lakes with salmon I'm sure there's plenty of people who think that's a waste, but it provides a hobby/lifestyle/job for a lot of people.... just like the Airshow!

I also refer to the previous thread on this where you seemed to claim that Salthill would be dead without the airshow, thereby implying that it was vital to the local economy i.e. for jobs.
    Steyr wrote:
    GAAW the effect you have had on the Airshow and now the local economy is sickening your entitled to your views but you went too far Airshows happen everywhere Salthill will now return to a Ghost Town, You make me sick.
    Steyr wrote:
    Bottom line guys its Bad for Salthill and Galway, there is nothing here now to attract tourists. Simple as that.
    Steyr wrote:
    What have you in Salthill now???Oh ya the 5's, a huge crowd puller...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sorry I should have rephrased that. What I meant by 'jobs' was it brings business to Salthill. Yes, it's only for 1 day, but the place is packed meaning that the amusments/pubs/restaurants etc. do be pretty busy meaning that they have have extra staff on etc.

The Airshow DOES bring money to Salthill and also helps charities etc... The RNLI always raise a few quid going around with buckets as do various other charities

Apart from that it's just a fun day out IMHO. Many people see the Races as a fun day out too. Personally, I don't, but rather than protest and say DON'T BRING BACK THE RACES I simply vote with my feet and don't attend - it's not rocket science :confused:

And as for people claiming they can't escape it (I'm not accusing anyone of saying it, but i'm sure there are people with that opinion) don't make me laugh. Galway is a big place, if you don't like it, p1ss off for the day. Many people get out of Galway for the Races, quite simple. Why not do the same for the Airshow?

I know I keep referring to the Races, i've no problem with the Races i'm just using them as an example

And I have to agree with Steyr 'Salthill is like a Ghost Town' - Compared to a few years ago, it IS like a Ghost town. I know this because i'm from the Salthill area and spend/spent a LOT of time there. I can see how it's getting quieter and quieter every year :( Such a pitty because I love the place and would love to see more people in the area.

I find teh Airshow also brings some Marine life to Galway Bay. I know people who used to sail into the Bay for the weekend etc. to watch the airshow from the sea. Then the Navy etc. etc. would be out and Coastguard doing demonstrations/exercises. I wonder is the Navy just another big waste of resources too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

They'll be having Volve Ocean Race Events in the bay next Summer.... they should team up the airshow with one of those in May!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The Airshow was very popular. On two occasions I attended in recent years there were huge crowds. It should be brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The air show maybe only one day, but there is a practise day on the Saturday, occasionally on Friday and the hotels and guesthouses are usually fully booked for the weekend, not for just one day. That means that the people that are staying in the hotels and guesthouses have to eat and drink, and that means that the bars and resturaunts all benefit along with places like the aquarium, Perks fun fair, Leasureland, etc. etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I would like it back but ONLY if they guarantee an SU27 or a derivative thereof , otherwise feck off.

Yes, down with fly-by-wire.
    More focus on aerobatics and 'interesting' civil aviation rather than NATO military hardware please.
    What about local talent?
    Kit-jet builders, microlites, gyrocopters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Robbo wrote:

Re read the posts and you will see they just want the Airshow back, nothing to do with the GAAW, but people are giving their views on the protestors which they are entitled to.
    ...and Robbo is making a distinction between attributing blame and talking sense.
    These posters are also entitled (oblidged?) to be corrected when their opinions are based on bullsht and hearsay.

Step down the defence Steyr, put your military industrial hard-on to bed for a moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Definitely bring it back, no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I find teh Airshow also brings some Marine life to Galway Bay. I know people who used to sail into the Bay for the weekend etc. to watch the airshow from the sea. Then the Navy etc. etc. would be out and Coastguard doing demonstrations/exercises. I wonder is the Navy just another big waste of resources too??

You may be on to something. I was living in San Francisco for a number of years - a far more left, reactionary city than Galway could ever hope to be - and they have the US Navy Blue Angel planes doing an airshow there every year despite numerous attempts to stop it.

I think it was because it was part of the 'fleet week' when all the navy ships came to shore for a week. And all those sailors were like Christmas for all the strip joints, and all the gay men, of SF. Two groups you don't want to mess with there ;)

Sadly, given that Galway has a sh*te strip club and can't sustain a gay club, you might be out of luck.

I miss this...

0113_red-arrows3.jpg

0112_red-arrows2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

What are ye all on about, its one day of the year for F*** sake!
    GAAW, ye can protest out in Salthill all the other 364 days of the year for all I care, You are entitled to your views, but so are we. It is one day where people ca gather in unison to share the love of aviation(yes, I said aviation, not war!;))

And for those of you saying its not entirely their fault, no, it isn't, but they did work to stop the council funding it, and hey look, they stopped funding it and then it stopped.

Whats the problem? You don't like it? then leave the Salthill area for the day and stop making bloody problems where there are none.

BRING IT BACK!
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement