Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we bring back the Galway Air Show in 2009?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

po0k wrote: »
    Yes, down with fly-by-wire.
    More focus on aerobatics and 'interesting' civil aviation rather than NATO military hardware please.
    What about local talent?
    Kit-jet builders, microlites, gyrocopters etc.

Not sure exactly what you're on about here. Aerobatics feature every year and, incidently, for a number of years featured arguably the best aerobatics team in the world, the Red Arrows. Last year the USAF Thunderbirds performed, in very demanding conditions. What about the Blades, Team Guinot (formally Utterly Butterly) Eddie Goggins, Jimmy Griffin and Dave McCoy, the last two also being local to answer another of your questions. Also local, Aer Arann. Kit-Jet Builders?, don't know of any!. And finally as you agree with Sponge Bob, why would you prefer a SU-27 Flanker, a very leathal Russian fighter rather than NATO military hardware? As for microlites, gyrocopters .................. no comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Im thinking the idea of an A380 over Salthill would be great. Its performance at Farnborough this year was phenomenal. Would appease the war crowd too :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faaE5t_tc-k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 29NR01

I have to say it was the best organized outdoor event, in Ireland. A fantastic weekend, that I enjoyed on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Gotta say the airshow was great entertainment last time I saw it but the crusties have a point ya know. Its basically a propoganda machine for the US military (you don't think they donate all that time and equipment out of the goodness of their heart do you?).

Then again you could say the same about any major hollywood movie with any sort of military equipment in it. So I vote "meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Would you like a helicopter door on the head with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Sherifu wrote: »
    Would you like a helicopter door on the head with that?

Only if the door lands on the heads of the protesting GAAW twats.

cornbb wrote: »
    Gotta say the airshow was great entertainment last time I saw it but the crusties have a point ya know. Its basically a propoganda machine for the US military (you don't think they donate all that time and equipment out of the goodness of their heart do you?).

Then again you could say the same about any major hollywood movie with any sort of military equipment in it. So I vote "meh".

How can you say that it's basically a propoganda machine for the US Military when only 3 acts out of 18 were US in the 2007 show? And as far as them "donating" the aircraft, they were bought here at quite considerable expense by the organising committee. There were 4 acts from the Air Corps which probably was more of a case of donating time and equipment, would you say that was a propoganda machine for the Irish military? Bring the show back, I say, so both you and I can enjoy a decent weekend in what has become the ghost town called Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

vulcan57 wrote: »
    How can you say that it's basically a propoganda machine for the US Military when only 3 acts out of 18 were US in the 2007 show? And as far as them "donating" the aircraft, they were bought here at quite considerable expense by the organising committee. There were 4 acts from the Air Corps which probably was more of a case of donating time and equipment, would you say that was a propoganda machine for the Irish military? Bring the show back, I say, so both you and I can enjoy a decent weekend in what has become the ghost town called Salthill.

Well I accept that there's a large civilian element to the show, and I'd have no problem with Irish Air Corps demonstrations. They do plenty of good lifesaving work. But if the USAF are charging for their time and equipment does that mean that Galway City Council money was going into the pockets of the US Military? I mean I accept that the organisers put in a lot of personal time and passion into organising this, so fair play for that, but surely even airshow supporters can acknowledge that there's something wrong with Irish money going to fund US Military activities? I acknowledge that its a great show but I think people should consider the ethics of the whole thing.

As for Salthill being a ghost town I'd strongly disagree, there are always thousands of people around no matter what the weather, the prom is always packed with walkers, coffee shops are full, and there are still obviously plenty of bars, hotels and restaurants doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well I accept that there's a large civilian element to the show, and I'd have no problem with Irish Air Corps demonstrations. They do plenty of good lifesaving work. But if the USAF are charging for their time and equipment does that mean that Galway City Council money was going into the pockets of the US Military? I mean I accept that the organisers put in a lot of personal time and passion into organising this, so fair play for that, but surely even airshow supporters can acknowledge that there's something wrong with Irish money going to fund US Military activities? I acknowledge that its a great show but I think people should consider the ethics of the whole thing.
    How many millions are the Americans spending on their war machine? Do you honestly think that Galway could finance even one bomb? At most their covering the cost of the jets for the day (which I very much doubt they are considering the costs involved). I don't understand how it's propaganda it's not like their trying to convince us that it's better to be invaded by the cooler American military.

At most the Americans are probably doing it because they like Ireland. I don't think we could possibly come close to covering their costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Sniper is the guy to ask about this stuff, im sure hel be along soon.

irrc galway cc have never given the organisers any money towards the acts, anyway the USAF wouldnt need our money anyways!

I hope to see this back but i doubt it will be this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The US never charge for aircraft attending air shows, the only aircraft they charge for are the "Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels" I got that info from one of the US Thunderbirds on the ground at the 2007 Air Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

As for Salthill being a ghost town I'd strongly disagree, there are always thousands of people around no matter what the weather, the prom is always packed with walkers, coffee shops are full, and there are still obviously plenty of bars, hotels and restaurants doing business.

Your ok with the irish air corps flying around but not the yanks? You dont think the yanks do any life saving work? The main reason the yanks would be asked to demonstrate at the air show is because they have jets that we dont have. If it was an irish only air corp show then tbh no one would go.

Its a fun day out, with cool fighter jets flying around the sky. After Top Gun who couldnt like fighter jets?

You strongly disagree on salthill being a ghost town? Open your eyes......salthill is dead, the last few summers have been crap, mainly because of the weather, Salthill was once the place to go in Galway, it was a place to go for holiday makers (especially the people who couldnt afford to go abroad) but now its dead and its not gonna get better anytime soon, especially when there is a recession happening worldwide.

Im sick of these people who would protest and have bad things to say about the airshow, its an AIRSHOW!! not target practice for the usaf and not a stop off point to raise some cash for a few extra bombs in afghanistan. These people need to relax, bloody goin through life whinging and complaining about everything and anything they get the chance to, if they dont like it then dont go to it, dont ruin it for everyone else.

Well I accept that there's a large civilian element to the show, and I'd have no problem with Irish Air Corps demonstrations. They do plenty of good lifesaving work.

And the yanks don't? Look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055438601&highlight=US+Rescue+off+west+coast

One of the longest range rescues in recent years!

But if the USAF are charging for their time and equipment does that mean that Galway City Council money was going into the pockets of the US Military?

Storm 10 has pointed out that they don't charge, and I will stand corrected on that matter, but I doubt if they sleep in tents or pay for their own transport while here. And I would think that would be the case for all participents and not just for the US apart from the couple of local acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

vulcan57 wrote: »
    And the yanks don't? Look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055438601&highlight=US+Rescue+off+west+coast

One of the longest range rescues in recent years!

Storm 10 has pointed out that they don't charge, and I will stand corrected on that matter, but I doubt if they sleep in tents or pay for their own transport while here. And I would think that would be the case for all participents and not just for the US apart from the couple of local acts.

I was only talking about display aircraft that they dont charge for I am sure the organisers look after their sleeping arrangements, either way can you in your wildest dreams guess how much it must cost to bring F15s from the UK to Salthill or any aircraft. Does anyone remember the B1B that flew across the Atlantic done three passes at Salthill and went straight back home again to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

Its basically a propoganda machine for the US military (you don't think they donate all that time and equipment out of the goodness of their heart do you?).

Hi there, from what i know and have seen at different Airshows and from other Aviation forums and programmes on TV ( Discovery Wings to mention just one like Airshow World ) Airshows will only go ahead when they are Organised, now in order to do this the Organisers send out Invitations for Participation at their Aishow so i feel i must correct you on this, it's the same with the biggest show in the world which is RIAT ( Royal International Air Tattoo ).

The Air Tattoo takes place at RAF Fairford in the UK and the Organisers no matter how big or small at any show all follow the same routine and the first one is to send out the Invitations to Home Participants and Foreign Airforces/display teams etc but through that line of Invitation those letters are sent to whoever is incharge of sending what where ( Attache's etc ), so ultimately the decision is not with an Airshow Organsier its with whoever is in charge of sending what where from whatever Nation your in.

Nothing is hidden or seen as propaganda its an Airshow and they take place Worldwide, now for you to say its propaganda is really not on to be completely honest, if thats a display of propoganda for the US then im sure when our Irish guys go to Belgium or Holland or the UK then this is propoganda for the Irish Military and surely that means that anytime soon i would be capable of seeing lots of Belgians or Dutch running right for Ireland to fly our PC9M's or AW139's when they can just go fly their F-16's or Apache's instead.

Bottom line it's an Airshow, try not to look to hard into it as you will find nothing.:)

(you don't think they donate all that time and equipment out of the goodness of their heart do you?).

On that note the RAF Red Arrows are not a US "tool" they are Ambassadors for the RAF and the UK and they perform flypasts in the UK if you ask nicely they will fit you in if its on their way which is on their website, thats a nice thing to do and the money raised from them at Airshows goes to causes like Comic Relief and Cancer groups in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ...Does anyone remember the B1B that flew across the Atlantic done three passes at Salthill and went straight back home again to the US.

That B-1B Lancer was on its way home to it's base the day of the air show. It diverted to the air show to do the 3 or so passes it did and then continued on home. It didn't fly all they way over the Atlantic to do the air show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I have to agree with another poster that the show brings well deserved money to the area which after all isn't a bad thing, is it??

I cant remember the actual reason given for the show not being held last year or whether the door falling off incident was to blame. But then look at at the news recently with another door falling off so the show organisers cant be held responsible for that.

Anyway, I miss being able to get stuff like this :cool:

624588478_26e7e628ae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I feel kinda bad now- I was of the opinion that it wwas a bit of a wasteful ar display. Costly toward the enviornment and has nobody thought of the birds!?! (feathered kind)
    The idea of an orgainised day out for all is super. But these when not drown by alcohol are few and far between -as this is Ireland.

On the other hand obviously brings lots of joy to people and was a great family day out when we were young!

Perhaps if there were provisions made for enviornment or something inplace to counter act (see what did there?) the effects.....

Then maybe could again support it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

That B-1B Lancer was on its way home to it's base the day of the air show. It diverted to the air show to do the 3 or so passes it did and then continued on home. It didn't fly all they way over the Atlantic to do the air show.

She flew from Ellsworth AFB direct to Portugal, refuelled and headed to Salthill, did 2 passes 1 from west to east then from east to west and recovered to Ellsworth AFB.

Steyr wrote: »
    She flew from Ellsworth AFB direct to Portugal, refuelled and headed to Salthill, did 2 passes 1 from west to east then from east to west and recovered to Ellsworth AFB.

Oh right, I was under the impression that it was a scheduled flight home for the bird and the organisers were able to get it diverted to Salthill (on provision that it was running on schedule). My source was close to the organising committee but they must have still given me false info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Oh right, I was under the impression that it was a scheduled flight home for the bird and the organisers were able to get it diverted to Salthill (on provision that it was running on schedule). My source was close to the organising committee but they must have still given me false info.

Not as close as I am.;)

Steyr wrote: »
    Not as close as I am.;)

It appears so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

anyone against the airshow should have their sandal wearing, lentil eating asses brought up in a plane themselves at the show, flown around a bit and then kicked out without a parachute! all to the applauds of the watching crowd

paulhannon wrote: »
    anyone against the airshow should have their sandal wearing, lentil eating asses brought up in a plane themselves at the show, flown around a bit and then kicked out without a parachute! all to the applauds of the watching crowd

Sounds Class!! :D

A bit Hippy- critical though - don'tcha think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Perhaps if there were provisions made for enviornment or something inplace to counter act (see what did there?) the effects.....

????????????
    There is more pollution caused by cars on the headford road during rush hour than the whole air show. What do you want them to do? stick some kind of filter to the back of the plane?
    paulhannon wrote:

hahaha, the funniest part about that is everyone is thinking the same thing but they just dont want to admit it.

Fracture wrote: »
    There is more pollution caused by cars on the headford road during rush hour than the whole air show. What do you want them to do? stick some kind of filter to the back of the plane?quote]

Air pollution has far more of an impact than cars - I dont know the facts to be honest but by the sounds of things nordo you...

FAO orgainisers prehaps if they co hosted a promotional alternitive energy or donated x amounts of prceeds to local enviornmental sustainable causes/research. Might take the edge off and encourage an additional audience that would normally stay clear!

Might be more practical then the filter at the back of a plane :eek:

pseudonym1 wrote: »

Air pollution has far more of an impact than cars - I dont know the facts to be honest but by the sounds of things nordo you...

This published in November last year:

To drive or to fly? That is the question. Researchers at the Center for International Climate and Environmental Research in Oslo have predicted that pollution from cars will be the chief global warming agent for the next 100 years. So the green answer is to fly.

The study carried out by CICERO monitored known pollutants in different transport sectors (air, ground, rail, and shipping), and how the global emissions in the year 2000 affects current global temperature. The good news is that pollution from aviation is rather short lived, and not directly linked to long term global warming. According to researcher Jan Fuglestvedt, “air transport has several strong, but short lasting, effects on global temperature.

So maybe that disproves your theory.

Hey am not completely against the air show!

I am shocked that the Airshow will have less of an impact than people driving their cars. So thanks for that.... If individuals choose to drive - not much one can do and it may actually be necessary. If an air show is on the cards well then surely it is not deemed as necessary!

My piont was that if it is detracting from the enviornment they should give something back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Screw the hippies, I want to do that. Cept I get a parachute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everyone that are against the airshow is a hippie?
    Does that make everyone for the airshow a fascist?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement