Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we bring back the Galway Air Show in 2009?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

paulhannon wrote: »
    anyone against the airshow should have their sandal wearing, lentil eating asses brought up in a plane themselves at the show, flown around a bit and then kicked out without a parachute! all to the applauds of the watching crowd

on skimming your post though you said with! Which had me thinking...
    My bad - cant read!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

biko wrote: »
    Everyone that are against the airshow is a hippie?

Yes
    biko wrote: »
    Does that make everyone for the airshow a fascist?

No

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Bring it back. Its one day a year. and its free. Comon ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Air pollution has far more of an impact than cars - I dont know the facts to be honest but by the sounds of things nordo you...
    No need to be cheeky.

Air pollutes itself? Even more so than car pollution in the air? (:P messing)

How do you know? If you don't know the facts then how would you know if i am wrong? :P
    After all its all pollution, where do you think the fumes off cars go? Into the ground? I'm pretty sure when the fumes come out of cars they go into the air :P
    I wasn't basing what i said on facts, it was a point i was making. Maybe if you used your brain you would have seen that.

Whats a nordo?
    My bad - cant read!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

04KY wrote: »
    No
    You're welcome.
    Then perhaps, just perhaps, not everyone against the display of weapons of war are hippies? Now, I don't mean the planes only but also the display of tanks and cannons?

I'm actually for the airshow in that it attracts business to the area and often is a great day out but I do understand why people would be against it too.

• Advertisement

Fracture wrote: »
    No need to be cheeky.

Air pollutes itself? Even more so than car pollution in the air? (:P messing)

How do you know? If you don't know the facts then how would you know if i am wrong? :P
    After all its all pollution, where do you think the fumes off cars go? Into the ground? I'm pretty sure when the fumes come out of cars they go into the air :P
    I wasn't basing what i said on facts, it was a point i was making. Maybe if you used your brain you would have seen that.

Whats a nordo?

Congrats you = ignore list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Congrats you = ignore list :D

Oh no.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

With the local elections coming up, can we get the names of the candidates that apposed the air show so we don't vote for them. The ones that I know of are, firstly, the Connelly sister's who are very strong supporters of GAAW, if not signed up members, Niall Ó Brolcháin and Crowe.

Can we put a pro and anti air show coucillors together.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And that's your sole criteria for voting? A single issue? This is how people get in because "they'll fix the potholes", how 3rd generation politicians are voted in because of what their long deceased grandfather did during the Civil War, how people claim Dail seats on a ticket of preserving Weil's Disease facilities in a cowshed in Drumshanbo.

We have one of the more sophisticated voting systems and yet the least sophisticated voters.

I want to see the airshow back and candidates should be lobbied on this matter. For the love of all that is sane, if you make it your sole voting motivation you don't deserve a ballot card.

Robbo wrote: »
    And that's your sole criteria for voting? A single issue? This is how people get in because "they'll fix the potholes", how 3rd generation politicians are voted in because of what their long deceased grandfather did during the Civil War, how people claim Dail seats on a ticket of preserving Weil's Disease facilities in a cowshed in Drumshanbo.

We have one of the more sophisticated voting systems and yet the least sophisticated voters.

I want to see the airshow back and candidates should be lobbied on this matter. For the love of all that is sane, if you make it your sole voting motivation you don't deserve a ballot card.

No its not the only issue that I would base my vote on, it would certainly be up there on one of the top steps. Housing is another that I would put up there, along with anti social behaviour. At least if I know who is for or against then, even if they do fit the criteria of the other issues, I can have a good go at them!

I am entitled to vote and deserve a ballot card as much as the next, no matter who I vote for or why, thats democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Just a thought-would the G.A.A.W not think its a good thing that at least for a few days of the year the planes are used to entertain and bring a community a bit closer together?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

JustMary wrote: »
    Total waste of scarce fossil fuels, and unnecessary noise pollution for Salthill residents who have no choice but to "attend".

Leave it out.

what a cranky bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Total waste of scarce fossil fuels, and unnecessary noise pollution for Salthill residents who have no choice but to "attend".

Leave it out.

Nobody is forcing you to go,your entitled to your view and if you dont like what we Organise then dont go. Noise pollution? Are you having a laugh? Salthill is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Leave it out.

Another classic 'JustMary' post...................

vulcan57 wrote: »
    With the local elections coming up, can we get the names of the candidates that apposed the air show so we don't vote for them. The ones that I know of are, firstly, the Connelly sister's who are very strong supporters of GAAW, if not signed up members, Niall Ó Brolcháin and Crowe.

Can we put a pro and anti air show coucillors together.

Any body spot the deliberate mistake? Seriously, though, Cllr Crowe is very much PRO the air show, my mistake. :rolleyes:

3fullback wrote: »
    what a cranky bollox

Thats just rude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Thats just rude!!

Yet true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

The poll speaks for itself, id rather travel to Galway then to the UK or Europe to see an Airshow for gods sake. Then again if i want to see bomb laiden F15E Strike Eagles i can just go to the famous "Mach Loop" in Wales and watch them at more or less full speed down low and dirty pulling some serious G's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

I would love to see it had stunt planes instead of military jets
    why not something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrY3PaiUkSQ

or even if not the actual race, just a demonstration, the whole watching killing machine makes me quiet bored yawn,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

jayoo wrote: »
    I would love to see it had stunt planes instead of military jets
    or even if not the actual race, just a demonstration, the whole watching killing machine makes me quiet bored yawn,

The Blades.......Eddie Goggins......something for everybody Jayoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Thats just rude!!

ah will ya come of it.... ya tree hugging muppet ya ...... same to you "just mary" people like you who have brought down the country with your noise pollution and health and safety crack ... next will be waring helmets going for walks in case a fu*king plane lands on top of us ..... wake up will ya and start living in the real world ... AND MUST I SALY IT AGAIN "YA CRANKY OLD BOLLOX ".........................

Listen to it you might learn something

Ps: ;);):D THANK YOU O4KY

3fullback wrote: »
    ah will ya come of it.... ya tree hugging muppet ya ...... same to you "just mary" people like you who have brought down the country with your noise pollution and health and safety crack ... next will be waring helmets going for walks in case a fu*king plane lands on top of us ..... wake up will ya and start living in the real world ... AND MUST I SALY IT AGAIN "YA CRANKY OLD BOLLOX ".........................

Listen to it you might learn something

Ps: ;);):D THANK YOU O4KY

LOL LOL LOL!
    Since you are seemingly new to boards and for whatever reason have been unable to read the charter I will take the time to educate you.

Do not insult the poster - instead conjure up the intellect to attack the post. This makes things nice and civil!
    Opinions are subjective if everyone thought along the same lines what a boring place the world would be!

I guess Rocky is your idle - enough said! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

yes, yes ,yes.......absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

I know Ireland's become so bourgoise these days that it's kind of fashionable to be slightly right-leaning.

hence the 'kill all sandal wearing hippies' approach is sorta cool, with-it, cutting edge etc.

the reality is if you saw first hand what these weapons can inflict on the human body, most of you right leaning yuppy nerds would ****e your trousers and be in post-traumatic rehab for the rest of your days.

however your mundane suburban lives where the nearest you will ever get to war is the history channel; and an F16 is something on the discovery channel, have allowed to to get a little 'it dont bother me' about it all.

at least the 'sandal wearing hippies' have the balls to stand up against the general tide of ****ehawkism in this country.

you make me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

happytime wrote: »
    you make me sick

Glad to hear it.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to see what this or this can do to a human body... the horror... the horror...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

hippytime wrote: »
    I know Ireland's become so bourgoise these days that it's kind of fashionable to be slightly right-leaning.

yada yada yada....

you make me sick

Fixed your name AND your post :pac:

If anything the airshow makes me NOT want to go to war (seeing the sheer power and noise and potential damage), as you say, those things could take out a body so easily. Now if i'd never been to an airshow, i'd be more curious to see one of these planes, possibly by becoming a pilot and blowing the sh1te out of some place. However, seeing them at the airshow makes me not want to blow stuff up.

In conclusion: You argument sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

however your mundane suburban lives where the nearest you will ever get to war is the history channel;

Don't live in the suburbs.
    You loose.
    Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I know Ireland's become so bourgoise these days that it's kind of fashionable to be slightly right-leaning............

at least the 'sandal wearing hippies' have the balls to stand up against the general tide of ****ehawkism in this country.

you make me sick
    Hope you get well soon, though your user name is obviously a misnomer, perhaps a happy pill would help. I was simply voting for an airshow, a great family day out, not to go to war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

hence the 'kill all sandal wearing hippies' approach is sorta cool, with-it, cutting edge etc.

the reality is if you saw first hand what these weapons can inflict on the human body, most of you right leaning yuppy nerds would ****e your trousers and be in post-traumatic rehab for the rest of your days.

however your mundane suburban lives where the nearest you will ever get to war is the history channel; and an F16 is something on the discovery channel, have allowed to to get a little 'it dont bother me' about it all.

you make me sick

Typical self-righteousness I have come to expect from your ilk.You seem to forget that the democracy that lets you speak your mind was fought for and maintained by war.I wonder how would you fare in the Third Reich or a Soviet republic.You would be the first to the gulag.
    Too many people have made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom for you get on your very old and tired high-horse.
    Remember that sometimes you have to fight back or die.You are very lucky you will never have to make that choice.Others didnt have that luxury.
    You make me sick.

• Advertisement

you make me sick

If you saw at first hand the damage that motor vehicles can inflict on the human body it would also make you ****e you trousers. Oh dear better ban all motor sport!!:mad:

How many millions of people in this world can now live free from oppression because of the help of these weapons? War is terrible but, unfortunately, inevitable and will continue to be so while there is religion and human greed in this world!

We are talking about a peaceful airshow celebrating the world of aviation, not an invation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement