Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we bring back the Galway Air Show in 2009?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

bring on da stealth bombers!!! hopefully flush all the crusties/pc folk/bitter/gaaw out of galway at the same time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Typical self-righteousness I have come to expect from your ilk.You seem to forget that the democracy that lets you speak your mind was fought for and maintained by war.I wonder how would you fare in the Third Reich or a Soviet republic.You would be the first to the gulag.
    Too many people have made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom for you get on your very old and tired high-horse.
    Remember that sometimes you have to fight back or die.You are very lucky you will never have to make that choice.Others didnt have that luxury.
    You make me sick.

People died for you to have the right to speak freely..how dare you speak freely?

..See what I did there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 live4today

happytime wrote: »
    I know Ireland's become so bourgoise these days that it's kind of fashionable to be slightly right-leaning.

hence the 'kill all sandal wearing hippies' approach is sorta cool, with-it, cutting edge etc.

the reality is if you saw first hand what these weapons can inflict on the human body, most of you right leaning yuppy nerds would ****e your trousers and be in post-traumatic rehab for the rest of your days.

however your mundane suburban lives where the nearest you will ever get to war is the history channel; and an F16 is something on the discovery channel, have allowed to to get a little 'it dont bother me' about it all.

at least the 'sandal wearing hippies' have the balls to stand up against the general tide of ****ehawkism in this country.

you make me sick
    first off...whats with your name cause clearly your not a very happy person, secondly why do you have such a problem with the air show? it brings loads of people together, generates a huge income for salthill and gives people something to do and even a family day out, fair enough its loud and all but it goes on 4 what like 3 hours, if you are that against the noise pollution surely you can leave your house for that time....the galway races brings with it noise pollution so does that mean that you think that that should be cancelled too even though it creates loads of jobs for people and generates thousands for the tourist industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lionsden

Just found this thread today while trying to find out if the airshow would be back this year..... it's been very entertaining!!!

I have a question for the Anti War Protestors / Hippies/ long haired friends of Jesus,... whatever. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by protesting against / at the airshow? You're certainly not going to make any point to the US / UK war machines, all you're going to do is piss off 80,000 odd people, who are trying to enjoy a day out. If you really want to protest, then feck off somewhere where you can possibly make a difference, like some of the actual military air bases, government buildings, or better still, go to Iraq / Afghanistan and do your protesting there. Best of luck with it!

Leave the airshow alone!

BRING IT BACK.... Great day for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Lionsden wrote: »
    Just found this thread today while trying to find out if the airshow would be back this year..... it's been very entertaining!!!

I have a question for the Anti War Protestors / Hippies/ long haired friends of Jesus,... whatever

Bunch of tree hugging lefty commie liberal freedom haters I reckon!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

JohnCleary wrote: »
    BRING IT BACK!

What a brilliant day out for EVERYONE (Even those anti-war people, sure when else do they get to express their interest in Ireland :D)

And free too! Oh and it brings business to Salthill.

Seriously wtf like, how is the Salthill Airshow a BAD thing? For all you anti-war protesters - fcukoff and protest outside the White House or something because personally I don't give a sh1t, and I think the majority (if not all?? :confused:) people who attend the Airshow would agree

Well, personally I don't give a ****e either, but still, there's gotta be better ways to bring business to Salthill, other than watching instruments of death and misery flying about the sky all day...

Tell ya what, if you like that kinda thing, why don't you take yerself over to Gaza and watch the airshow there? I'm sure you'll have a brilliant day out! Or better still, Afghanistan, I hear they've loads of airshows everyday, and most nights. Kids love it! And guess what? It's free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Well, personally I don't give a ****e either, but still, there's gotta be better ways to bring business to Salthill, other than watching instruments of death and misery flying about the sky all day...

Tell ya what, if you like that kinda thing, why don't you take yerself over to Gaza and watch the airshow there? I'm sure you'll have a brilliant day out! Or better still, Afghanistan, I hear they've loads of airshows everyday, and most nights. Kids love it! And guess what? It's free too.

Could of fooled me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thinly veiled troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Not so thinly veiled. Irelandspirit welcome to Boards. I am sure that you believe in democracy. Over 100,000 will demonstrate their desire to see an airshow by turning up & about 50 of you will protest against it.

Me too, just found this post today. Very insightful.

Still don't understand your 'logic', though. Everybody knows war planes are instruments of death and misery for millions of our fellow human beings around the world. How can anybody with an ounce of compassion enjoy watching war planes flying around our skies?

'80,000 people trying to enjoy a day out', you say. Christ! We're all well and truly f***ed if you're right!

You're not right, fortunatly.

And that's such a stupid comment, saying anti-war protesters should feck off to Afghanistan. Why don't you go to Afghanistan and watch the airshow there? It's on every day, and most nights - loads of fun for you, seeing as ya like that kinda thing.

Don't get me wrong though, I do think war is necessary under some conditions, such as defence etc, but I don't understand your reasoning here, i really don't.

Lionsden wrote: »

I have a question for the Anti War Protestors / Hippies/ long haired friends of Jesus,... whatever. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by protesting against / at the airshow? You're certainly not going to make any point to the US / UK war machines, all you're going to do is piss off 80,000 odd people, who are trying to enjoy a day out. If you really want to protest, then feck off somewhere where you can possibly make a difference, like some of the actual military air bases, government buildings, or better still, go to Iraq / Afghanistan and do your protesting there. Best of luck with it!

Leave the airshow alone!

BRING IT BACK.... Great day for all!

• Advertisement

You can't understand the "logic" of people voting with their feet & attending an airshow because they want to, rather than being dictated to by a tiny minority like yourself.

Maybe you are new to Galway but past shows have drawn huge crowds. By your "logic" there are 100,000 warmongers in Galway like the ones who turned up recently to see the Red Arrows. I suggest that you make a placard & patrol the prom during the next show. If you are right then thousands will see the error of their ways & flock to be your disciples.

By the way according to your logic the following are also warmongers. Aer Arann, Air Sea Rescue, The Defense Forces, RNLI, etc etc.

Discodog wrote: »
    Not so thinly veiled. Irelandspirit welcome to Boards. I am sure that you believe in democracy. Over 100,000 will demonstrate their desire to see an airshow by turning up & about 50 of you will protest against it.

Thanks for the welcome, Discodog!

Tell you the truth, I'm highly distrustful of democracy - I lean more towards the basic priciples of Common Law, 'Do what you want, harm none' - so no, I won't be among the 50 protesters - I really don't think it will make a difference anyway, other than to divide us still further on an issue which runs far deeper than this.

And if you're right that over 100,000 will demonstrate their desire to see an airshow by turning up, then as I said to lionsden, we are all well and truly f****ed.

You can't understand the "logic" of people voting with their feet & attending an airshow because they want to, rather than being dictated to by a tiny minority like yourself.

Maybe you are new to Galway but past shows have drawn huge crowds. By your "logic" there are 100,000 warmongers in Galway like the ones who turned up recently to see the Red Arrows. I suggest that you make a placard & patrol the prom during the next show. If you are right then thousands will see the error of their ways & flock to be your disciples.

By the way according to your logic the following are also warmongers. Aer Arann, Air Sea Rescue, The Defense Forces, RNLI, etc etc.

Make a placard, disciples, wtf? Oh dear, we are upset!

Look, have your 'Airshow', that's not the issue here, it's about having the compassion and basic human understanding to see what the airshow represents!

If you'd see that, you would be a little more respectful, i think.

Yes, I'm from Galway, if that makes you feel better...

God, if that's what this thread's about, no hope, i'm off for a pint :)

To me an airshow represents talented pilots displaying their skill to an appreciative audience. You are the one who sees death, misery & upset.

To me respect has to be earned not expected.

I don't think this thread is about God ! try the religion & spirituality forum !

To me an airshow represents talented pilots displaying their skill to an appreciative audience. You are the one who sees death, misery & upset.

To me respect has to be earned not expected.

Thank you, you are absolutely right - I look at an F-16 and i see death and misery, I don't know why. I can't help it. Maybe it's because my emotional and cognitive faculties are still intact?

i dunno, I hope one day I'm like you, and I'll cured of this terrible affliction - and i'll be able to look at a war plane and not think of war.

Ok, I think that just about said it all! Thanks again.

Now, off for me pint, see you after...

. Maybe it's because my emotional and cognitive faculties are still intact?

Or maybe they are very selective. The whole of Western Europe once depended on war planes to restore their freedom. Some might view a war plane as a weapon, others might view it as welcome protection & some might see it as entertainment.

The Airshow entertained a huge crowd for several years & I suspect that their cognitive & emotional faculties were just as intact as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Wanted to say my piece Disgodog, but I would only be repeating what you have said. Nicely put my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thank you, you are absolutely right - I look at an F-16 and i see death and misery, I don't know why. I can't help it. Maybe it's because my emotional and cognitive faculties are still intact?

i dunno, I hope one day I'm like you, and I'll cured of this terrible affliction - and i'll be able to look at a war plane and not think of war.

Ok, I think that just about said it all! Thanks again.

Now, off for me pint, see you after...

You must bust a nut every time you see that big yellow hummer in Galway...

The whole of Western Europe once depended on war planes to restore their freedom. Some might view a war plane as a weapon, others might view it as welcome protection & some might see it as entertainment.

Ok, thanks for that, some very good points and have to say i agree with you to an extent, the ariforce played a huge role in the restoration of europe's freedom and so on, yes, and I'm highly aware that these people performed the ultimate sacricrifice in last war, and respectful of the fact -and for this reason it is pretty obvious to me that war planes are NOT entertainment.

War planes ARE weapons of war. There is no getting away from that, and there is nothing 'entertaining' about that either, IMO. War can be a necessity perhaps, yes, in defence of our freedoms, country, family - jesus i'd be the first in line if anybody threatened my family, but where does the entertainment factor come into it?

Granted, like you say, some people do see it as entertainment, and yes, perhaps some see a jet fighter and feel 'defended', while others maybe cream themselves with pleasure, judging by some of the posts on this thread, but do you understand what's going on here?

Can you hear yourselves?

Have an airshow, show off pilot skills, great! It's a good day out for the kids, good for business too.

Leave the warplanes in their hangers, they're not necessary, they're entirely incongruous to a family day out in Salthill.

There is a place for the display of military stuff, as in remembrance of people who actually fought and died in wars, but always with respect and understanding of their sacrifice, and reflecting the ideals of a healthy society - not mindless entertainment.

I hope this makes sense, had a couple of scoops :) but if the airshow was overtly a military affair, with some kind of educational purpose behind it, I'd embrace that as a healthy step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Ok, right, where to start.

I was at the Red Arrows display at Salthill and thoroughly enjoyed it for various reasons. On the way back to the city, I encountered the most pathetic, egotistical, look-at-me-i'll-bring-piece, arrogant, rant from the GAAW. It was horrendous, by all accounts.

The biggest problem with you lot is your sheer ignorance in military matters. Just to use the reds as an example, I wonder did you know that the jets they use are NOT used on the frontline, they are in fact advanced jet TRAINERS?? The GAAW were roaring and shouting about those "murdering machines", yet maybe if they did a little research they would have realised that they are not used to carry any armament.

Secondly, a galway county councillor gave a speech. He is from my local town and is very politically affiliated with a "radical" group in the North. He was lambasting the British Army and how they "murdered Father Griffin in these very streets". Is he just ignoring the thousands of innocent victims caused by the troubles, in which his "group" were the murderers??

He also mentioned how the reds were just a recruitment agent for pilots of the British Army, so Irish people would be encouraged to fly over and kill innocent people. Hello, NEWSFLASH, Irish people cannot fly in the RAF for the last 20 years or so...

An airshow is simply that, an airshow. The intention is not to bring up the poitical background of war and the loss of life that is caused by the planes. It is a show of the pilots expert abilities to control there aircraft in very tight formations. The pilots are unbelievable and it is simply a parade of their skill, nothing more, nothing less. The emphasis of the show is not on the aircraft (except for the engineering behind them, power of engines, top speed etc), but on the skill of the pilot. Not once did the commentator mention the armament of a fighter jet or what they do out in the front. What I can tell you is that one of the red arrows was originally born in Columbia, another likes amateur tree surgery and another works with a mountain rescue team!

They are also symbols of the professionalism of the RAF, which is evident in their attention to detail and time keeping! So get your facts right before you form your opinion please and don't just jump into a debate feet first!

• Advertisement

I hear ya, Delta Kilo, and you're right that most of us are not up on military matters - but please don't jump to conclusions either, as in 'you lot', because I'm here to learn (as much as I'm here to have my 5 mins worth!).

I know it's supposed to be about the pilot's skills, and not about dropping bombs on people, but the two are not mutually exclusive. An airshow which features military jets, albeit training ones, is still military oriented, and therefore perhaps, the political background of war and the suffering that wars cause should be brought up. It can't be swept away so readily, not that i'm suggesting you are, but to do so i think is hypocritical.

Perhaps the commentator at these events should mention the armament of a fighter jet, and what they actually do out there. Why not? What's he hiding? I for one would like to know what exactly it is I'm supposedly being entertained by, at least then I can make an informed decision in regards how to feel about the whole thing. Or is it perhaps that if the commentator did inform us, we'd feel quite disgusted with ourselves, rooting for these aerial displays of... of what, exactly?

Perhaps you can tell us...

As you wrote your last post at midnight & then edited it at 4 am maybe you are taking this all a little too seriously. If you do your research you will discover that an Airshow is unlikely due to financial reasons.

If a show can be organised then at least 100,000 people will enjoy it. If you perceive those people to be reveling in war then I suggest that you get more sleep.

If there were no on-going wars in the world I wonder would we be having this conversation? The aircraft would still be there and there for the same purpose. Thousands attend motor shows even though there are millions killed on the roads around the world every year. It is a show, not a celebration of road kills! Aviation enthusiasts love to attend airshows as they present aircraft that a lot of people don't get to see too often. Like I have said in previous posts, military aircraft are at airshows because people want to see the most up to date and most technologically advanced aircaft in the world. Likewise people attending a motor show want to see the most up to date cars and not to know the stats on how many they will kill around the world. Would there be objections to a Swiss F-18 going through its paces even though Switzerland haven't been involved in a war since the Sunderbund War more than 160 years ago, bet there would be by a few. There also seems to be no objection of Irish Air Corps aircraft attending:confused:

As you wrote your last post at midnight & then edited it at 4 am maybe you are taking this all a little too seriously. If you do your research you will discover that an Airshow is unlikely due to financial reasons.

If a show can be organised then at least 100,000 people will enjoy it. If you perceive those people to be reveling in war then I suggest that you get more sleep.

Yes, i edited that post because it was full of typos, so i took the trouble to make it more legible, and yes I do take this seriously because it's underpinning a serious issue: the prevalent attitude that it's somehow ok to see weapons and war as a form of entertainment.

Please reply respectfully and coherently to the points i raised for you, or not at all, because petty innuendos about my sleeping habits, (and on a Saturday night for fecks sake!) clearly denotes an inability to respond without incriminating yourself still further, or a complete lack of respect for the subject you're (supposedly) dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm going to give you some slack because you're new but personal abuse will get you banned from this forum. Discuss the issues at hand only, any attack on a poster will result in a smack on the wrist.

Back on track pls

your comparisons between cars and war planes explains everything I've been trying to say here, thank you.

A couple of questions for you, then:

Who drives a car to intentionally cause death except a homicidal psychopath?

And therefore, who would (knowiningly) enjoy being entertained by a motor car designed specifically to cause death?

I look forward to your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

your comparisons between cars and war planes explains everything I've been trying to say here, thank you.

And therefore, who would (knowiningly) enjoy being entertained by a motor car designed specifically to cause death?

Any motor car loaded with explosives or armed with any weapons eg, a gun is a potential killing machine a passenger plane armed in a similar way is also a weapon. I have never heard of a Red Arrows Plane used in combat anywhere in the world, they do aerobic stunts, and quite amazing ones at that.:)

Granted, few people go out to to intentionally kill people in cars, but anyone that gets into a car full of drink or under the influence of other substances is in effect in charge of a leathal weapon and very high proportion of deaths on the road are drink related. My point is that there are still a huge amout of motoring enthusiasts as there are aviation enthusiasts that are there purely for the fact that that is there interest and NOT the killing. As has been alraedy mentioned the red arrows Hawks are not used for killing so why are they being objected to?. Also remember that companies like Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, GM, Rover etc. ect. all supply their vehicals for military use, but because any aircraft that come here with the faintest connection to military use are described as "war Machines" Also SAAB are the biggest producer of fighter jets in Sweden and they are used by air forces in a number of countries around the world.

Please reply respectfully and coherently to the points i raised for you, or not at all, because petty innuendos about my sleeping habits, (and on a Saturday night for fecks sake!) clearly denotes an inability to respond without incriminating yourself still further, or a complete lack of respect for the subject you're (supposedly) dealing with.

Respect for what subject ?. I started this thread on the premise of getting the Airshow back whereas you have deliberately hijacked it into the anti war agenda. The supporters of the show are very familiar with this technique.

Incriminating myself ?. How ? I am a declared supporter of the Airshow. I believe that armed aircraft will always be a feature of life & I have no problem seeing them flown for entertainment.

As for replying respectfully well as I have already said respect is earned & you have certainly not earned mine. This is a discussion forum & you will find that the posters enjoy a little banter from time to time.

I apologise if you do not find my posts coherent but they are written to be read by adults. I am sure that other posters will let me know if they have any difficulty understanding my text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

To quote something from Neil Peart,
    Those who know what's best for us,
    must rise up and save us from ourselves.
    :rolleyes:
    The vast majority have clearly spoken, 100,000 plus enjoyed the fantastic Red Arrows display, compared to a handful of opponents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement