Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurolines Drivers?

• 02-08-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering, are Eurolines drivers just standard BE drivers who get marked up on these routes or do you have to nominate yourself onto these routes? Also what way do shifts work?

Just looking for info instead of going upstairs to management.

Cheers

BAC Driver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

The guys over at garaiste.com might be able to help you on that one. Ive often wondered what way the eurolines worked myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

Unless things have changed recently, Eurolines services are driven by normal BE drivers on this side of the water, and by subcontracted UK operators on the other side - i.e. the Bus Eireann coach and passengers go over on the ferry, but the driver does not.

For example, all the services going through Holyhead were driven on the UK side by drivers from KMP Llanberris for many many years, though I believe they lost the contract recently.

Aquavid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I thought Eurolines would have been operated by National Express in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

National Express franchise a lot of their operations out to smaller coach companies who then operate in their colours..it's not one homogenous service like Bus Eireann is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BuffyBot wrote: »
    it's not one homogenous service like Bus Eireann is

Bus Eireann isn't one homogenous service like Bus Eireann is. They contracted in 57 million km of services last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote: »
    Bus Eireann isn't one homogenous service like Bus Eireann is. They contracted in 57 million km of services last year.

I would bet it will be a lot less this year, BE have been cutting back on the numbers of hired coaches operating their core services, particularly in Dublin.

In general BuffyBot is correct though.

Bus Eireann only hire in to cover non-availability of their own drivers and buses and with a few exceptions do not have particular operators exclusively running specific routes or services.

National Express is entirely different. The vast majority of their services are franchised out to local operators who run all services on routes they are awarded. The coaches are required to carry NX colours and all publicity/fares/bookings are handled through NX.

Eurolines is operated in different manner again. The brand is owned by NX but the services are operated by various operators in each locality and is more of a co-operation using the Eurolines brand than a franchise system.

Bus Eireann were running the Ireland-UK services under their own branding for a long time before joining the expanding Eurolines network. Bus Eireann still operate all of the Ireland-UK services and the UK based operators who supply coaches and drivers for some of these services are contracted to BE not Eurolines/National Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gary Gleeson

I used to hate getting the coach to and from London and Dublin, until recently.

Here's why.

I got the Eurolines Coach one way from London Victoria to Dublin on Friday and I have to say that it was the best customer service experience that I have ever had.

But before I go into this let me fill you in on what happened beforehand.

I got a Ryan Air flight over to London From Dublin to attend a business meeting.

I had planned to stay for a while and visit family but unfortunately, my bag got stolen and all my clothes, apart from what I was wearing were in the bag along with my passport, toiletries, overcoat and a few other personal things.

It was a warm day but it was cold later that night. I had nowhere to stay for the first night so I stayed awake getting shelter from the wind at a bus stop. So I turned up at the meeting without having a shower, without having brushed my teeth and inappropriately dressed wearing a t-shirt and a thin jumper.

I somehow managed to pull off my talk that was unprepared and I just said what popped into my head at the time.

After looking for a pair of winter gloves and an umbrella I decided to to get the coach back.

I had no ticket and just turned up at the coach and to my surprise the driver let me on and said that I had to pay at Birmingham. when we arrived in the Midlands he said it was best to pay him the far side as it would be cheaper for me.

The music was great on the radio, there were even some football videos to watch and a decent mix of music on a CD too.

I managed to get some sleep on the ferry which was the first time in almost 72 hours. So I was mentally and physically tired.

When I arrived at Busaras I forgot to pay him and he gave me a little reminder so I went to the ATM and paid him. I was a little bit embarrassed about the whole situation and even forgot to tip him because he went out of his way for me.

I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't let me on in the first place.

So that is why Eurolines Coach's was the best customer experience that I have ever experienced.

Advertisement