Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Central locking failed - help!

Options
  • 02-08-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Just bought this '02 Primera 2 weeks ago, took it out for a spin a few times since, and had no issues.

This evening I went over to the car, pressed the unlock button, and no response, I thought it was the key battery, so I went back home and got the spare key, and it still didn't unlock.

I had noticed a small red light that used to flash in the car dash before, but I don't see it flashing now, I'm not sure what that light was for. The light is shaped like a car with a key inside. Is it possible the car battery is dead?

I last took it out for a short spin just on Thursday evening when it was raining, and everything was normal then.

With the doors all locked now, I can't even open the bonnet to check the battery, so how can I enter my car?

Thanks for any advice,
    ibook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its possible the battery is gone if that lights off, yes. Can you not open the car with the actual metal of the key in the door? All my Fiat's have let me do that and I'm sure I could do it on the Nissan I had on hire recently.

If not, most keyless entry systems have some other way in from memory - hopefully you have the car manual, and not in the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not meaning to be smart, but have you tried putting the key in the lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

The thing that's got me bewildered is there is no lock in the door where I can put the key! The door handles just pull out similar to suitcase handles, there is no visible sign of a lock.

On the front passenger side, there is an embossed key on the door handle, but I dont see a lock around there, either.

The manual is locked in the car :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The part on the passanger side most probably clips off. I had a laguna that was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

ibook wrote: »
    The thing that's got me bewildered is there is no lock in the door where I can put the key! The door handles just pull out similar to suitcase handles, there is no visible sign of a lock.

On the front passenger side, there is an embossed key on the door handle, but I dont see a lock around there, either.

The manual is locked in the car :-(

On the passenger door handle, there's a circular plastic cover that pops off, and the key hole's behind it. All you might see is a small (4mmx1mm) hole, enough for you to get a small screwdriver in to pop the plastic cover off.

That's the way it is on the Almera, and it's probably the same for Primera

• Advertisement

http://www.nissanprimera.net/ may be a good place to ask for model-specific info like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Onkle wrote: »
    The part on the passanger side most probably clips off. I had a laguna that was the same.

Yep, that's it - just remove the cover on the passenger side handle where you'd imagine the key hole should be. It's behind that cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

ianobrien, crosstownk, Onkle you were spot on!

I tried what Ian advised, found the hole of the same dimensions as described, and was able to open the door. Thanks very much. I opened the manual for the first time & its in Polish! :-( I guess the previous owner must have got this manual from his native country as its for a left hand drive car, no sign of the original English language manual.

The car gives no response on ignition, no dash lights, I guess the battery is dead. Is there anything I can do myself to get it going? I dont know anyone with a car who can help me jumpstart it.

Given that the car is 6 years old, its probably a defunct battery, any idea how much will a new battery cost? Any brand suggestions?

You don't know anyone with a car, full stop? Any other 12V electrics car can jump you - thats 90% of cars on the road. Set of leads should be a tenner or less in a petrol station.

As goes a new battery, anywhere from 40 to 80 euros, Nissan batteries should be more normal than the ones I've paid 80 euros for (weird shaped Fiat ones) in the past so I'd go for the lower end. But if its draining itself without you leaving the lights on or similar theres probably a fault elsewhere in the electrical system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jokjetset

You didn't leave the courtesy light on or something, that will flatten an old battery pretty quickly (typical battery life is around 4-5 years but I've known some go far longer than that). Have you got any mates with a battery charger?

Banner or Oldham are the two makes of batteries I have had no trouble with. I also heard Exide were good but I have no personal experience of them.

There is a warehouse in Glasnevin that sell Banner batteries to the public. Shop around though, I was quoted anywhere from €60 to €120 for a battery for my car a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ibook wrote: »
    ianobrien, crosstownk, Onkle you were spot on!

I tried what Ian advised, found the hole of the same dimensions as described, and was able to open the door. Thanks very much. I opened the manual for the first time & its in Polish! :-( I guess the previous owner must have got this manual from his native country as its for a left hand drive car, no sign of the original English language manual.

The car gives no response on ignition, no dash lights, I guess the battery is dead. Is there anything I can do myself to get it going? I dont know anyone with a car who can help me jumpstart it.

Given that the car is 6 years old, its probably a defunct battery, any idea how much will a new battery cost? Any brand suggestions?

hmm....

sounds like a the queer electrical fault, ... Remove the + and - leads from the battery and tap them on the top of the connectors, to see if you can get a spark, if it sparks its still alive, thats just the alarm/immobilizer kicking in to stop the car from starting

if its the immob then your kinda at a loss, more then likely have to go to a Nissan garage to have it fully looked over as i myself am not a Nissan professional but in my sunny i just bought an alarm loom from a series 2 primera and wired that into my own car, of which, that doesn't work.... Seems to be a standard issue, but it happens after Years of use.... this car is still young ( imo ) and shouldn't of happened yet....

Best place for battery should you go to replace it: if your going to keep the car, go to halfords, get a Good one at a decent price, if not, theres a boshce shop in donnybrook, at the end of waterloo road as far as i remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

primeras, suffered from corrosion on the battery leads, green gunk growing on the connection to the battery. clean your battery terminals and leads charge the battery and try again before buying a new one. (my cousin had about 6 primeras in a row, and this happened on 3 of them)

Advertisement