Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

Options
  • 02-08-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

What is the general consensus from board members on the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly series of books?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

unreal books..very funny+true!! kool and the gang ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xword

Tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

Good for a little light reading and a chuckle. Got me through the final year of my degree when decent literature was just too much for my little frazzled brain to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I have heard so many mixed reviews. Will buy a book this week and see what I think. What book should I start off with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

I think he's a total focking ledge, deffo kool and the gang;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

well i would start with the first one out(cant remember what its called)as each 1 is a continuation from the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yeah best to read them in order.
    They're funny. I'd say there was at least one point in each book where I laughed my ass off.
    I'd say that they would be much more entertaining to someone very familiar with the culture they satirise. Then again read somewhere they're very popular in Russia lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I was very scooby dubious before I started reading them, because of the little bits I'd read I thought they'd be horrific. I didn't start with the first one which was an error, I really enjoyed them. Definitely not to be taken seriously, great for light reading. I'm hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Really liked them, no brains needed, they'd be great for a summer read, some parts are really laugh out loud

1-The Miseducation of Ross O'Carroll Kelly,
    2-The Teenage Dirtbag Years,
    3-The Orange Mocha-Chip Frappuccino Years,
    4-PS, I Scored The Bridesmaids,
    5-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress,
    6-Should Have Got Off at Sydney Parade
    7-This Champagne Mojito Is The Last Thing I Own
    8-Mr S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box, (out in October 2008)

This is the order in which they are written (thank you wiki;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Oh my gawwwwwwd these are loike cooler than necking a ken in Kiely's orse deep in top tens. In other words, I'd rather sport a denis from some random jacinta than miss out on these babies. Roysh :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I saw the whole series of books for €20 on Ebay recently; should've have invested in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

postage would probably have been a lot though

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

CSC wrote: »
    I saw the whole series of books for €20 on Ebay recently; should've have invested in them.

Actually I have the entire collection and I don't think I'd ever read them again. I'd sell them rather cheaply if anyone were interested... *innocent whistling* [/brazencheek]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

They're hilarious!!!

The man's a genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 garylarson

I enjoyed these books so much, passed them on to a few friends who were either hooked or horrified, Ross is a great character who is so awful because you know these types exist, it's like a sit com and some of the antics will leave you chuckling, some will leave you crying laughing and some will turn your stomach overall a great casual read best suited to hungover heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

The books were funny at first but Im getting extremely bored with them its the same stuff again and again. Writers should call it quits when they become unoriginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Loved them got hooked- found the ronan kid a bit on the annoying side though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

I think that the books can be compared to the Scary Movie films, they were funny at first just because they were a novelty, something new that didn't really fit into any genre, but now he really is just scooping up the cash whilst throwing out the same tired old gags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Absolutely gobbled these books up they're amazing. Have read all of them except the dog in the nightdress. Can't wait for the next one. Should be fun to watch him in coaching action :-)

They're really light reading and tend to inspire a love or hate reaction in anyone I've passed them on to. He's of the few writers who can make me laugh out loud though. I've always read them in a day or two, find it hard to put them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

People either love them or hate them, I love them. They are light, easy reading and while the latest books are trotting out many of the same jokes again, they are still great.

:)

If you do give them a go, read them in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I thought books 5 and 6 were very weak, but This Champagne Mojito is The Last Thing I Own was a huge return to form. My favourite so far.

Spoiler:

How did the latest one go down with you lot? There were some decent punchlines but some of them are getting a bit second hand. Plus, clogged toilet anecdotes are a little bit third rate rom-com at this point. I'm not sold on the way Ross is starting to learn to become a better person. He's actually being civil to his father and didn't sleep with any birds whatsoever this time. Characters like Ross are good because they're pricks. Making him a good person is killing the appeal for me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Absolute ****e. It's a joke that's funny for a couple of seconds with your mates or something. Look at me doing my Southsider impression. But having a series of books doing it? Dire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Just got the new book today!!

I thought the Champagne Mojito one was going to back the last one!

Just spotted the new one in Easons today and grabbed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I thought books 5 and 6 were very weak, but This Champagne Mojito is The Last Thing I Own was a huge return to form. My favourite so far.

Spoiler:

How did the latest one go down with you lot? There were some decent punchlines but some of them are getting a bit second hand. Plus, clogged toilet anecdotes are a little bit third rate rom-com at this point. I'm not sold on the way Ross is starting to learn to become a better person. He's actually being civil to his father and didn't sleep with any birds whatsoever this time. Characters like Ross are good because they're pricks. Making him a good person is killing the appeal for me a little.

Was alright, as always some funny jokes. The whole character development of Ross is really tedious though tbh-i've lost count of the amount of times he's 'changed', have a breakdown and go to his parents or get back with Sorcha but then revert to his character at the begininning of the new book. I like the way though that other characters develop like his parents and friends. And i think that without Ronan the books would be beyond boring now.
    I was shocked tbh when he killed characters of in the last book but i was impressed by the way it was done.

Has anyone ever read the original copies of the Miseducation Years? I have the first published version and its ridiculously hard to read now. Thank God he dropped the whole 'roysh', 'like' and description of every persons clothes/scent in every sentance. It is really painful to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

themont85 wrote: »
    Was alright, as always some funny jokes. The whole character development of Ross is really tedious though tbh-i've lost count of the amount of times he's 'changed', have a breakdown and go to his parents or get back with Sorcha but then revert to his character at the begininning of the new book. I like the way though that other characters develop like his parents and friends. And i think that without Ronan the books would be beyond boring now.
    I was shocked tbh when he killed characters of in the last book but i was impressed by the way it was done.

Has anyone ever read the original copies of the Miseducation Years? I have the first published version and its ridiculously hard to read now. Thank God he dropped the whole 'roysh', 'like' and description of every persons clothes/scent in every sentance. It is really painful to read.
    The clothes descriptions are meant to evoke American Psycho. Pity Ross doesn't go in for the old murdering, it might add some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

I like these books,they always make me laugh,though figuring out the lingo at times can be very confusing.borrow from library!all of them,except the new one should be there

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I've just finished the new one, and i loved it. Ross's old man is hilarious and the ending was great. These books always make me laugh out loud, and there does seem to be a steady progression to Ross growing up and copping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I thought the S*x in dublin city send up was hilarious

the toilet storyline was week as it was an old joke told many times.

enjoyable book - but last one was much better

Very Cat in the cradle

• Advertisement
Advertisement