Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about dead CPU's...(I'm going nuts here!!)

Options
  • 02-08-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm having big problems with my system since some freak occurrence the other day. A fan inside my computer sped up a few times and then my system died. I wasn't able to power on for more than a fraction of a second after that happened.

The PSU tested ok on its own, but I had doubts about it in the past, so I replaced it. Bingo! Everything seemed to power up (fans, LEDs etc..). Problem was that it wouldn't boot. Nothing whatsoever appeared on the screen, no disk activity, no beep codes, nothing.

I figured the motherboard was dead, so I replaced it. Same thing - wouldn't boot.

So I've narrowed it down to either the CPU or graphics card or both. I think it's the CPU, but I want to be sure. I did test it without the video card, and I know it's not booting (plus the keyboard won't light up...i.e. Num lock..caps lock etc..)

Is what I described typical of a failed CPU? If a CPU dies, will nothing (not even the BIOS info) appear on the screen? I would have thought there'd be some beep codes or something though.

Would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I had a faulty Q6600 but my computer would boot and in bios it was recognised,
    It was only when trying to install OS that it gave errors.
    after posting here the best anyone could come up with was try another CPU so i did and the new one worked,
    Oh and i tried replacing the MOBO & Gpu before that so i ended up buying a second PC(almost)
    Anyway good luck with it,hope you sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

try your cpu in another pc that can fit your cpu... if you have any pc repair shops nearby they might test it for you.

you could also try this with your graphics card too....... my ati card prevented my dell from booting.... a quick bios reset & update sorted it

Advertisement