Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skyDSL signal lost

Options
  • 02-08-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

I live in a BB blackspot so I had to resort to using skyDSL (it's a one-way satellite broadband service).
    I have been using it for over a year and was happy enough but last week I lost the satellite signal.
    I emailed them asking was their server down but they said it wasn't and to "check my dish alignment".
    I moved the dish a little and tried to get it back but couldn't and to be honest I can't be arsed trying any more as I had to move it once before when I lost the signal and it took me ages to get it. It hasn't been moved as far as I know so I should still be OK.
    It's complete BS and I am thinking of changing to another satellite service provider. I would like to have a d'load rate of 3-4 MB as that's the tariff I was one with skyDSL but that's going to be expensive. I have seen this site:http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/ but I need to be sure whoever I pick that they will guarantee that
    1. The signal will not suddenly be lost like with skyDSL
    2. If the signal is lost they will come and fix it

I could maybe get someone to find the skyDSL signal again for me (it must still be there) but the SKY guys won't do it for me.

Satellite BB again is the only option for me but apart from the link I put up, what are my options? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why won't they realign the dish for you, you pay them for a service and if you can't get it due the above error then surely they must fix it even if you had to pay them a service callout charge!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Why won't they realign the dish for you, you pay them for a service and if you can't get it due the above error then surely they must fix it even if you had to pay them a service callout charge!

MC

skyDSL is a "do-it-yourself" service. When you sign up they send the dish,software and parts to you and you have to set it up yourself. They are based in Germany and don't have field technicians, just a tech support line which is no help for a problem like mine, it can't be fixed over the 'phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Satellite dish alignment is incredibly sensitive -- just a mm or two off the satellite and you're not going to get anything. You'll need to get it realigned. You could try and do it yourself with a cheap satellite meter to show you signal strength and quality. It's not as bad yet if it's pointing pretty much in the right direction (not sure what satellite this service uses).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ah I see, not much they will do for you so.

:(

ethernet wrote: »
    Satellite dish alignment is incredibly sensitive -- just a mm or two off the satellite and you're not going to get anything. You'll need to get it realigned. You could try and do it yourself with a cheap satellite meter to show you signal strength and quality. It's not as bad yet if it's pointing pretty much in the right direction (not sure what satellite this service uses).

It's Atlantic bird 2 it uses but the signal is quite weak. The weather affects the signal, it is impossible to get it if it's overcast. I have a cheap satellite meter but it's nit much good, I need someone who has the digital one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bigger dish helps

more senstive LNB helps

compass helps

and this yoke :)

www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    bigger dish helps

more senstive LNB helps

compass helps

and this yoke :)

www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm

I don't really want to buy a bigger dish. The last time I lost the signal I priced them and they are around 100 euros for a dish that is 100 cm in diameter (my current one is 80 cm).
    I could pay a satellite installer to find it for me for that much. Buying an LNB is more expense. I have a compass.
    I am in the middle of a 12 month contract with skyDSL so if I terminate it will be 300 euros down the drain as i am paying €60 a month for flat rate download. That's why I am thinking of just getting rid of the whole thing as it's just ridiculous constantly having to re-align that dish and worrying about the signal going down again. Totally unreliable, and realistically I need b'band back by Tuesday for work reasons.
    Thanks for the advice regardless.

80cm should be enough , more sensitive LNB then, get 0.2db if you have 0.5db or 0.6db tolerance and that should work wonders.

does the technisat card show any signal at all ?? It should show a signal if you plug it into a sky dish meaning your lnb/cable must be at fault if the dish is aligned correctly to the atlantic sat ..

80cm should be enough , more sensitive LNB then, get 0.2db if you have 0.5db or 0.6db tolerance and that should work wonders.
    I presume by this you mean buy an LNB that can pick up a signal easier?
    I don't even know the db tolerance of the LNB I have.
    does the technisat card show any signal at all ?? It should show a signal if you plug it into a sky dish meaning your lnb/cable must be at fault if the dish is aligned correctly to the atlantic sat ..

Nah, no signal at all. I don't think the cable is at fault. I replaced the LNB so it isn't that either.

Test with sky install, if it still picks up nothing its the card .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Searcher

1. Get yourself a satellite signal meter ! lend, buy or steal...
    2. Make sure you equipment is fine and working.
    3. Figure the correct location of the satellite from the internet. The horizontal and vertical alignment.
    4. Realign the dish. Patience helps alot.

Good point about the PCI card; that could be the problem as I was installing a capture card and may have swapped out the card that the sat connects to at some stage.
    It may be damaged so I am going to have to buy a new one from skyDSL to be sure. I will also try and buy a better LNB. Once I have that done I will try and get the signal again by myself. If I am unsuccessful I'll get a satellite installer to do it for me. If I pay them enough then surely someone will do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Short Grass

Sky DSL almost went bust I believe at Xmas. They were rescued by a Swiss Venture Capital Company. Perhaps the money has run out again and this time it is terminal ? Do you know anybody else who has Sky DSL and is it still working?
    Other than that it is highly unlikely that it is the dish - more likely to be the card or the modem.
    Before spending a load of dosh replacing the card why not visit www.nbb.ie
    You can get full two way broadband there for in or about 60 euro. Surely that would be a better idea ? (also they are based in Ireland if anything should go wrong )

You can get full two way broadband there for in or about 60 euro. Surely that would be a better idea ? (also they are based in Ireland if anything should go wrong )

Seeing as you yourself work for NBB will you give him a discount off your normal install charge of €300 for the gear he already has ??

Sky DSL almost went bust I believe at Xmas. They were rescued by a Swiss Venture Capital Company. Perhaps the money has run out again and this time it is terminal ? Do you know anybody else who has Sky DSL and is it still working?
    Other than that it is highly unlikely that it is the dish - more likely to be the card or the modem.
    I hadn't heard of them (jeez I love this forum).
    The only thing that's making me try and get skyDSL working again is the fact I'm halfway through a 12 month contract.
    There's no phone line required for nbb so I might consider it. I'd have to go for the 2 MB line though which is expensive.
    I agree with what Sponge Bob said btw. :-)

What is your offer to Lukin then Short Grass?

You have posted nothing but free advertising for NBB since you started here so lets have the Boards discount offer please .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Short Grass, may I suggest that if you want to pimp NBB's services on boards.ie that you pay for advertisements like everyone else...contact an admin for more info on this.

Additionally if you continue to post on boards.ie may I strongly suggest that you make your position very clear with regards to your relationship to NBB...for example if your an employee and that you basically stop advertising NBB in that way you are.

Anymore of this type of pimping and they'll be a ban,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Short Grass, may I suggest that if you want to pimp NBB's services on boards.ie that you pay for advertisements like everyone else...contact an admin for more info on this.

Additionally if you continue to post on boards.ie may I strongly suggest that you make your position very clear with regards to your relationship to NBB...for example if your an employee and that you basically stop advertising NBB in that way you are.

Sorry, probably my fault. Didn't mean to drop you in the brown stuff, Short Grass.

Seeing as you yourself work for NBB will you give him a discount off your normal install charge of €300 for the gear he already has ??

Unfortunately none of his existing hardware will suit but I am sure NBB will look after him with a good price if he contacts them.

Cabaal wrote: »

Thank you for your advice. I did not know that I was doing anything wrong by answering queries with information.
    I assume that you will give the same advice/warning to one of your moderators (or is there one rule for plebs and another for patricians ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Thank you for your advice. I did not know that I was doing anything wrong by answering queries with information.
    I assume that you will give the same advice/warning to one of your moderators (or is there one rule for plebs and another for patricians ?)

Thats so bloody true I'm sure mister Digiweb will be along soon.

But you can't go around pimping a product when your a newbie with few posts as people just think that you have joined the forum to pimp your product.
    Maybe just put something in your signature similar to watty that should one rule for all then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I know it's taboo, but is there no wireless provider covering your area? If you're unsure, head to http://www.getbroadband.ie and/or http://www.broadband.gov.ie/List+all++Services.

I hope you get it sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcdrogo

Before anyone who reads this signs up for SkyDSL, please read my cautionary tale on the link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055137484&highlight=skydsl

:confused::eek::mad:

Advertisement