Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oz or NZ first

• 02-08-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Looking at heading away for a year in late Feb/early March.

All below are rough estimates of time spent in each country:

Going to do the Trans Mongolian Railway (2/3 weeks) then spend a couple of weeks in China then do Thailand,Laos,Vietnam(4 weeks ??)

So by the time I have done the above it potentially, give or take, be early May.

The only other countries I plan on visiting are Oz,NZ and Fiji.

So do I go to NZ or OZ from there (after Asia) ?

I ultimately plan on spending 6-8 months in Oz and working for a good few months of that.

Everyone seems to go to Oz first and then NZ, but I am thinking of heading to NZ first for a couple of months.

Is there any reason why I should or shouldn't do this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Looking at heading away for a year in late Feb/early March.

All below are rough estimates of time spent in each country:

Going to do the Trans Mongolian Railway (2/3 weeks) then spend a couple of weeks in China then do Thailand,Laos,Vietnam(4 weeks ??)

So by the time I have done the above it potentially, give or take, be early May.

The only other countries I plan on visiting are Oz,NZ and Fiji.

So do I go to NZ or OZ from there (after Asia) ?

I ultimately plan on spending 6-8 months in Oz and working for a good few months of that.

Everyone seems to go to Oz first and then NZ, but I am thinking of heading to NZ first for a couple of months.

Is there any reason why I should or shouldn't do this?

Cheers

it will depend on your priority ... do you want the sun?
    Sydney, melbourne, perth etc etc will all be fairly cold June-August inclusive. so if you wanted to skip the Oz winter then come back sept/oct for the sun, then I'd go NZ first (note it will be bloody cold there, but still fantastic)

I hit NZ first, mainly as I wanted to work in Oz, so I spent money in NZ then hit sydney then I worked as there woudl have been a danger of blowing lots of my money in oz before I went to NZ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Yeh I do want the weather to be as good as possible.

Even if I spent a couple of months in NZ first, it could be sometime in July when I arrive in Oz, which is still their winter.

Unless I decide to prolong my stay in Asia or something but that means spending more money.

Plus when I arrive on Oz, I wana go on the lash for the first few weeks and travel up/down the east coast and if after 2 months in NZ, I may not have enough money to do all that either.

It's just the time of the year I plan to go at probably doesn't suit weather wise for when I arrive in Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Oz is gunna be way nicer then NZ during the winter though....its been raining/grey here for the last 2-3 weeks whereas OZ is 15 in Melbourne and 32 in Darwin! I'd say do Ozzie last and work there for a while, enjoy touring NZ and doing some adventure stuff then finish off with ozzie and their warmer winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

i'm about 8 months into a year away with a few lads, we did 6 weeks in asia (singapore, thailand, cambodia, vietnam & laos). landed in sydney in time for new years, stayed there for 5 months to get a few bob together, coast for 3 weeks in may, in melb now. heading home through NZ (3 weeks), fiji & hawaii on the way home. so far its working out great so i'd recommend it!

only thing is you might ant to spend a little longer than 4 weeks if your planning on seeing that much of asia, i'd give it 6 at least. as for NZ/Aus first - personal taste really, weathers prob the only factor. If your into your sport might be worth ur while seeing if anythings happening that you'd be interestd in so you can plan for it (for example we wanted to to the Ireland - Aus rugby so made sre we were in mel for that, etc)

Advertisement