Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers and thieves in Lucan

• 02-08-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there has been affected by the people going door to door looking for money for a B&B. A woman who is followed by her husband?

This is constantly happening to us and things are being stolen from our car on the rare occasion that it is left open. This always coincides with a visit from these people.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, they dont knock at my neighbours houses just mine! I'm often alone and dont feel safe yet I don't think there is too much the Gards can do above what has already been done!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Approach neighboring youths and explain the situation and offer a reward if they see these beggers stealing from you. Then you'd have a witness for the guards, thats not to say if the youths don't kick the ****e out of these thief's first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I wouldnt put anyone in that position though, I think they are druggies and I'd hate for anyone to be hurt because of me. All the neighbours are aware now and all are watching out, we tend to call the kids in when they are around. I think they come back after dark to get into the cars!

I'm just wondering has anyone else had to deal with this, we don't even have any youths hanging around our estate! None of us can think who else it could be! We're very new to the estate and although others noticed a few things nothing was put together until we approached a few others and then people starting realising actually yes this is missing and that is missing!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

CSU wrote: »
    Approach neighboring youths and explain the situation and offer a reward if they see these beggers stealing from you. Then you'd have a witness for the guards, thats not to say if the youths don't kick the ****e out of these thief's first.

CSU, if you have no sensible suggestions I suggest you refain from making any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

I'm sorry, i'm just not the pansy type, hands-on type of bloke. Obviously noone around the area in question has the balls to deal with the situation up front. Go figure?

Curtain twitcher's ftw!

I dont know to take that as an insult or not. I'm a mother of 2 kids, I dont like feeling threatened when I'm home alone, I have said to hubbie not to approach the people involved as if they were to take a disliking you never know what could happen. I spent a lot of nights in the house without hubbie and I would be very nervous alone at the best of times but this increases my nerves.

I would not put neighbouring youths in danger. I have numbers of neighbours in case I need them but at the end of the day what can you do when you cant prove it. The gards have been called but they havent been caught red handed so they have been arrested for begging.

Basically I am looking to see if anyone here is also in this situation. I'm not looking to be called a curtain twitcher for trying to protect myself and my family!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, you mention that things have been stolen on the odd occassion you leave your car unlocked...

WTF? Lock your car ALL the time. These people will return for as long as they can easily rob from you or your car. Just turn them away in future.

On the 2 times I've left my car unlocked, I obviously dont purposely leave it unlocked. I have a baby that tends to do a runner as soon as you open the car door and in the confusion of chasing her downthe road it has happened that I overlooked locking the car. A neighbours house keys and wallet went missing from their hall table when they answered the door to these people and another neighbours take away food went missing when they were bringing bags in from the car, they had left their chipper on the roof of the car as they were taking things in and came out to find it gone! :eek:

Advertisement