Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Pay

Options
  • 02-08-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Can someone tell me (as ive been told varying things) what the starting salary for a garda is? Does this increase if you have a degree or do you get up the ladder quicker?

Im stuck in a dead end job which I hate and I suppose ive gotten "the calling" to join the force. I am 21 and have a BA honours degree in accounting and finance. I have read in other threads that you should not hold pay as the main reason for joining the guards and I dont but I earn €28,000 at the minute and wouldnt want to fall to much if I joined the guards. Also do you get any benefits while in Templemore?

Also is the Reserve force a worthwhile initiative for me to engage in in the meantime to get a taste of it and also is it only in a number of stations in the capitals? Im in Dundalk anmd wouldnt mind getting involved in the reserves but it would be a lot to ask to head to Dublin or Sligo or whatever.

Thanks in advance for any useful information you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

http://www.gra.cc/salary_scales.shtml all the info on pay is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Sorry to be dense, but what is attestation? Is that when you're accepted? I'm confused with the pay scale :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Sorry, nix the above, found the answer on the link previously mentioned :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sandylane

Hi

This is just my input, the pay is very low when you are in templemore about €197 per week but you get food down there so just tighten the belt.If you are struggling there is the gards credit union.After you get attested you should be on easily €37,000 with your allowances.If you get a station with overtime that all clocks up money for you.I have a good few friends in the job and there is no problem getting a mortgage or a loan.its a secure job with a lump sum of about €80,000 when u retire and a good penison.Special branch is thebest number salary scales from €85,000 to €100,000 a year.With the way the economy is going it s good number and u wont be getting the P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

sandylane wrote: »
    Hi
    With the way the economy is going it s good number and u wont be getting the P45.

There are absolutely no gurrantees that you would not receive your P45 from AGS. No member of the force is untouchable and if you go in there thinking that you are, you could be in for a big fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

There are absolutely no gurrantees that you would not receive your P45 from AGS. No member of the force is untouchable and if you go in there thinking that you are, you could be in for a big fall.

Yeah but what I think Sandy is talking about is the fact if you go in and dont act the muppet and respect your job and your position, you won't be seeing a P45. No1 from AGS will be left go because of economic resaons

"No member of the force is untouchable and if you go in there thinking that you are, you could be in for a big fall."

I never said that any member of the force is untouchable im just giving my input, of course you could be sacked (IF U MESS UP) and that goes for any profession.For instance if you are in the force you will not be called in to say we have downsize the staff:eek:.you are in for life unless you mess up or have to leave due to health problems.Everyone has their own opinions but in my opinion its a great number, all of my friends have at least 4 investment properties and enjoy the job and not many other jobs can give you that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

sandylane wrote: »

all of my friends have at least 4 investment properties and enjoy the job and not many other jobs can give you that.;)

All of my friends are top heavy with their share portfolios. Bought BOI, Anglo, AIB and ILP this time last year. Thousands of shares between them.
    Can they be in your gang or is just property thats different as a means of sure fire investment?

im very happy for them, so are all of my friends and myself doing well, i will probaly retire at 50 and happy days all round.if u want to join the gang the applications are coming out soon and they usualy put it in the paper.The age limit is 35.:):o

Advertisement