Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

indie-no

• 02-08-2008 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

whos with me when i say indie is shi,t??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well as a musician i TRY not to be ignorant to other genre's i will listen to some indie stuff but ill be quick to press stop if its some crappy generic crap which sounds stupid as hell. There is some decent songs/musicians out there but the genre like everyother genre are filled with generic bands that all sound the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Most chart "indie" sounds the same and is irritating as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Like any form of music there is far more dross than there is quality, just like Metal. However, there have been some amazing indie bands and some truly exceptional music made, it would be unwise to dismiss it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Indie pop, as in the crap thats in the charts is pure sh*te and totally generic but indie rock, the kind of bands you'll never hear unless you go looking for them can be pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I try to see the "talent" in any genre of music, but have yet to find it in indie. It all seems quite generic and bland to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You'd be surprised how frequently that's said about Metal by indie fans too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It depends what you mean by "indie".

If you just mean the "pop with guitars" crap that's become popular over the last 4/5 years, then yes, for the most part, I'd agree. However, the same would apply to 90% of popular rock and metal that has been released over the same time period.

But if you mean any form of music that's ever been described as indie/alternative/alt rock/post punk etc., over the last 30 years or so, then you are very, very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

When I lived in the UK I had a few mates who were really into Indie, so (unfortunately) I got dragged to a few gigs. Not my cup of tea that's for sure. Nightwish mentions generic in the above post, which they do fall into that category. It is a hard genre to break into and with so many bands all sounding so similar to each other it puts people off, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's a very sweeping statement to make. What exactly do you mean by Indie anyway? JC 2K3 put it very well:
    If you just mean the "pop with guitars" crap that's become popular over the last 4/5 years, then yes, for the most part, I'd agree.
    But if you mean any form of music that's ever been described as indie/alternative/alt rock/post punk etc., over the last 30 years or so, then you are very, very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm with you Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

As with nearly every other genre some of it's good and some of it's not. Dismissing it entirely is wrong imo.

Besides the term "indie" is essentially worthless these days. Today, pretty much any non-metal band with guitars is being described as indie

Does anyone want to go to the Alternative & Indie board and ask them if Metal is shit? It would be an interesting experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I used to mod alt and indie and I love metal. Indie is as much a single "genre" as metal is. Pop music made with an indie style (Killers, etc.) is, in my opinion, rubbish. Similarly, poppy metal is fairly cat too (Trivium are The Killers of the metal world). However, if you actually look at indie and metal with more than a brush dripping with tar you'll see that there are as many amazing bands that fall under the indie umbrella as under the metal one (and a few that fit under both).

Indie is short for independent and it used to cover all bands on an independent record label. It wasn't a genre as there's no way you could class The Smiths, Nurse With Wound and Sonic Youth as being the same genre yet all could be classed as indie.

In short, there are good artists and bad ones and who gives a **** what label lazy folk put on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

There has recently been a crop of very bland and generic indie bands, particularly in the UK, but there are some truly excellent indie bands out there as well. Bloc Party's first album is a fine example of how good indie can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

whos with me when i say that people who dismiss entire genres are ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭The Everlasting

Country, as a genre, is pathetic

whos with me when i say that people who dismiss entire genres are ****?
    Now I'm curious, what do the *s in your post stand for?
    Country, as a genre, is pathetic
    Why do you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭The Everlasting

It's generic, all sounds the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well i guess being stuck to only being able to write songs about cowboys and such means that its probably going to sound the same but least you get some decent acoustic guitar parts in the genre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

So Townes Van Zandt sounds the same as Garth Brooks? Again, this is another case of tar and brush syndrome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement