Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclock my xps 420

• 03-08-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

i was just wondering if there would be any point overclocking my dell xps 420? Processor: Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 @2400MHZ Physical Memory: 2048MB(2 x1024 DDR2-SDRAM) Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800Gt(DX10) Hard Drive:2x 250GB Hard Drive OS: Vista Premium 32 BIT i have never overclocked my computers before and was just wndering if doing it would make this system faster. i was thinking of buying 2 more 1GB memory cards to bribg total to 4GB, should i? will i see a huge inprovent? thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'm not 100% sure about the bios on an XPS420 if there's any overclocking options.
    Usually in XPS systems if the CPU being used is an extreme series then it opens up overclocking options in the bios.
    Do you have an extreme CPU?

If you don't then you can try and follow the directions in the below link...
    http://home.austin.rr.com/waterdogs2/xps420.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Google Q6600 pin mod. Sorted.

Will you see an improvement? Maybe, it depends on where you are looking. Bootup, maybe, depending on HD and fragmentation. Video processing will get a good boost and certain (CPU intensive) games will also.

Apps like FF/IE, word etc etc are unlikely to be any quicker.

Advertisement