Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

renault laguna wont start!!!!

Options
  • 03-08-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hey , i have a 01 reanult laguna. for the past couple of months every few days the car wouldnt start and would always start on the 3rd try. now the car wont start at all. the engine is turning over but just wont start. i thought it was down to the key cards but im starting to think its not this. i dont even know where to start to get this looked at. does anyone know a decent mobile mechanic??
    im in south dublin area.

thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do you have AA membership? Or know anyone who has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

dixie456 wrote: »
    hey , i have a 01 reanult laguna. for the past couple of months every few days the car wouldnt start and would always start on the 3rd try. now the car wont start at all. the engine is turning over but just wont start. i thought it was down to the key cards but im starting to think its not this. i dont even know where to start to get this looked at. does anyone know a decent mobile mechanic??
    im in south dublin area.

thanks a mil

I saw this problem a few times recently and the problem was the flywheel position sensor was dirty. For some reason, when you take it out and clean it off (the magnetic pick up attracts dust that has metal components in it, such as clutch lining material, etc), this tends to resolve the issue. You can always replace it as opposed to giving it a rub. I've also seen two Laguna's with a immobilisation problems recently, if you have a red light flashing on the dash when you are trying to start the car, this will tell you it could be an immobiliser issue, you'll need a digit code to resolve this, but if the car will start after a few attempts, then this is most likely not your problem.

Laguna's are also notorious for ignition coil problems but this would probably cause a misfire situation as opposed to a non-start problem... Is that red light flashing on your dash??? I'd say from what I've read so far it is your flywheel posiiton sensor, easy to remove and clean, two 10 bolts hold in in, easy to get at...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dixie456

haha, that was like double dutch to me. typicall girly girl. will get someone to look at it tomorrow and see how we go from there. my main worry is it is something more serious and it will cost me a fortune to get fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It'd be a big help if you could get the car brought somewhere rather than having to use a call-out mechanic. If you can think of anyone you know who has AA membership they should be able to do this for free.

haha, that was like double dutch to me. typicall girly girl. will get someone to look at it tomorrow and see how we go from there. my main worry is it is something more serious and it will cost me a fortune to get fixed

Well it shouldn't cost $$$. I did this job twice in the last 2 weeks and parts cost about 50 odd Euro and 1 hour labour. It shouldn't cost a fortune. I'd be 70-80 sure it is flywheel pos sensor...

• Advertisement

still no go. anyone i have spoken to doenst know where the flywheel sensor is? am i better off calling a mobile mechanic or getting it towed to a garage as the car is not even starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

still no go. anyone i have spoken to doenst know where the flywheel sensor is? .

Without meaning to sound smart, have you spoken to an actual mechanic?

no thats wot im saying, trying to find a nice cheap mobile mechanic or else will have to get the car towed to my garage!!!

no thats wot im saying, trying to find a nice cheap mobile mechanic or else will have to get the car towed to my garage!!!

To get a car towed to a garage is going to cost you more than it will to fix the problem. Any mechanic or even an apprentice will know where the flywheel/crankshaft position sensor is. On your car, taking it out (1 minute job), cleaning it (10 second job) and putting it back in again (1 minute job), is not a difficult task, anyone who can change their own battery can do this...

thanks sara but the car was traded in about 2 months ago. ended up getting the timing belt done and a week later i was driving and the steering went wit the baby in the car!!!! so dangerous. so i bit a happy farewell and got a 05 toyota corolla. lovely car to drive and shouldnt have too many problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sorry for the hole in the space -time continuum there, just deleted the spammy post from sara when the last reply was made.

Thread is done now anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement