Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Way too much thanking going on in Feedback

Options
  • 03-08-2008 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Whats with all the thanking going on in feedback, every second thread is awash with the stuff. Personally I thank someone if they have done something for me, like answered a question or given me a cool link, I don't thank people for there opinions ,

you should use it a bit more sparingly so it actually means something, a thanks is pretty meaningless in feedback as every second post has thanks from everyone and their dog, I don't think it's supposed to be used as a +1,
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MooseJam wrote: »
    I don't think it's supposed to be used as a +1,
    ... or to get a dig in at someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea I noticed this and it actually can be a bit distracting. I rarely thank but I would make an exception for a long informative post like the ones a couple of guys in politics were doing during the treaty debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I for one welcome our circle jerk overlords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I dunno, I've never noticed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

They'll all be sorry when they go blind... or it falls off. Bunch of thankers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I don't think it's supposed to be used as a +1,

No, you're a +1!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's because feedback is one of the best if not the best forum on boards. Thanking someone allows you to be involved with the discussion when perhaps you only had one or two words to say. Why clutter up the thread.

Feedback is a more relaxed place than alot of the other forums. Emotions run high and everyone has an opinion. It's a very active place so I'm not surprised there is so much thanking going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

stfu tbh

just another pointless, whiney complaint. Honest to god, does it really affect your experience in such a drastic measure? didn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My thanking button seems to be out of order a lot lately - and before I run out of my quota.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't worry everybody, you can test if your thanking ability still works in this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

07a694f4c1f3983a8cd7f81f8812d534.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I call BS on this thread as a crafty way of getting ironic thanks for the OP. It worked too.

Don't worry everybody, you can test if your thanking ability still works in this post.

What d'ya know- it does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not so sure yet. :pac:
    Can't somebody thatnked that heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I saw it from miles away, I refuse to give him thanks! grr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thank those who make a point that i happen to agree with.

I think there should be a thumbs down button though.

I thank those who make a point that i happen to agree with.

I think there should be a thumbs down button though.

Thumbs Up, thumbs down, isn't that in essence the failed karma system?

youre a failed karma system!

Overheal wrote: »

Oooohhhh there was no need for that.

• Advertisement

I categorically disagree with that rebuttal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You should be in the Moderators bunker, so much licking of arse, several will be coming down worth something unmentionable soon.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Whats with all the thanking going on in feedback, every second thread is awash with the stuff. Personally I thank someone if they have done something for me, like answered a question or given me a cool link, I don't thank people for there opinions ,

you should use it a bit more sparingly so it actually means something, a thanks is pretty meaningless in feedback as every second post has thanks from everyone and their dog, I don't think it's supposed to be used as a +1,

Translation: Must increase "Thanks" count. THANK ME NOW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dudess wrote: »
    My thanking button seems to be out of order a lot lately - and before I run out of my quota.

theres a quota??How much and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

theres a quota??How much and why?

I think it's 10 per day...ironically, it's to reduce the kind of 'thanks' spamming the OP is complaining about.

OP, sometimes, when a post has already said everything you would have said on a topic, it's easier and better to thank that post than to reply with a quote and "I agree" or "+1". Simple really. Other times you recognise the value of someone's well worded post and thank them but you still have more to add so post again later as well as thanking. What's the problem with that?

Overheal wrote: »

Yore Ma's a failed karma system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I think it's 10 per day...ironically, it's to reduce the kind of 'thanks' spamming the OP is complaining about.

OP, sometimes, when a post has already said everything you would have said on a topic, it's easier and better to thank that post than to reply with a quote and "I agree" or "+1". Simple really. Other times you recognise the value of someone's well worded post and thank them but you still have more to add so post again later as well as thanking. What's the problem with that?

can you save them up and then go on a thanking spree??

And *ahem* +1 on all of the above,i use thanks to show gratitude were theres nothing else to be added,but you think a poster did a good job at explaining/pwning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I love the 'remove all' thanks option

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Poor MooseJam, so many hardships. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Dear christ, what's with all the whining in feedback all of a sudden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement