Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starbucks in galway??

• 03-08-2008 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Anyone hear that a Starbucks was going up on shop st in Galway? that would be AWESOME!! i wish we had dunkin donuts here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

What about Mocha Beans on Edward Square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    What about Mocha Beans on Edward Square?

Exactly, starbucks are the mc donalds of coffee.

Mocha beans roast their own stuff and do a good job at it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Starbucks is the perfect way to finish a lovely meal at Supermacs.

Do people get sinbinned for sarcasm around here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

baglady wrote: »
    Anyone hear that a Starbucks was going up on shop st in Galway? .

Source- Link?

Doubt this would happen the Coffee market here is pretty saturated. Besides the Lavazza place on Shop Street is just as good if not better then Starbucks.

Frappuccino's are good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I heard a rumour that they're going in where Sisley was apparently...

always thought they were overrated to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Doubt this would happen the Coffee market here is pretty saturated. Besides the Lavazza place on Shop Street is just as good if not better then Starbucks.
    Two things there....
    1. Saturation won't deter Starbucks... they move in and then squeez out opposition. In many cities I've seen multiple Starbucks on the same street.

2. Everywhere is better than Starbucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    2. Everywhere is better than Starbucks.

Ah now.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    1. Saturation won't deter Starbucks... they move in and then squeez out opposition. In many cities I've seen multiple Starbucks on the same street.

Which then becomes a place dominated by mindless consumers unaware that the product they have been given is the most mediocre out there but go to it based on name and reputation.

I fear for Galway consumers should they eventually come here

So, any word on whether Starbucks are getting in? I'm stuck in Dublin, been going to the Starbucks in Blackrock. (I think it's worth travelling out to by DART just for a Vendi with that view of the bay.) I really need something to break my snack box meal habit (why is it when i have money i waste it on junk food?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

So, any word on whether Starbucks are getting in?

Starbucks laying off heaps closing off stores and blames recession

Doubt they'll be moving here anytime soon;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sea Devils wrote: »

Doubt they'll be moving here anytime soon;)

:(

Gowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

that was months ago, starbucks euro takeover is going strong, the amound of stores opening every month is alarming. (For those that love proper coffee)

b0bsquish wrote: »
    , the amound of stores opening every month is alarming. )

Really?. Even in this ecomomic climate?

I've read that they made losses with their stores in Ireland so I hardlly think they'll be likely to expand in the irish market for the forseeable future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I dont get the starbucks infatuation either. When I was in Canada for the summer theres a starbucks on every corner, still used to go out of my way to go down to the coffee shop in the nearby market for an afternoon of reading and drinking tea or coffee. Not being a huge coffee fan I cant comment on their coffee but their tea wasnt exactly amazing. Really hope they dont come to Galway as I happen to like Mocha Beans and wouldnt want to see them close down because of starbucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

The only time i went to Starbucks regularly was in China where it's one of the few places you can get something approaching proper coffee.
    I think Starbucks are all about the presentation rather than the coffee and sometimes that's fine. I'd rather not see them on every street though.

cashback wrote: »
    I'd rather not see them on every street though.

But I'd like to see them on at least one! :(

But I'd like to see them on at least one! :(
    I heard a rumour that they're going in where Sisley was apparently...

Not that it's much consellation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

have you ever wondered why there is no starbucks in Italy? :D

have you ever wondered why there is no starbucks in Italy? :D

The same reason there's no Pizza Hut or Domino's in Italy.

Doesn't necessarily mean Pizza Hut isn't nice though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

So I take it that starbucks didn't open in galway? Or did it? I got addicted to their coffees while studying in UCC down in Cork, the college coffee shop served the most popular of starbuck's hot drinks and there was an actual starbucks in the airport. I missed their skinny caramel macciatos after moving to Ennis until BBs came along - they do a mean skinny caramel latte, Costas aren't bad either but not as nice IMO.....And now I'll miss them too when I move to Galway unless anyone can recommend somewhere that serves similar coffees? Like maybe this mocha beans place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Hughes and Hughes in the Galway shopping Centre which closed has now re-opened as an Easons bookshop as they bought nearly all the Hughes and Hughes sites.

They have a Cafe called Tiki Cafe which has Mocha's, Frappes and other bits and pieces. The woman running it ran it when it was Insomnia and just before it closed down.

I have trawled the streets of Galway looking for a good Coffee and if its not Java, its Puro(others as well obviously). Not really anything exciting to get your "laughing gear" around.

That being said I would probably try Cafe Revive on Shop St/Cross Street and also on Eyre Street.

Also there is a new Coffee shop called "The Bake House" which is on Lombard Street. It is part owned by Arabica but the girl working there really knows her stuff and has a good offering. Her Coffee menu is actually a breath of fresh air to read. I had a nice Flat White in there recently.

BTW, No starbucks as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

Butlers or Lavazza for me, i would hate to see star bucks open a branch in Galway, thought we dodge the burger king and KFC but they even managed to get in, shame last thing Galway needs is another fast food or coffee franchise opening.

The Chocolate Box on Shop Street do a really good caramel latte! Not to mention yummee chocolates - highly recommend their Tia Maria Tease one. Also very much like Revive Cafe's caramel latte (which I think it on High St but please correct me someone if I've got that wrong) plus they stay open until 4am some nights (if not all).

Cafe Revive is on Cross Street and Eyre Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fwiw the uni cafe started doing starbucks coffee, I think they do the popular starbucks drinks like UL have.

Berty, I think you're on about the other cafe up near Debenhams are you? The Revive Cafe I'm on about is on the corner of High Street when you turn to go to Busker Browne's. They do ice cream, crepes, salads, and great caramel latte, and hazelnut americano.
    Myself and friends have concluded that Chocolate Box's coffee is better tho (and locally made/roasted apparently), but they don't open late... :(

Yes like I say

"Cross Street"

&

"Eyre Street"

Same ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

• Advertisement
Advertisement