Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends and Foes

Options
  • 03-08-2008 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen this on other message boards: along with your friends list would it be possible to add a foe list? Im looking at you, SimpleSam06.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

DeVore - I have my reasons! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

*scribbles on enemy list* You're in for it now, Overheal! :mad: Only joking look what I wrote! :D

I REALLY
    Tony Overheal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't have any friends on my list. *sobs into a pillow*

Besides, isn't this basically the same as an ignore list?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

People are going to argue, disagree and not get on over the normal course of a discussion forum anyways - Why drag it down to a "He's on my foe list, so I don't like him" or "He's wrong, I'm going to put him in my foes list so everyone can see".

It's more fun when it's not as petty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't have any friends on my list. *sobs into a pillow*

Besides, isn't this basically the same as an ignore list?
    erm on the other site, yes. but it would be fun to have it just as another group of 'friends' that were actually your foes.

Ruu youre just a whole bunch of crazy tonight arentya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's a neat idea but someone's bound to get pissy over it. Wouldn't really affect me anyway since everyone on Boards ignores loves me.

well take the notification out of it. none of the emails that tell you you have a friends request at boards.ie, no approval. after all its a foe. keep your enemies close and all that. When someone views my page it would be nice of them to know what scum make me blood curtle.

Ehm ... Bug!!

Man, I really hate that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You know people are just going to put their friends on it in an ironic kinda way and the whole already pointless idea will become even more pointless.

Although a Boards' Most Notorious List for the posters considered the most foey* would be interesting.

*it's a word - look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I don't know if vBulletin supports it, but phpBB certainly does. I suppose there's always a hack going around anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

while i'd love it. it'd bring more trouble than it'd be worth.

Feck it, lets go hog wild

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Overheal wrote: »
    I've seen this on other message boards: along with your friends list would it be possible to add a foe list? Im looking at you, SimpleSam06.
    Well you may as well put me down first on your list as I think you are a shit stirrer with that idea

Terrible idea.........the less they know about your true feelings the more chance you have luring them up the mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

muffler wrote: »
    Well you may as well put me down first on your list as I think you are a shit stirrer with that idea
    Yeah, what exactly would the advantage be? God knows there's enough hostility on Boards as it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This is a bit like the thread recently on whether you should be able to see if someone is ignoring you.

IIRC, the word from the top was a definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Fajitas! wrote: »
    People are going to argue, disagree and not get on over the normal course of a discussion forum anyways - Why drag it down to a "He's on my foe list, so I don't like him" or "He's wrong, I'm going to put him in my foes list so everyone can see".

It's more fun when it's not as petty :)
    What you've just said is all lies. Well you're wrong, I'm going to put you in my foes list so everyone can see.

You're on my foe list now, so I don't like you.

nevf wrote: »
    What you've just said is all lies. Well you're wrong, I'm going to put you in my foes list so everyone can see.

You're on my foe list now, so I don't like you.

Any foe of Fajitas is a foe of mine. Nevf added :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

javaboy wrote: »
    Any foe of Fajitas is a foe of mine. Nevf added :mad:

+1 ;)

This isn't a good idea, as it invokes comparisons to the karma system-which died a death due to abuse.

Even the thanks system in its current guise has been abused by numpties who think that the amount of +1's or profile views one has on an internet site actually means diddly squat.

Besides, it's not too hard to figure out who the friends and foes are around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, what exactly would the advantage be? God knows there's enough hostility on Boards as it is.

[sings]Someones afraid that they'll be on the liiiii-ists......[/sings]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This isn't a good idea, as it invokes comparisons to the karma system-which died a death due to abuse.
    What was the karma system?

• Advertisement

Isn't it implied that any boards users not explicitly on your friends list are your foes anyway?

Having to actually add them all would take ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dudess wrote: »
    What was the karma system?

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Karma
    The Karma system was a way of Moderators punishing/rewarding posters they thought needed it. Unlike the reputation system only moderators could issue points.

Because of this the system was horribly flawed. Moderators who got annoyed with someone in a different forum would punish them in the forum they moderated. Others would give points to friends.

It was eventually scrapped but not before Bubbles gave his account details out to everyone in protest.

It is also a gathering Card.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Reputation
    People who got confused by the rep system, often started threads wondering about it or complaining. This usually resulted in Negative Rep for the thread poster.

The system for scoring was based on your rank (User, Moderator, Admin), your post count, your current repuation, when you registered your account and the reputation of the person you are giving good/bad rep to. Depending on these factors your score could change dramatically. In some cases having no effect on the other persons score.

Another flawed part of the system was the ability to leave anonymous messages with your reputation given. Some people used this to abuse other members thinking they could not be tracked. However the admins could see who sent the message and slapped a few people for doing this. At least one person was banned.

The admins switched off the anonymous reputation a short while before it was discontinued. The number of complaints and tit-for-tat reputation giving increased due to this and is probably in part of accelerating the shutting down of the reputation system.

Other rep threads include the now infamous Cuckoos Nest thread located here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199089 This thread is quite the opposite to other reputation threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Eh don't you know you need to look in the mirror and say my name five times to get me to show up? :D Seriously though, I'm active on a lot of other forums, moderator on a few of them, some have this system, I basically ignore it, despite having built up enormous friend and foe lists in some cases, entirely without my interaction on that level.

Most posters deal with posts on their individual merits, they might be in agreement on some things, but lay into other ideas with a will. Getting personal in discussion threads isn't constructive, which is why its a bannable offence, and a system like this lends itself to getting personal, or causing arguments where otherwise there need not have been any.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Surely having a foe's list would only serve to be devisive & go against the grain of what boards is all about - ie, a community of communities.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Surely having a foe's list would only serve to be devisive & go against the grain of what boards is all about - ie, a community of communities.

[divil's advocate]Interesting point but should we really try to create an artificial community where everybody is everybody's friend? In real life, people have enemies so if we are trying to replicate communities online, why shouldn't we have enemies there also?[/divil's advocate]

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

[divil's advocate]Interesting point but should we really try to create an artificial community where everybody is everybody's friend? In real life, people have enemies so if we are trying to replicate communities online, why shouldn't we have enemies there also?[/divil's advocate]

most people don't have 'enemies' IRL. They have friends and stay away from people they don't like. On boards you are forced into close proximity with the opinions of people you may dislike. Why publish a list of them? Put them on ignore and keep it to yourself.

(Interesting that people are using putting people on ignore lists as an announcement a lot lately)

If this was actually going to happen you you could make the ignore list public and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't have enemies in real life. Certainly, there are people that I intensely dislike. I avoid or ignore them when possible, but I don't go around wearing a sandwich board stating "I think Xxxx Xxxxxxxxxx is a twat".

What would it achieve other than to advertise the fact that I let that person get up my nose so much that I had let the the world know? Smacks of insecurity if you ask me.

Of course when I started this thread I was thinking more along the lines of "nemesis" and "worthy adversaries" but youve all gone and twisted it with your negativity. eww.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Personally I think "Boards Tribes" would be a better idea.

Then we could feud.

Who wants to be in NO*?

*No Overheals.

• Advertisement

Then we can play Boards Survivor and Lost: on Boards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement