Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends and Foes

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Overheal wrote: »
    Of course when I started this thread I was thinking more along the lines of "nemesis" and "worthy adversaries" but youve all gone and twisted it with your negativity. eww.

ignore list +1.:D

wish I had some worthy adversaries though. that'd be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Of course when I started this thread I was thinking more along the lines of "nemesis" and "worthy adversaries" but youve all gone and twisted it with your negativity. eww.

Our negativity?

If you had phrased your original post better then we maybe wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Our negativity?

If you had phrased your original post better then we maybe wouldn't be having this discussion.

Stick him on your enemy list Hill Billy! That'll learn em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sure while we are at it, why not add a hottie list and a nottie list?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Eh don't you know you need to look in the mirror and say my name five times to get me to show up? :D Seriously though, I'm active on a lot of other forums, moderator on a few of them, some have this system, I basically ignore it, despite having built up enormous friend and foe lists in some cases, entirely without my interaction on that level.

Most posters deal with posts on their individual merits, they might be in agreement on some things, but lay into other ideas with a will. Getting personal in discussion threads isn't constructive, which is why its a bannable offence, and a system like this lends itself to getting personal, or causing arguments where otherwise there need not have been any.

Hey, Simplesam06

What other forums are there besides boards.ie, are there really that many social forum's.

Granted there are high tech forums etc.. but actual social forums are really quite rare in ireland. I might join one to check it out.
    javaboy wrote: »
    [divil's advocate]Interesting point but should we really try to create an artificial community where everybody is everybody's friend? In real life, people have enemies so if we are trying to replicate communities online, why shouldn't we have enemies there also?[/divil's advocate]

It's nowhere near the same, some types of people ( not mentioning anyone ) , and by the way overheal your list would be very long, can be very personal or have a more risky sense of humour online while offline they are completely different, and before anyone disagree's with me, which happens online alot, there is no way that in real life enemys sit in close proximity and have very heated and personal conversation's.

Enemy's hate each other sometimes over things that were decades ago, and don;t really know each other, and some people hate people by just their name or as is commmon accent hair or background.

Online it's anonymous and enemy's can be friends and so forth. The reason from my perspective you should not compile a foe's list is -as has been pointed out - things get very personal, and users are identifiable and to have to tolerate anonymous hate mail would be demoralising, as well as illegal.

Some users have posted photo's and very basic identifiers and i am sure overheal has too, and it's because of these identifiers and regardless of whether I like you as a user, that I try to be reasonable and avoid the personal animosity and hate.

As real society is so different in so many ways to online community and because online community is more frequently caustic and because of the fact real people share their identifiable traits, then you have real life community merging into a online community. It would be the choice of sticking your hand into a wasps nest or a managing a beehive artificially.

In one instance you would get stung for real with little or no prospect of honey, while with a bee hive you can be the beekeeper and avoid stings and even get some honey albiet artificial tastless stuff, but at least it's honey.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Our negativity?

What do you think overheal, time to try out another online community that shares your views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

pirelli wrote: »
    something something caustic(?) something

What do you think overheal, time to try out another online community that shares your views.

So this has gone from a question about a feature from other boards and turned into GTFO Overheal? Dayamn. I think the thread has run its natural course. Conclusion: nobody likes the idea. Grand: Just Asking. Apologies for the brief/misleading OP on that regard.

/thread

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So this has gone from a question about a feature from other boards and turned into GTFO Overheal? Dayamn. I think the thread has run its natural course. Conclusion: nobody likes the idea. Grand: Just Asking.

/thread

on the bright side it looks like you'll have plenty of entries for your foes list if the idea every does come to fruition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

pirelli wrote: »
    Hey, Simplesam06

What other forums are there besides boards.ie, are there really that many social forum's.

Granted there are high tech forums etc.. but actual social forums are really quite rare in ireland. I might join one to check it out.
    Eh boards is where its at in terms of Irish social forums, there are a few others of course, but nothing in the same class, which is why we all love it. I was referring to those high tech forums of course, I hang out in slashdot a lot and have been known to troll fark from time to time, among others. I tried the property pin there, but while its a good read, its hard to find dissenting opinions (probably because they have it mostly right over there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've seen this on other message boards: along with your friends list would it be possible to add a foe list? Im looking at you, SimpleSam06.

I think it would lead to bullying (like what happened with the reputation system) so I say no!

I think any additional features should be positive only, like the new "thanks" feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'm bored. Anyone want a scrap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'm bored. Anyone want a scrap?

Who the fuck do you think you are, walking on here, thinking you're hard. You'll never be as cool as me...

I'm the clear winner of this scrap...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement