Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband router questions

Options
  • 03-08-2008 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

My father in law is having some broadband problems. I have to go over there
    to troubleshoot it. Basically he is getting no connection. I should be pretty competent at troubleshooting it although I'm not anyway near as familiar with the basic Zytel router which he has with his 1Mbps Broadband connection.
    Are there any quick tips on how to check the router ? I know there are a series of LEDs on the unit similar to the Netopia 2247NWG model which comes with the Eircom BB package. Is there a web interface ? On the Netopia the address for the web admin (default) is 192.168.1.254 ? Anything similar on the basic Zytel model (standard issue with BT broadband?)

I'm taking over my laptop, a DSL microfilter, an ethernet patch cable and the standard wall socket telco connector so that I can isolate the issue by seeing if I can bring my own laptop online.
    Any basic tips welcomed.

-ipl

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Reboot PC and Modem
    Check the cables
    ping the modem
    Ping an external location
    if you can get the modem but not an external location
    Check the password and user name

• Registered Users Posts: 29 julius128

IP address of Zyxel routers are 192.168.1.1
    default username and password is admin/1234

Make sure DSL light is Solid Green if not check the connection to the main phone point in the house. cable running from main phone point should not be over 8 feet long.

if the DSL light is solid green then in web browser type the ip address and run a diagnostic test under the maintenance category and make sure you pass all the test. if its failed in authentication you need to re enter the ISP username and password (you can get it from BT tech support).
    if its failed in the ATM loopback you need to unplug the modem from the socket for 15 min and connect it directly with no microfilter to the main phone socket in the hallway (make sure you are not using the phone sockets in the rooms)
    if you connect it again after 15 min and failed on that test, need to contact Tech Support and they should order a line test.

hope it was a help...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Julius, what does failing the loopback test mean? I have connection although at only about half my 8Mb speed. I have checked the loopback several times over the last month or so and it allways says failed, but connection does work, stats aint great either. Just curious.

To the original poster, sorry for butting in.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 julius128

paddyk wrote: »
    Julius, what does failing the loopback test mean? I have connection although at only about half my 8Mb speed. I have checked the loopback several times over the last month or so and it allways says failed, but connection does work, stats aint great either. Just curious.

To the original poster, sorry for butting in.:D
    ATM loopback test, tests whether the router is able to contact network through the phone line.
    If it still fails, then there is a problem with your broadband line (the router can see as far as the telephone exchange, but no farther than that, so cannot log on or intermittant connection which cause the slow speed). If you are sure that you have the router connected to the correct phone line, then you should contact Technical Support

Advertisement