Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sprucing up car

Options
  • 03-08-2008 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

I hardly think a few stickers is classed as modifying but this section seemed the proper place to ask?

I have a white corolla saloon with spoiler. I love it, i love white 'chunky' cars but i was thinking of putting a few stickers on it or somthing, you know the flames down the side or somthing.

First of all will they come off easily without damaging the paintwork and secondly would they look ridiculous?

I'm no boy racer, i'm 33 with 2 kids (female), it must be a mid life crisis but i fancy a change without changing my car.

All/any suggestions welcome! I can put a pic of car up later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

DO NOT put flames down the side of your car, why would anyone think that looks good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

*Tripper* wrote: »
    DO NOT put flames down the side of your car, why would anyone think that looks good?

LOL I dont know it just looks so plain or something and i didnt see any body kits for it, probably because it already has a big bumper?

Its obvious i dont know much about cars!

But I would like to do something with it?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You don't have to go for massive flames down the side to spruce up your car. I'd start small, change your set covers and throw in a nice set of mats. Different alloys (or even hub caps) can make a nice change. Next would be maybe chrome strips. I put some on my last car across the bumper on some plain black strips. Brightened it up a lot. Don't go mad or it'll look nasty! You can get small stickers that will show pretty much anything. From babe on board to moms taxi. There's loads of modified car websites about, you should check them out for ideas. www.midnightclub.ie is one popular one, or you can look for one car specific.

Oh, new plates can sometimes look well, don't get them too illegal though, unless you like getting pulled over.

Ok this is my car. WOuld you leave it as it is or do something with the body?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

leave it as it is but fix the front bumper

• Advertisement

Thanks i just saw your post. Nothing pink for me, and no babes or princess on board, they make me cringe. Self praise is no praise :-)

guil07 wrote: »
    leave it as it is but fix the front bumper

What you mean fix it? Its not broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Just lower it and get a set of 16'' alloys..maybe tint the windows. DO NOT get flames!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Duff wrote: »
    Just lower it and get a set of 16'' alloys..maybe tint the windows. DO NOT get flames!

Yup that'd Do It...

Tints & A Nice Set Of White Alloys will look sweet

Yeah, some nice wheels would make a big difference. A light tint would be cool too.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Yeah, some nice wheels would make a big difference. A light tint would be cool too.

Will do that. The windows already look slightly tinted, more smokey than tinted.

I was under the impression tinted windows were frowned upon at the NCT? Ignorance on my part listening to scaremongering rumours :D!

Thanks for the advice - now off to adverts.ie for some alloys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Will do that. The windows already look slightly tinted, more smokey than tinted.

I was under the impression tinted windows were frowned upon at the NCT? Ignorance on my part listening to scaremongering rumours :D!

Thanks for the advice - now off to adverts.ie for some alloys!!

Your rear windscreen and rear side windows can be as dark as you like, fronts have to be within the legal limit..not sure what that is though..

Duff wrote: »
    Your rear windscreen and rear side windows can be as dark as you like, fronts have to be within the legal limit..not sure what that is though..

My OH has an integra i drive sometimes with tinted windows and i cannot for the life of me see out the back window when reversing hence not taking it out at night !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

put some nice alloys on it, Toyota's 16" TTE wheels for your model would be my recommendation.

Or get something sporty instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

get some multi spoke dark alloys like oz supper leggras(spelling) maybe in an antricite colour.
    take off the factory mudflaps and go on ebay and get some decent ones and while your on there get some trd stickers......small ones maybe in red or black and put them low down on the car maybe on the front and back bumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get some multi spoke dark alloys like oz supper leggras(spelling) maybe in an antricite colour.
    take off the factory mudflaps and go on ebay and get some decent ones and while your on there get some trd stickers......small ones maybe in red or black and put them low down on the car maybe on the front and back bumpers.

why would you get TRD stickers for a 1.4 base model Corolla with OZ alloys?
    Each to their own, but I reckon all those items you suggested are going to make the car look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well i think best think for you would put on some nice alloys, that would make your car alot more different, you will see.

Changing covers is not bad way aswell. Put some stereo in to it.

But for all gods sake, dont put any chrome bull*pyp* strips on your car.
    It looks cheap, and ather people will think you have no taste and you are cheap*pyp*. Its like budget tuning. I lought so much when i see cars with those crome strips on rear lights, on doors etc.

Stickers on car... well after you put on some nice alloys, maybe in some black finish... Put some dodge viper style strips on your car, black color. Will look really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    why would you get TRD stickers for a 1.4 base model Corolla with OZ alloys?
    Each to their own, but I reckon all those items you suggested are going to make the car look ridiculous.

the op is looking to put some sort of graphics on the car and i think descreet trd decals would suit it a hell of a lot better then lightning bolts or flames. imo doing anything to a 1.4 corolla other than keeping it clean and well serviced is a waste of time but the op is looking for suggestions and those where mine

Well i think best think for you would put on some nice alloys, that would make your car alot more different, you will see.

Changing covers is not bad way aswell. Put some stereo in to it.

But for all gods sake, dont put any chrome bull*pyp* strips on your car.
    It looks cheap, and ather people will think you have no taste and you are cheap*pyp*. Its like budget tuning. I lought so much when i see cars with those crome strips on rear lights, on doors etc.

Stickers on car... well after you put on some nice alloys, maybe in some black finish... Put some dodge viper style strips on your car, black color. Will look really nice.

Quite often they look crap. I still think mine looked well.

2734525669_0298e2614c.jpg?v=0

Quite often they look crap. I still think mine looked well.

2734525669_0298e2614c.jpg?v=0
    well that colt looks really nice m8. but i dont see those crome strips we were talking about ;) . Or you have managed to put them so they dont stick out from cars style.

I hope you dont have those things around your rare lights ;)

• Advertisement

See, so subtle you didn't notice them. Two lines going across the front bumper. There was two black plastic bars across there, so on a black car it looks great. Sold the car a while back.

Most times I've seen them are on the backs of transits, carefully bent around the lights. :puke

Or on wind deflectors. That's just wrong.

See, so subtle you didn't notice them. Two lines going across the front bumper. There was two black plastic bars across there, so on a black car it looks great. Sold the car a while back.

Most times I've seen them are on the backs of transits, carefully bent around the lights. :puke

Or on wind deflectors. That's just wrong.

true those 2 lines make it look nice, but you putted them on perfect place, where you wount even suspect :D.

once i sow them on 98 passat, around the doors. i just bursted loutghing in middle of tesco carpark, people thought i am some weirdo :D.

If people using those things like you do, it can be used all the time then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Trinity1 wrote: »
    I hardly think a few stickers is classed as modifying but this section seemed the proper place to ask?

I have a white corolla saloon with spoiler. I love it, i love white 'chunky' cars but i was thinking of putting a few stickers on it or somthing, you know the flames down the side or somthing.

First of all will they come off easily without damaging the paintwork and secondly would they look ridiculous?

I'm no boy racer, i'm 33 with 2 kids (female), it must be a mid life crisis but i fancy a change without changing my car.

All/any suggestions welcome! I can put a pic of car up later.

lol... just lol, adding stickers like flame are OK only if apllyed correctly, dont add performace stcikers, too many colts, civics and such going around with pontiac racing and such american manufactuars on the side of em...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Oh god..
    Chrome is out but viper style stripes are in?

tasteless tbh. not that chrome is good, it's very very bad..but viper style stripes? even worse.

http://www.potn.co.uk/p1034059.htm
    those alloys, lower it 40-50mm all around.

You've instantly a lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I wouldn't bother lowering it, it'll be fairly sale proof afterwards. You could throw 17"s under it though. Also wash it and give it a good polishing. The white is turning cream-ish. Tint the windows some more, not too much, change the mats inside, give it a good cleaning. If you're going to lower it then you may as well go the whole hog and change the front bumper, get side skirts and change the rear bumper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Considering the title of the thread contains the word 'sprucing' I don't think you really want to heavily modify the car. so the safest route to take is to buy a set of decent alloys, 16" or 17" would be fine and neither would require work to be done to make them fit. Window tints is a good idea and should change the overall outlook of your car. I'd stay away from all kinds of stickers be it flames or viper stripes, both only look anyway respectable if done to a seriously modified and appropriate car.

Consider subtle bumper extensions and subtle side skirts and you'd be surprised how decent and generally modifies that will make your car look.

A lot of the advice given here is generally good but might be a bit extreme for what you are after. Afterall the car is being modified to suit you not some current trend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I still think a good polish is the best and cheapest place to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry Biro I actually meant to start off my last post by saying that I agree with everything you said in your post. Sometimes getting the simple things right is enough.

Thanks for all the replies.

i think it only looks creamish due to lighting of the photo it looks pretty white in real life!

Hoping to get it valeted today anyway and didnt realise alloys were so expensive. That'll have to wait!

• Advertisement
Advertisement